diet pills???

Options
Is there anyone on here that takes them?

do they work?

are they bad for you???

i know a girl who got addicted to diet pills and she developed such bad stomach ulcers that she cant use the toilet now.. she has to be emptied at the hospital every 4 months :| urgh.... i definitely dont want that to happen but ive heard some really good success stories from using appetite suppressants

Replies

• morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    NOOOOO !!! eat less, move more ,its about life style changes not a "diet"....
  • surabhit
    surabhit Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Don't do that. Don't try them. They DO NOT work!
    My aunt's tried every form of diet pill there is, and she's only gotten bigger when she quit them. They made her depressed, and she didn't stop eating. In fact she ate more.
    There's no way around it - don't diet, just start with a small workout that you like.
    As an example, a friend of mine from school walked off almost 20kgs. Just walking. No running, no jogging. Walking at a decent pace, for an hour a day.
    Best of luck
  • Vhovell
    Vhovell Posts: 286
    Options
    Before finding this I tried a Nutraslim pill but you take loads a day. So i've just got them in my drawer at home big waste of money! Unfortunately it was a free trial but then they wouldn't let me cancel!

I must prefer this way - slowly but surely! :o)
  • Bsp120167
    Bsp120167 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I don't think any of them out there really work. I experimented with them in my early years and found the only ones which sort of worked were the ones which had Ephedrine which is now outlawed in the USA because of abuse.

Lifestyle changes are better. Getting fit is not easy and there is no magic pill.
  • TheShelterCat
    Options
    I use Hydroxycut but I only use it to keep my energy up while working out. Im almost positive it hasnt helped me lose any of the weight but it is really helpful for getting me through workouts when I normally would have stopped halfway through. IMO, the only way to actually lose any weight is to control your calories and exercise!
  • Johnreeves999
    Options
    You could try one issued by a doctor. Its called orlistat and they work for me. Make sure you dont have a meal with lots of fat in or it hurts and can be very messy.
  • FattySins
    Options
    I have taken some and must admit that it only works for a few days. I think if you can't control your hunger it is much more in your head than physical, and off course no pill will change that. You need to get your state of mind right, else you will just go straight back to how you were before.
  • jily310
    jily310 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My whole life I tried diets, pills, any type of quick fix. Nothing worked. MFP is the only way to go, rat healthy and exercise...its the only thing that really works_
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    I have tried many different things over the years. DO you know where I got the best results. Good Ole Hard Work and CLEAN healthy eating. The pills are a waste of money! Hard Work Pays off!!!!!
  • fifijennings4
    Options
    thanks for everyones advice.. i dont over eat and i do plenty of exercise, just wanted to know if anyone had any success with them. from all of your advice, i dont think ill bother haha xxx
  • EdensMummy
    EdensMummy Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Someone just mentioned Orlistat - in the UK that's what Alli is, which you can get from the pharnacy and basically it prevents your body from absorbing fat - so for every 1lb you lose normally, you would lose another using the pills.

As was said above though, it can have very nasty side effects - if you consume too much fat while taking the pills then basically the fat just drips out of you, literally (as the pills prevent fat absorbtion but obviously if you're consuming it, it has to go somewhere!) so you have to be very strict with your eating!

It is also expensive, maybe £50 a month or more...for that kind of money I think I'd rather join a gym!
  • brandi92602
    brandi92602 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I took Adipex for 3 months and yes it did work. I lost 14 lbs on them. I had to remind myself to eat though because it made me not hungry. I dont think i would go that road again though. I am gonna do it the "old fashioned" way. :)
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    The only diet pills that "work" have things like green tea in them, because of the great effect green tea has on your metabolism, and caffeine so you will be moving and fidgeting more and have more energy to work out. Or, they're a diuretic, and you think you're losing weight but it's just water. Just drink a couple cups of green tea a day (there are also iced tea type powders that are very concentrated green tea so you only have to drink one) and eat something with good energy before your workout!

Diet pills do NOT have to be medically tested or proved to have any effect on your body, there are no guarantees and easy ways out never last.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I wrote a blog on this here:

http://bankshealth.wordpress.com/2011/05/16/my-take-on-diet-pills/

I'll let my blog speak for itself.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options

are they bad for you???

i know a girl who got addicted to diet pills and she developed such bad stomach ulcers that she cant use the toilet now.. she has to be emptied at the hospital every 4 months :| urgh.... i definitely dont want that to happen

you answered your own question. See? You know it but didn't realize it.
    Please stop looking for an easy way out and just try to be the best you that you can be.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Take them, no not bad, of course they work- or they wouldn't sell them!

I recommend taking them a handful at a time and washing them down with lots of vodka.

and drain cleaner. Don't forget to mix your vodka with drain cleaner!
  • voluptas63
    voluptas63 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    i know a girl who got addicted to diet pills and she developed such bad stomach ulcers that she cant use the toilet now.. she has to be emptied at the hospital every 4 months :| urgh....

Hey look, you answered your own question. You're smarter than you appear.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    Take them, no not bad, of course they work- or they wouldn't sell them!

I recommend taking them a handful at a time and washing them down with lots of vodka.

and drain cleaner. Don't forget to mix your vodka with drain cleaner!

then, spritz some WIndex for good measure and duct tape your mouth shut.
  • jazzy020106
    jazzy020106 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I am on phentermine now.. Today is day 3 and so far so good. It has helped with my appetite and energy ALOT. No bad side effects yet. We shall see how it goes =] I was prescribed them from my doctor and was checked out though. I wouldnt buy any online or at the grocery store. when I was like 18 I tried Hydroxycut and they didnt do anything at all.. This is the only other pill for weight loss ive been on since then.