Does an hour of yoga burn a lot of calories?

Options
Thanks

Replies

• suzannesimmons1
    suzannesimmons1 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    No not really. But I suppose it depends on the type of class but even so it's not that great
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Log it under cardiovascular here. But to answer your question no, yoga in general does not burn a lot of calories. There are lots of other benefits though. Do the exercise you enjoy and manage your calories (mostly) thru intake.
  • JustAMurmur
    JustAMurmur Posts: 7,867 Member
    Options
    There are specific types of yoga that burn more calories, but typically it's a low calorie burn. Any kind of yoga is great for you - body, mind and spirit. :)

This may help explain further: https://www.doyogawithme.com/types-of-yoga
  • grace42c
    grace42c Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Not really but it sure does make you feel great! Feeling great in turn motivates you to eat clean and exercise. 🙂 i do 10-20 minutes of yoga at home every day to relax, stretch, breath, warm up, greet the day, and it is part of my daily PT for degenerative spine. Then I am ready to go! Yoga took me from incapacitating excruciating debilitating pain 24/7 several years ago, to being able to ski an entire day, lift weights, and complete lifting tasks as needed for work and in the backcountry. It not all about the calorie burn.
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I did an hour and a half this morning. Since there's the warm up and meditation at the end I logged it as an hour for 175 calories. Did I actually burn that much? Dunno, possibly, it was quite an intense session. I tend to eat back half my exercise calories.

I do yoga for the mental benefits, but the flexibility and bodyweight strength has plenty of physical benefits too. I do it a couple days a week, then do weight lifting a few others. Most of my cardio is just walking around or using my exercise bike desk (like I am now!). Mix things up, try new things. See how you like it.
  • grace42c
    grace42c Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Staticsplit: You have talent! If I had a bike desk, I would end up falling off, hitting my head, and getting a concussion! Not to mention the typos. LOL
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It doesn't...but it's worth doing. Don't just do exercise for the calorie burn. Do exercise that you enjoy and makes you feel good.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!