Grain Free granola

Options
I just discovered grain fee granola as a low carb option to still be able to eat granola, and get additional fiber.

Does anyone any recipes for this?

Replies

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I would guess that you could use any granola recipe and leave out the grain.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    So is the main ingredient not oats?
  • kbmnurse1
    kbmnurse1 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I like Kind Healthy Grains Cinnamon Oat Cluster Granola in my yogurt.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options

It's usually made without oats (at least the recipes I've seen). Many of them are nut-based.

I would be super-cautious about eating this like a granola because nuts have so many more calories than oats, but people willing to allocate more calories to breakfast may be able to fit it in more regularly.

https://minimalistbaker.com/simple-grain-free-granola/

Holy cow that'sa bowl o' nuts. Could definitely eat a day's worth of calories in one bowl lol.

I know, right! As if regular granola wasn't enough of a calorie shocker . . .

And it could still have a lot of carbs depending on what dried fruit/berries/coconut/raw nuts you use. I am more calorie concerned and have stayed away from granola for years because of the high calorie count.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

It's usually made without oats (at least the recipes I've seen). Many of them are nut-based.

I would be super-cautious about eating this like a granola because nuts have so many more calories than oats, but people willing to allocate more calories to breakfast may be able to fit it in more regularly.

Holy cow that'sa bowl o' nuts. Could definitely eat a day's worth of calories in one bowl lol.

I know, right! As if regular granola wasn't enough of a calorie shocker . . .

And it could still have a lot of carbs depending on what dried fruit/berries/coconut/raw nuts you use. I am more calorie concerned and have stayed away from granola for years because of the high calorie count.

Yeah, that particular recipe I linked to also had maple syrup (although I'm sure you could sub out for a low carbohydrate-friendly sweetener).
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options

Ok. Thanks. I imagine it would then be more caloric than traditional.
  • TracyBEstes
    TracyBEstes Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Right. It is nut and seed based. No oats.

I like to add a very small amount to my morning yogurt. I eat Fage 0% plain. It tastes so good. Only about 7 grams carbs, and about 25 grams protein!
  • TracyBEstes
    TracyBEstes Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I don’t want high calories or sugar. I just really love that crunch in my yogurt. I will not add all the sweetener a recipe calls for. Like I said, I eat plain yogurt. I’m fine without the sweet:)

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I don’t want high calories or sugar. I just really love that crunch in my yogurt. I will not add all the sweetener a recipe calls for. Like I said, I eat plain yogurt. I’m fine without the sweet:)

Then a nut-based granola probably isn't going to be a good fit for you. Oats, one of the main components of traditional granola, have fewer calories per gram than nuts.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    There's one in my new Passover cookbook (Well, Trail Mix but close enough):

ir4eamheu2g5.png

It involves drizzling the liquid ingredients over the matzo, coconut, apples, carrots and cinnamon, then spreading it out on a baking sheet and baking for 2 hours, stirring every half hour, adding almonds in last 20 minutes. When it cools add the dried fruit.

A serving is about 1/3 of a cup. (If I make it, I'll be weighing everything out and adjusting the recipe).

(Note: cookbook says to warm the OJ before mixing it with the other liquid ingredients. Guessing that'll thin the honey.)

Source: Passover Lite Kosher Cookbook by Gail Ashakanzi-Hankin