Repeat offenders

Options
andy0635
andy0635 Posts: 1 Member
Probably the 5th time I have downloaded this app and every time I keep on track for a week and end up sliding back to the old ways and stop using the app

Anyone got an tips or tricks for staying on track and getting the best out of this app

Thank you in advance

Replies

• Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 40,699 Member
    Options
    Having friends who hold you accountable helps a lot.....I am tired of being a damn yo-yo so this is the year I lose it and keep it off ...you are welcome to add me if you would like a supporter/motivator and cheerleader :)
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Get into the habit of logging before you consume. If it's not worth the trouble of logging, then you must not want the item enough to eat or drink it.
  • Mawnstroe
    Mawnstroe Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I had to figure out my "Big Why," the reason I wanted to do this. Was it to get fit so I could impress others or be attractive of feel better about myself? Was it for my kids or my health or my peace of mind? I asked myself why I wanted to lose weight and the answer was to be healthy, feel good about myself, and be around for a long time for my kids. I then asked "why?" about those things as well. I dug down a few levels to get my "Big Why." I actually wrote it out as part of an exercise for the "Nerd Fitness Academy" (I'm not an affiliate or anything, just where I learned it). I keep it on my computer (password protected) and look at it every now and then when I'm feeling unmotivated or when I'm not wanting to do what I need to do to be healthy. I also have friends and accountability people in my life (both "in-person" and online here) who help me keep at it. I try to have the One Day At A Time mindset and focus on doing the next right thing. Lastly, I have latched on to the truism that, "If I want what healthy people have, I must do what healthy people do." This is a daily thing which becomes a monthly thing, which becomes a yearly thing, which becomes a lifetime thing, and it all starts right now. I choose health!
  • Tyrnis
    Tyrnis Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    In addition to the 'big why' that Mawnstroe mentions -- the reason that you want to reach your goal badly enough to put in the work -- I just want to reemphasize one important part that seska 422 brought up.

Habit.

Motivation is fleeting. You'll get a surge of it, and then you'll go through dry spells where you don't have any at all. That's not a recipe for success. Habit, on the other hand, is our constant fallback. So the real objective is building good habits, and that's one of the reasons I've found MFP to be so useful. Form a habit of logging. It's not hard and doesn't take very long, but it helps to raise your awareness of what you're eating, and that, in turn, can help with portion control, which is a huge part of losing weight. As an example, when I see that the large shake that I'm thinking about buying is over half my calorie goal for the day, I'm more likely to reconsider and get a small, or even consider whether I'll really enjoy it enough to make it worth having (but it's perfectly okay if it is -- being healthy doesn't mean giving up the things you enjoy, though it may mean only having small amount of some things.)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,738 Member
    Options
    Don't go crazy extreme and try to completely change your way of eating and moving all in one giant step, with a huge new exercise and a ridiculously aggressive (low) calorie goal. That's the formula for a quick crash and burn.
    (S/he who loses weight while eating the most calories wins. ;) ).

Make gradual, manageable changes to remodel your habits, giving each habit time to settle in before attacking something additional. Attaining and maintaining a healthy weight is a life-long set of habits, not a temporary project. Treat it that way. Figure out how to navigate happy life, in a reasonable way, including birthdays, holidays, etc. Balance what your current self wants (All Da Foodz) with what your long-term future self needs to be happy, too (healthy weight, fit body).

Learn, adjust behavior, make new habits, look for the next behavior adjustment, and repeat, repeat, repeat.

Here's one suggestion about how to handle the eating side of things, in a gradual, progressive fashion:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm/

Best wishes!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    andy0635 wrote: »
    Probably the 5th time I have downloaded this app and every time I keep on track for a week and end up sliding back to the old ways and stop using the app

Anyone got an tips or tricks for staying on track and getting the best out of this app

Thank you in advance

What are your goals?
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    For me what helped when I got serious and started was I made some lists. List one why did I want to list, what were the pros, and I kept adding to the list until I literally ran out of things that were positive. Then I made a con list, what reasons did I have or could think of that would keep me from losing weight. Then I really looked at the list and asked myself what do you really want? And are you willing to do what it takes or not?

I look at the list weekly or sometimes more often. But it is a real list. I wrote it down/pen and paper. Also put key comments in my phone. Only each of us, can do it in my mind and hold ourselves accountable. How bad do you want it...