How to tell people I'm not joining the step challenge

Options
At my job, I'm on the Living Well Committee, and we are starting a new monthly step challenge program where you pay an entry fee and the top 3 steppers win cash prizes. Hasn't been completely hashed out yet. It seems like a good way to get people active, being that something like 2/3 of people are overweight these days, probably even more in my office building. But I'm not overweight and I'm doing more weight lifting these days, so a step challenge for me would be a waste of time and money. Being that I'm on the committee that is coordinating this activity, what's a better way to tell people why I'm not joining the challenge other than saying it'll put me on the fast track to skinny-fat? I have this problem where I'm too blunt with people.

Replies

• michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Just tell them to step back jk just say it's not for you.
  • TarahByte
    TarahByte Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm saying if I forego weight lifting and then only do what maximizes my steps, I will definitely lose muscle.
  • TarahByte
    TarahByte Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    funjen1972 wrote: »
    Avoid the conflict!

For instance: My role is to encourage everyone so I don't want to be biased by competing. (((Then wave your pompoms 🎉)))

This is what I'm saying. I'd even get pompoms if I had to.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    TarahByte wrote: »
    Ok I guess y'all didn't catch my mild sarcasm in my original post. Mostly, I'm dealing with older ladies and I don't even want to mention weight lifting because even my own mother scoffs at weight lifting because it isn't a "lady-like" thing to do and I'll get "too muscular". (I am not muscular at all). Basically I want a light-hearted joking way to say thanks but no thanks. Even if it's a lie. Gimme a cute line to say!

Well, in that case, can't you use the excuse that since you're ON the committee you can't participate? Conflict of interest or something like that. Certainly not a "cute" line but that's all I've got right now.