Frustrated: not being able to exercise means I lose control

Options
yirara
yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
Title. I know that something happens when I don't exercise. I get restless, I get bored in the evening despite having enough interesting things to do, and I am superhungry all day long, and especially for crisps and candy, and in probably 8 years or so exercising on and off for various reasons have not found anything that helps against this hunger.

So two weeks ago I had a bike accident when someone on a very heavy upright position bike, with a heavy wooden crate on the bar lost control in a storm and drove into me. Basically I came to a full stop against a sidewalk. Various muscles in upper back and neck badly pulled. Yesterday morning I thought I was mostly painfree again. What happens? Yesterday evening on the way home from work I had another bike accident, resulting in this: 54398021_10157166298150816_4567797839278637056_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_ht=scontent-amt2-1.xx&oh=bb32aa7f83cccdaf896408e9ba3952a1&oe=5D04DAD1

Ugh! Another at least a week of feeling not well, of cooking dinner, eating and then rushing out to buy a bag of crisps :(

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,596 Member
    Options
    OUCH!!!! Looks ugly! <-- not YOU obviously! Your injury! :cry:
  • yirara
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    OUCH!!!! Looks ugly! <-- not YOU obviously! Your injury! :cry:

Hahaha! That made me laugh :D Thanks for that. <3

Yeah, it's rather bad. I can walk, but the wound cracks open every time I go up or down a straircase, and there's a massive swelling on the outside of my knee. *sigh*
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    hope you are feeling better soon.

I get it, i was a huge runner (and was going to the gym and was looking to start cycling) then it suddenly started to hurt and i've been off any real cardio/exercise since August.

But i didn't let that stop me. weight loss is about calories in calories out so i just ensured i kept at it. I select a reasonable small rate of loss to keep me hungry. I found things to keep me busy and worked my food plan to keep me full (most days anyway). I can't imagine what would have happened if i'd said "screw it all" back in September as it's not been 6 months and I am back in a flair up again and even backing off my walking. Insteada i kept my small rate of loss and am working on the final 2pds (so yes I even worked off almost tall the hard "last 10lbs")
  • yirara
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Panini911 wrote: »
    hope you are feeling better soon.

I get it, i was a huge runner (and was going to the gym and was looking to start cycling) then it suddenly started to hurt and i've been off any real cardio/exercise since August.

But i didn't let that stop me. weight loss is about calories in calories out so i just ensured i kept at it. I select a reasonable small rate of loss to keep me hungry. I found things to keep me busy and worked my food plan to keep me full (most days anyway). I can't imagine what would have happened if i'd said "screw it all" back in September as it's not been 6 months and I am back in a flair up again and even backing off my walking. Insteada i kept my small rate of loss and am working on the final 2pds (so yes I even worked off almost tall the hard "last 10lbs")

I'm sure I'll be fine again soon. But I was so looking forward to a long cycle trip this coming weekend. Oh well...

Btw, I'm not trying to lose weight. at this moment though I'm not trying to gain from all the snacking. I know: logging and all... it just doesn't work at all if I'm sedentary for me. At least I know what works for me. Now I only have to mend again :wink:
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I know it's depressing to not be able to keep moving. I've had that happen several times. But, you can still exercise. Work out your upper body sitting in a chair. Do stretches lying on the floor or in bed. And if you are hungry, eat something substantial, not crisps and candy. Nobody is "hungry for crisps and candy." That's just a craving. Eat regular meals. For snacks, have a piece of fruit if you want something sweet, and 1/4 cup nuts if you want something crunchy.
  • yirara
    Options
    njitaliana wrote: »
    I know it's depressing to not be able to keep moving. I've had that happen several times. But, you can still exercise. Work out your upper body sitting in a chair. Do stretches lying on the floor or in bed. And if you are hungry, eat something substantial, not crisps and candy. Nobody is "hungry for crisps and candy." That's just a craving. Eat regular meals. For snacks, have a piece of fruit if you want something sweet, and 1/4 cup nuts if you want something crunchy.

Well.. I was hoping to work out my lower body to let my upper back and neck muscles heal properly. I still have pain there. At the moment I can only lay on by back as the knee hurts too much otherwise, which sucks for my back. Argh!
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    @yirara, hugs! Road rashs on the knee are miserable since you can't help but flex all the time. I really get the desire to snack - been there myself :) I don't have any helpful advice, but wanted to drop in and send best wishes for a speedy recovery :flowerforyou:

edited for grammar
  • yirara
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    @yirara, hugs! Road rashs on the knee are miserable since you can't help but flex all the time. I really get the desire to snack - been there myself :) I don't have any helpful advice, but wanted to drop in and send best wishes for a speedy recovery :flowerforyou:

edited for grammar

Thanks a lot @mph323
    I'm sure it'll heal quickly. I think I only need some hugs at the moment. It's just so frustrating: you look forward to working out again, and then two accidents, both of which by bike :p
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Your first accident is something I worry about happening. Your second was just extremely bad luck, I'm sorry to hear about it and see the nasty road rash.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Right there with you as far as injury creating a new limiting border you don't want to be confined by.
    And having an eating level that is on the other side of that border. Ugh.

Hope you repair well, never had accidents that close - good for you getting back out on it.

Sounds like your weather is starting to get better too?
    Maybe focus on the rainy days you weren't going out on anyway.
  • yirara
    Options
    I might go to a museum tomorrow. I mean I can walk and then forget about the injury. Well.. I just did celebrate the weekend a bit too well by falling onto the sofa and pulling my legs up mid-air, which was a rather stupid thing to do at the moment as bandages and wounds separated. Ouch! <mantra> just a few days, just a few days </mantra>
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I really feel for ya. I'm so concerned about an injury halting my exercise. It's become such a big part of my life and then there's the calories.

Good luck for quick healing!
  • yirara
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Thanks :) It's just a flesh wound (well, a mostly superficial wound) and some massive bruising. But everything else works as it should and doesn't hurt. I don't get 'defective' easily and I'm sure everything will heal in due time. Still frustrating! Grrr...
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    You have my sympathy. That first crash sounds especially awful. I would use this as a time to practice how to cope with not being able exercise. I never had issues with overeating in those situations, but I always find it very demoralizing when I'm too injured to exercise (sick not so much, but injured or recovering from surgery...).
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Thanks :) It's just a fresh wound (well, a mostly superficial wound) and some massive bruising. But everything else works as it should and doesn't hurt. I don't get 'defective' easily and I'm sure everything will heal in due time. Still frustrating! Grrr...

That road rash ... ow! .... I had an injury that included that kind of abrasion and found some large (3" by 8") manuka honey adhesive bandages at CVS that helped the healing process a great deal. The other contusions and pulled ligaments and stuff took longer. Funny thing is that Lyle McDonald's book on optimum nutrition for injuries had arrived in my inbox that morning. Good luck on your healing.
  • yirara
    Options
    Maxxitt wrote: »
    Thanks :) It's just a fresh wound (well, a mostly superficial wound) and some massive bruising. But everything else works as it should and doesn't hurt. I don't get 'defective' easily and I'm sure everything will heal in due time. Still frustrating! Grrr...

That road rash ... ow! .... I had an injury that included that kind of abrasion and found some large (3" by 8") manuka honey adhesive bandages at CVS that helped the healing process a great deal. The other contusions and pulled ligaments and stuff took longer. Funny thing is that Lyle McDonald's book on optimum nutrition for injuries had arrived in my inbox that morning. Good luck on your healing.

I had a look today, and only found those old-fashioned wound pads that tend to stick to wounds. I put them on now and will remove them again carefully with warm water tomorrow morning to hopefully give the wounds a chance to dry. I'm sure all will be fine in a few days. At the moment I'm somewhere between being super annoyed and laughing about my own stupidity. Basically me and another biker were about to collide, tried to prevent it by driving to the same side, and colliding. We both ended up with similar wounds :D
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Hugs! Well done for getting ready to get back on track.

Don't beat yourself up too much about being grumpy for a few days more, and needing a higher percentage of treat calories for a few days again.

My theory (on brontosauruses, which is mine):

When you do the trip to buy the chips, you probably get an exercise type of rush and high heart rate from the panicking doing something "wrong", so your body lets yourself go do it.

Include the chip calories in your plan, and even eat at maintenance for a diet break / healing period.

Chips are nice, but you probably won't want them every day if they don't give you such a rush.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    To quote my high school football coach when I tore my acl.... "rub some dirt on it! Walk it off!" As he put out a camel non filtered! Lol no, not really. get well soon! Prayers and a side hug!
  • mdreddie
    mdreddie Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Title. I know that something happens when I don't exercise. I get restless, I get bored in the evening despite having enough interesting things to do, and I am superhungry all day long, and especially for crisps and candy, and in probably 8 years or so exercising on and off for various reasons have not found anything that helps against this hunger.

So two weeks ago I had a bike accident when someone on a very heavy upright position bike, with a heavy wooden crate on the bar lost control in a storm and drove into me. Basically I came to a full stop against a sidewalk. Various muscles in upper back and neck badly pulled. Yesterday morning I thought I was mostly painfree again. What happens? Yesterday evening on the way home from work I had another bike accident, resulting in this: 54398021_10157166298150816_4567797839278637056_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_ht=scontent-amt2-1.xx&oh=bb32aa7f83cccdaf896408e9ba3952a1&oe=5D04DAD1

Ugh! Another at least a week of feeling not well, of cooking dinner, eating and then rushing out to buy a bag of crisps :(

Hey, I feel for you, and I hope you get better soon enough to resume more active exercise. But with bike riding, unless you're doing it a relatively controlled bicycle lane in a park, you're putting yourself at risk of getting injured by too many uncontrolled variables on the street. Perhaps find something else you can do for exercise in a more controlled setting, at home for in stance. Ride a stationary bike or try to see if you like jogging in the park or doing other aerobic and muscle building workouts at home or in a gym. The road is very unpredictable and you don't want to at worse lose your life for a workout and weight loss.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    I can 100% empathise with this feeling. Last year I injured my back cleaning. I was off the ice for SEVEN MONTHS. And I wasn't allowed to do other forms of exercise beyond the gentle stretches the physio gave me. For SEVEN MONTHS. I was stir-crazy but also, just like you, went straight for the food. Net result: +15kgs.