Sweets!!!!!

Options
So I have such a sweet tooth. What are some things that everyone eats to 'kill' the craving?!

Replies

• Copper_Boom
    Copper_Boom Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Usually 15 grams of semi-sweet chocolate chips satisfies me. Only 70 calories, so not bad. I keep them in the freezer.
  • merekins
    merekins Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I have a huge sweet tooth. I make or have a really indulgent dessert about once a fortnight. Sometimes twice 🙄. That gives me something to look forward to and makes it easier to avoid treats that are just there but I don’t really love. Quality over quantity didn’t happen over night but have mostly gotten there.
    I make sure to keep blueberries and strawberries in the house. If I want to dessert, I go for those first. I also bought what are nice chocolates for me and have one of those when I need it. Godiva has chocolate covered ganache hearts for 46 calories a pop. Lindt truffles and ghirardelli squares are between 60-70 a piece.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Protein shake. Seriously. Pescience frosted chocolate cupcake and snickerdoodle are so sweet they are like 120-calorie dessert shakes with 24 grams of protein. More if you have them in milk.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,200 Member
    Options
    It doesn't work for everyone, but I found that getting 3 daily servings of fruit helped reduce my cravings for less nutrient-dense sweets like cookies and candy. After a while of that, I could be more flexible with the fruit, and still not have the cravings. While this isn't a universal thing, I've seen others here say similar things. Nowadays, I usually eat one, occasionally two, fruit servings.

I still eat occasional indulgent desserts, but it's easy to hold off and wait to eat really special ones rather rarely, or to eat just a bit of something that sounds yummy (a little dark chocolate, say), where I used to crave and consume larger amounts of what now seem like poor-quality and not-worthwhile simple and uninteresting sweets.

Maybe worth a try, but YMMV.
  • phoebe112476
    phoebe112476 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    What has helped me with my sweet tooth:
    - Diet Coke
    - Mint gum
    - Chocolate pudding cup with blueberries, blackberries, and or raspberries (about 200 calories of amazing yum with fiber!)
    - Sugar free jello
    - Waiting until after dinner for a planned sweet treat (like two ghiradelli chocolates or two Girl Scout cookies)
  • Hilogirl2018
    Hilogirl2018 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I build in a sweet treat every single day! The key for me is portion control. I like something 200 calories max that I really enjoy. Always after dinner. Lately, it's been a quality ice cream bar or a few squares of salted caramel dark chocolate. I *savor* my dessert and close my eating window at 8 p.m.
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I make frozen yogurt.

Greek yogurt, frozen strawberries, coconut syrup. Put it in the freezer for bit. That’s been satisfying my sweet tooth.
  • AprilMLowe
    AprilMLowe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I usually leave my diary open calories for a treat. I usually have a chocolate protein shake or protein bar during the day. At night i usually have a 1 peanut butter cup or sugar free hot chocolate or sugar free chocolate pudding or a 1/2 cup of chocolate peanut butter cheerios dry.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,481 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77 hmmmm I never thought about that. I have a banana smoothie morning and evening and an orange and/or strawberries and blueberries in cottage cheese. I no longer crave sweets like I used to, and fruit tastes crazy sweet to me now. Before, it was like it had no taste, now it’s so sweet it makes me pucker up occasionally.

If I really crave a sweet or have random loose calories to burn, then a GinGin or ginger chew or two seem to help. A friend gave me a mug full of old fashioned chalky “King Leo” peppermints for Christmas. Delicious to suck on and one does the trick. They are all 25 calories or less.

I don’t really keep sweets in the house anymore, but heaven help me if there’s bowls of chocolates available at social events, like nearly every evening the past two weeks. My off switch is still broken. My diary was ravaged, and it was an absolute relief to get back to (the new) normal.
  • merekins
    merekins Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    aes1219 wrote: »
    Since it's girl scout cookie time I like to have 2 or 3 thin mints (80-120 calories).
    These would be such a trigger food for me. I would keep eating them. That is the thing, you need to find what works for you and not all sweets are equal. I love sweet tarts but there is something about them that having one serving makes me want to suddenly eat all the things. Is similar with most popular halloween candy. I don’t think it’s anything about them in particular but they are complete opposite of satisfying to me. They increase my appetite. I was never a big chocolate person so having a piece of dark chocolate is a new habit for me. Maybe I am simply replacing emotional triggers I am not even consciously aware of.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I just discovered the amazingness of Cool Whip Oreo Mix-ins, definitely recommend it if you can find it (it's with the other Cool Whip options).

My afternoon snack right now is 1 single size container of 0% fat Chobani plain Greek yogurt (80 cal), with sugar free cheesecake flavored Jello pudding mix (25 calories for 1/4 of pkt), mixed with a sliced small banana (90ish cal) and then 1/2 serving of mini Nilla cookies (70 cal for 10 cookies). It's a nice sized snack that has a good amount of protein, micros and then sweetness :)
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I'm another in favor of chocolate chips. I mix them with some walnuts and chopped dates and make a super-sweet trail mix that has some nutritive value--this is high in calories so I only make a handful at a time.
  • Dgil1975
    Dgil1975 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I use fruit, specifically berries
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Fflpnari wrote: »
    I save a couple of hundred calories every day to have a sweet after dinner. I can avoid sweets throughout the day knowing I have that at night

This^

Weight loss & maintenance is like a budget. Nothing wrong with a treat that fits your calorie goals. Fruit is no substitute for chocolate long term.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I fit my sweet treats into my calorie goal. One of my favorites is Eton Mess. I make my own version for under 200 calories. One small meringue nest. One tub of muller light kremas corner with raspberry. Pour the yoghurt over the meringue, add the sauce, then top with fresh raspberries.
  • tarekhamouda7445
    tarekhamouda7445 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    One or Quest protein bars, 1g of sugar 14g of net carbs, satisfies the sweet tooth for me every time, otherwise oats with a scoop of vanilla or chocolate whey powder with almond milk throw in a couple of raisins, low calorie, low sugar and works.