Nursing and compression socks

Options
I am a nursing student and spend hours on my feet with clinical placements and then at my job, I also spend hours on my feet.
Was just wondering if any of you guys also spend a lot of time standing and the benefits of compression socks.

Replies

• firlena227
    firlena227 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I'm a nurse too & can sympathise with the long shifts & sad legs/feet! I always wear either support tights (I use firm support ones from the chemist) or compression socks (I buy Activa, tried other cheaper ones but they're just not as good). I definitely feel the difference from when I haven't worn them, less puffyness to your feet & generally more comfortable legs... plus I used to do a lot of leg ulcer clinics, & seeing some of those badboys is enough motivation to look after your legs! :)
  • reversemigration
    reversemigration Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Nursing here as well, and I find that I can tell the difference on days when I wear my compression socks and days where I've forgotten.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Im a nurse and nursing student. I wear compression socks from scrubs and beyond 20-30 compression. I wear them every shift. I have varicose veins and these help them from getting worse. I also bought compression leggings on amazon for $30, I haven't tried them yet. Im hoping those will help even more,
  • Rayanne203
    Rayanne203 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Hey, I am a student nurse finishing up my preceptorship and compression socks have been my saving grace! I can tolerate standing 12 hours and not have leg/ foot pain! I recommend 20-30mmhg, no less.
  • cmuise19
    cmuise19 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I am able to work without my legs or feet feeling tired. So I just didnt see the need to start wearing them. But a lot of people swear by them. So I wasnt sure if I should start the investment now or not
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Not a nurse but have had calf pain over 5 years with last year also having back of thigh pain. Every time I mentioned the pain to the doc, they would do a doppler to look for blood clots. Complained the next year, sent me to vein doc who also just did a doppler. It wasn't until my doc moved and a new doc came that he recommended the compression socks (at this point I now had varicose veins, before just spider veins). The pain I have 30 compression makes all these marks all over my ankle and on the top of the calf and sometimes marks by the tops of the toes. I just figured out if I wear them inside out, then the toes don't get those seam lines. Any specific brand you recommend? Someone above mentioned Activa. p.s. I still don't know why I have pain in calf and thigh. I do have bone on bone but do not have knee pain anymore.
  • lyonsgirlpl8054
    lyonsgirlpl8054 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am a nurse and I definitely can tell the difference in ankle swelling and tiredness in my legs on the days I don’t wear compression socks. I wear the PROcompression socks that my coworkers suggested. Best support of all the brands I have tried over the years. Plus I like the colors!!
  • Remoth
    Remoth Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I wear them fairly regularly. I looked all over the place locally and none had the sizes that would fit my large calves, so I went to amazon and found some there for 25 bucks a pair. 4xl with wide calves! Instead of needing to special order sets for over $100 each.

My uncle who had breast cancer has some swelling in his arm, which he uses compression sleeves and gloves to counteract it. Went from spending hundreds for a single set at the medical supply stores, to 40 bucks on amazon. Just crazy some of the prices of stuff.
  • compressionguides
    Options
    Compression socks are very handy especially if you intend to stand for long hours. these socks have special materials which keep the legs comfortable during the day. check out the link here, it contains all the relevant information regarding nursing compression socks
    https://compressionguides.com/best-compression-socks-for-nurses/
  • Daisy_Girl2019
    Daisy_Girl2019 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I stole TED hose cause I'm bad, and I'm cheap. 😉
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I am a former massage therapist who had a bad habit of way over scheduling myself. I did not work nursing type long hours but up to 9-10. Compression socks helped with my leg tiredness quite a bit. I never got foot pain but I have a few knots of spider veins that swell like bad varicose veins can and they would be sore at the end of the day quite often. When I started wearing compression that was reduced noticeably. I now wear them after long runs, long hikes, or days I am on my feet too much. I also take a migraine med that tends to cause restless leg type symptoms and if I wear the socks in the evening that is reduced.