Birth Control

So I have not been on birth control for over 10 years. I am currently 32 years old with no health issues. I have 2 amazing little boys and my husband and I are not planning on having anymore children. So I am considering a birth control to help prevent an accidental pregnancy, however I am concerned with addtional hormones and side effects. We have always used the "pull out" method which has worked and both of our boys have been planned, however I know that our bodies will be changing as we age and I am not looking foward to a possible surprise.

What are your personal experiences with birth control?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Birth control has had no effect on my ability to lose weight
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    edited March 2019
    It can really vary depending on the person. Birth control actually helped regulate my hormones and reduce issues I had. I took it for that purpose, though, not specifically for birth control.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,163 Member
    I've been on birth control pretty much continuously for the last 30 years or so. I've used both the pill and the Mirena (hormonal) IUD. Never noticed any significant side effects from any of them. However, I also never had problems with PMS or difficult periods or any of that and I think women that have those challenges are the ones that have a harder time finding a compatible birth control method.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    When I first went on the BC pill, I had really bad PMS for about 2 days. Basically, I was in a really bad mood, but after that everything regulated itself and I've had no issues. It didn't cause me any weight gain and it actually helped regulate my cycle so I'm actually on a true 28 day cycle, things aren't as heavy, I rarely get cramps, and it's helped do away with some of my hormonal acne, which is why I started BC in the first place. Every person does vary, but my experience has been positive.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    How sure are you that you won't want any more kids ever? I hear it's getting easier to convince your OB-GYN to tie tubes. When it was relevant to me, they wouldn't consider it. Now I've got a husband who's had a vasectomy. That's working out pretty well. But I really liked being on the pill - the predictability of a regular 28 day cycle was awesome, even when I wasn't using it for pregnancy prevention. Not every pill, though - each new doctor or insurance usually meant that I couldn't get the same brand - there were mood swings and sleep disruption with some formulations. And first you have to identify a problem, and then they want you to wait at least 3 months to be sure the side effects aren't going to go away on their own... There are other options - maybe something else appeals to you more?

https://www.birthcontrol.com/options/

Do you already have something specific in mind?
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    I did great on the pill for about 7 years and then had to keep switching because the hormones were causing me some problems. I stopped hormonal birth control when deciding to have a kid. Now, I have had a copper IUD (paragard) for about 1.5 years with no issues.
  • emmoen
    emmoen Posts: 218 Member
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »
    When I first went on the BC pill, I had really bad PMS for about 2 days. Basically, I was in a really bad mood, but after that everything regulated itself and I've had no issues. It didn't cause me any weight gain and it actually helped regulate my cycle so I'm actually on a true 28 day cycle, things aren't as heavy, I rarely get cramps, and it's helped do away with some of my hormonal acne, which is why I started BC in the first place. Every person does vary, but my experience has been positive.

Do you have the name of your BC?
  • emmoen
    How sure are you that you won't want any more kids ever? I hear it's getting easier to convince your OB-GYN to tie tubes. When it was relevant to me, they wouldn't consider it. Now I've got a husband who's had a vasectomy. That's working out pretty well. But I really liked being on the pill - the predictability of a regular 28 day cycle was awesome, even when I wasn't using it for pregnancy prevention. Not every pill, though - each new doctor or insurance usually meant that I couldn't get the same brand - there were mood swings and sleep disruption with some formulations. And first you have to identify a problem, and then they want you to wait at least 3 months to be sure the side effects aren't going to go away on their own... There are other options - maybe something else appeals to you more?

https://www.birthcontrol.com/options/

I’m thinking either the pill or implant. However, with all the different pills I am trying to figure out the best for me. I have had some friends that had the implant but the increased risk of acne with it concerns me.

My husband says he is good with not having anymore kids... I am on the fence... I am open to another child but I don’t want it to be a surprise.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    emmoen wrote: »

I don't remember the name off the top of my head b/c it's generic, but it's a low dose BC b/c ovarian cysts are common in my family. Low dose BC are supposed to reduce the risks of forming ovarian cysts.
  • emmoen

I don't remember the name off the top of my head b/c it's generic, but it's a low dose BC b/c ovarian cysts are common in my family. Low dose BC are supposed to reduce the risks of forming ovarian cysts.

Thank you. I was looking into the low dose BC.
  • aubreyjordan
    aubreyjordan Posts: 276 Member
    I have an IUD. I'm actually on my second one. Since the hormones are localized to the uterus, there are less hormonal side effects than trying a pill. With that said, it doesn't help control acne like the pill does. You can have some cramping for a few days after insertion (I think mine lasted 2 days each time I got one) and your cycle can be thrown off. I think I've had maybe 3 periods in the 4 years I've been using IUDs (first had the 3 year Skyla then switched to the 5 year Kyleena).
  • autumnblade75

I’m thinking either the pill or implant. However, with all the different pills I am trying to figure out the best for me. I have had some friends that had the implant but the increased risk of acne with it concerns me.

My husband says he is good with not having anymore kids... I am on the fence... I am open to another child but I don’t want it to be a surprise.

I considered an implant, but they were off the market during the specific time-frame I inquired. Later, I considered that if the hormone balance wasn't quite right, there was a risk they wouldn't be able to remove it and I'd have to ride it out, no matter how screwed up it made me - and no matter how low the risk was, I didn't want to chance it. Loestrin 24 was my favorite BC pill, but there's no guarantee it'll be the best fit for you.

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    edited March 2019
    I was on various birth control pills for many years due to both having PCOS and not wanting to become pregnant. I experienced depression on one pill, which got better when I switched from a triphasic to a monophasic. Eventually I developed a form of migraine with aura that made it risky for me to take a standard combined oral contraceptive pill. My hormonal options were the implant, progestin-only pill, or hormonal IUD. I chose the IUD because I wanted the longest acting and most reliable contraceptive I could get, and because the idea of the implant freaked me out.

Yes, I was disturbed by the idea of tiny plastic rods in my arm, but not by the idea of a tiny plastic device in my uterus. No, I cannot explain this.

I was obese when I got my first Mirena. I started trying to lose weight while I had it. I was pretty close to my goal weight when I got my second Mirena. Now I've been in maintenance for about a year and a half. I still have the second Mirena, and when the time comes I plan to get a third Mirena. Neither the pill nor the Mirena affected my weight in any way.

As you can see, I really, really love my Mirena.

One of the best things about it is that I have not had a period since the month after I got the first Mirena. That is the biggest reason why I plan to stick with my IUDs instead of sterilization.

Getting an IUD inserted is not the most pleasant thing in the world--though it might be easier for someone who has given birth--but for me it is absolutely worth a little discomfort.

(As for PCOS, my symptoms went away when I lost weight and became more active. I don't know whether that means I no longer have PCOS or am just managing it successfully, though the difference doesn't really matter to me as long as I'm in good health.)
  • Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    edited March 2019
    I've been on Lo Loestrin, Yaz, I've had two implants (implanon then my second was nexplanon) and I currently have the Mirena. Out of all of these, I recommend the mirena and I highly advise against the implant based on my personal experience. The first one was fine and I loved it, hence why i got it again. I'm not sure what changed about it that caused my body to hate the second one but oh boy, it was bad. Acne, mood swings, full on depression and I bled for about a year straight with a week or so break every couple of months. I couldn't take it any more and got it taken out and the mirena put in the same day. I've had mirena for two years now, haven't had a legit period (I bleed maybe 1-2 days every couple of months) and just about all of the side effects from my last BC are gone. If you want to go the low to no hormone route I'd suggest a hormone free IUD over a low hormone dose of the pill, mostly because I'd personally prefer to not have to remember to take a pill and it's more effective.
    I've never had an issue with weight gain or loss, and if I did it wouldn't be the BC's fault, but rather my inability to control hunger/cravings.
  • autumnblade75
    FWIW, I'm really enthused to see all the responses of people who love their IUDs. I freaked out about whiskers hanging out of my cervix, but I was seriously trying to be ok with Paragard, because I REALLY didn't want to have to test out a new round of hormonal options. And then the hubby volunteered to be snipped.
  • Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    FWIW, I'm really enthused to see all the responses of people who love their IUDs. I freaked out about whiskers hanging out of my cervix, but I was seriously trying to be ok with Paragard, because I REALLY didn't want to have to test out a new round of hormonal options. And then the hubby volunteered to be snipped.

Whiskers hanging out of your cervix LOL. That part freaked me out at first too. I was scared for the longest time that theyd get tugged on or pulled.. ya know.. the weirdest part is that you're supposed to "check them" every once in a while. Talk about getting comfortable with your body.
  • autumnblade75

Whiskers hanging out of your cervix LOL. That part freaked me out at first too. I was scared for the longest time that theyd get tugged on or pulled.. ya know.. the weirdest part is that you're supposed to "check them" every once in a while. Talk about getting comfortable with your body.

I worry about them being stabby. I use a menstrual cup, so I have no issue with rooting around in there. That might could have been an issue, too - if the whiskers got caught around the rim of the cup.
  • Girlheidi
    Girlheidi Posts: 60 Member
    My OH volunteered to have the snip. Best thing ever!