New to program

Options
Hi everyone,
My name is Betty Waldron, I am signing up for the program beginning April 1. I am anxious as I don't have a lot of spare time to spend on the computer. I am 67 Y/O retired, returned to part-time work and stay extremely busy in church. Any suggestions on this?

Replies

• BonnieHosk85
    BonnieHosk85 Posts: 2,552 Member
    Options
    Hi Betty, welcome! You don't really have to spend any additional time other than logging what you ate in your food diary and any exercise you have done that day. Hope you find it works for you. I've been here since December 1st and am down 23 pounds. I now exercise every day without fail, usually just 20 minutes. It's really become a habit for me to log my food as soon as I eat. There's an app for your phone if that's more convenient for you. Best to you,
    Bonnie
  • longkathleenann9291
    longkathleenann9291 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Hi Betty! Yes there is a learning curve that will take time, once you get the hang of it most people spend 5-10 minutes logging their food per day. If you have a smart phone I would suggest you download the app. I find it much more convenient for logging than having to wait to get to a computer. Why are you waiting until April 1? You could start now on learning how to log your food. Don’t try to change your diet or start a major exercise program. Just learn how to log. You will also see patterns in your eating and ways that you can start to make substitutions. I am 54 and have been a part of MFP since July. I have lost 50 lbs by just calorie counting. I have started walking, but nothing radical like training for a marathon! If you would like to have some supportive friends here on MFP send me a friends request. If you don’t know how to do that just respond to this post I I will send you a request. The biggest piece of advice that you will get from anyone on this site is to buy a digital food scale $10-$15 to measure all of your foods. This has been the biggest factor in my ability to get the weight off!
  • bettyawaldron
    bettyawaldron Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much and I would like a friend request!
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Yes I'm 71 and still work. It's important to log all your foods and drinks into the diary, you need to make some time for this if you want to lose weight. Good luck