Cheat Meal?

Options
I’ve tried eating much healthier before and always gave up because I miss other foods-panda express, chips, ice cream. What do you all think of a cheat meal- not cheat day, but cheat meal? Not over indulging but just allowing yourself to eat a meal you wouldn’t normally eat? If you do that, how often do you allow yourself to have one?

Replies

• lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I think my life sometimes includes foods like Panda Express so I find ways to work them into my diet. While I do strive to eat a mostly nutritious diet, losing weight is about a calorie deficit, not which foods you eat.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    I don't often have "cheat meals", but all the things you are mentioning I can find ways to work into my regular goal either on a normal basis or with some creative rearranging such as banking calories. Things like Panama Express may be obtainable only on an occasional basis, but things like chips and ice cream should be able to be worked with a fair bit of frequency within ones calorie goal.

I think your issue may have been with classifying things as "healthy" and "non-healthy". Focus on your calorie goal. You may be surprised what you can fit inside of it if you don't unnecessarily classify foods as cheat foods.
  • christianclovers
    christianclovers Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I feel like I have a better idea of what I’m doing now :)
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I don't really consider it a cheat meal. I track it and if I go over my calorie limit, so be it.
  • longkathleenann9291
    longkathleenann9291 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Panda Express is one of my goto favorites! Grilled teriyaki chicken (no sauce) and the super veggies, 2 packets of soy sauce and a fortune cookie comes in at about 400 calories!
  • Dgil1975
    Dgil1975 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I think this really depends on the person, and you have to be honest with yourself. Some people can fit in the junk food into their calories and make it work and they have the self control to not return to old habits and overeat on them. My personal belief is this does not apply to the vast majority of people, and that we need to be honest with ourselves on this issue. I mean look at all the overweight people in our personal lives that have done nothing but yo-yo dieting, and we see it on the forum as well. I think the vast majority of us will only have sustainable success if we embrace a more nutritious healthier eating lifestyle with junk food being truly just a once in a while treat.
  • emmoen
    emmoen Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Dgil1975 wrote: »
    I think this really depends on the person, and you have to be honest with yourself. Some people can fit in the junk food into their calories and make it work and they have the self control to not return to old habits and overeat on them. My personal belief is this does not apply to the vast majority of people, and that we need to be honest with ourselves on this issue. I mean look at all the overweight people in our personal lives that have done nothing but yo-yo dieting, and we see it on the forum as well. I think the vast majority of us will only have sustainable success if we embrace a more nutritious healthier eating lifestyle with junk food being truly just a once in a while treat.

This... I have realized this is me... but my husband is the exception. I find I have more self control around him... so that is when I allow myself those extra foods that I normally can’t eat in moderation. I have slipped while he has been gone this time but I am trying to get back on track.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    I’ve tried eating much healthier before and always gave up because I miss other foods-panda express, chips, ice cream. What do you all think of a cheat meal- not cheat day, but cheat meal? Not over indulging but just allowing yourself to eat a meal you wouldn’t normally eat? If you do that, how often do you allow yourself to have one?

I tend to look at my diet as a whole...my diet on the whole is pretty healthy, but I don't need it to be 100% healthy/clean, etc. The pizza I ate last night for family pizza and movie night didn't somehow magically erase all of the other good nutrition I had during the week...and I don't consider it a "cheat". I'm not cheating on anything...I'm just having a few slices of pizza and watching a movie.