Looking for an accountability partner - UK or Europe based

Options
JAT74
JAT74 Posts: 1,078 Member
Hi, I've been a member of MFP for several years now but have only used it on and off recently to keep a food diary. After a lot of ups and downs in general over the last few years with my weight and fitness I now know what works and what doesn't work for me. I know that calorie counting and trying to keep to a fairly balanced diet which is high fibre and fairly low sugar works best, and that I shouldn't restrict any particular foods as I'm likely to go back to old habits.

I have a desk job and work from hom so I'm sitting for most of the day but I'm reasonably active other than that. I'm into fitness and use my gym at home to do some cardio and also weight training with medium sized weights or body weight exercises 3-4 times a week. I have a back injury which comes and goes due to an accident a few years ago so have be a little careful. If it starts playing up I sometimes have to have a break for a week or two. I also have a small dog so walk her twice a day for 20-30 minutes each walk and at weekends take her on longer walks. I have Fitbit which helps me make sure I'm doing enough steps and there are a lot of stairs in our house, but the main issue I have with keeping on track to try and reach my goal weight and body fat % is I don't have a workout partner or someone to help me stick to my plan in terms of calorie intake or workouts. A couple of years ago I met what I thought would be a great groups of health/fitness friends who would be able to do this but our walking/workout group who I went to a few gym classes with and on regular long walks and also to a Yoga retreat with has now turned into a very little exercise/going out drinking group instead. I've now distanced myself from that as they are mainly ladies who have free time during the day (which I don't) and I also don't want to fall into that kind of lifestyle because I've seen it kill too many expats here in Spain. Alcohol is cheap and it can be nice to have a few drinks in an afternoon or evening but it's not good for you. My partner and I used to train together and stick to healthy eating but he has an illness which means he needs to keep his weight up these days as he lost way too much through no fault of his own in the last 4 years. This means he now eats all the time! He also eats a lot of junk food as otherwise his weight will drop really quickly, so it's always in the house and I find it hard not to join him at times, especially during holiday season.

We live in Spain near the beach and have a flat there too which we use at weekends, so I want to make sure that this year isn't going to be another year where I have to hide under clothes and don't go to the beach with friends and family because it really makes me miserable. Unfortunately for that to be the case I need to lose at least 21-28lbs as I just don't feel comfortable otherwise. I'm not gaining weight at the moment and my 'natural' weight seems to be around 146lbs so I'm maintaining that most of the time, but I need to be losing again.

Not only that, but for my health, I really need to get my body fat % down to a much more acceptable level as it's currently 34% which is really high. My last blood test also showed I had slightly high Cholesterol too so this also concerns me.

In order to have a chance of losing the majority of the weight before summer (though realistically I know I don't have time to get it all off before then), I need to be losing 2lbs a week and that means eating around 1000 calories each day maximum. I think it's doable but I really need someone in a similar position or who's done similar before to keep an eye on me, help keep me motivated and of course I will do the same. I would have loved to have found someone local to me who could do this, but I've tried and a lot of the people around me just don't have the same goals. Most people I know aren't of a healthy mindset, aren't into doing regular exercise and prefer to plan their next trip out drinking than anything else, even if their 40s or 50s.

So if there's anyone who can do this and would like me to help them too, I'd love to hear from you. Maybe we could then keep in touch on Whatsapp so we can have daily check ins etc.

Thanks for reading!

Replies

• thelandkraken
    thelandkraken Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I’m not exactly in the same position as you, I have a LOT more weight to lose (about 150lbs in total). But I am trying to exercise 3 times a week, as well as log all my food to calorie goal, and I’m UK based. So if you don’t mind that I’m not at the exact same goals as you, I’d be happy to be accountability buddies :)
  • JAT74
    JAT74 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I've sent you a friend request thelandkraken
  • thelandkraken
    thelandkraken Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    :) Excellent