Please help me wrap my head around this

Options
I have to pretty much be perfect for 7 days to lose weight. But my problem is let’s say I’m perfect for 5 days and then on the 6 day something unexpected like a higher calorie meal will ruin my entire weeks weight lose. And I’m talking only a few calories over for one meal. I will not even lose a half of a pound that week even if I’m perfect the 7th day. This really frustrates me because my whole week is blown. What does everyone do about this?

Replies

• rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I have to pretty much be perfect for 7 days to lose weight. But my problem is let’s say I’m perfect for 5 days and then on the 6 day something unexpected like a higher calorie meal will ruin my entire weeks weight lose. And I’m talking only a few calories over for one meal. I will not even lose a half of a pound that week even if I’m perfect the 7th day. This really frustrates me because my whole week is blown. What does everyone do about this?

The only thing I can think of is you’re not tracking correctly or weighing your food. A few extra calories won’t hurt a weeks budget. The least amount of calories you should ever have is 1,200. But that’s for a sedentary person.
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options

Plus the different stuff that regulates your body like water retention and such. Focus on measurements and not just the scale. You could be losing inches but not losing much weight.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that the weeks you don't lose weight are only coincidentally associated with going over. You may be wrongly attributing a normal fluctuation to thay.
  • Monkeyfreck
    Monkeyfreck Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I've always felt like there are two ways of looking at it - daily calories and weekly calories.
    Maybe having a map / idea of weekly calories on paper or in an app would help in terms of flexibility.

It has worked for me!
  • dippy_duck
    dippy_duck Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I use happy scale, the weight trending app, because it gives me perspective on my weight loss rather than focusing on the immediate number You see on the scales on a given day. Its interesting to use because now I know that the week before my period I will always gain a bit of weight and then the week after my period I tend to have a big loss (if I’m eating to my calorie target). I’ve found that my body doesn’t follow a linear weight loss depending on what I eat the day before, it has other jobs to do and weight fluctuates around those jobs!

Also it’s totally fine to have a weekly calorie goal rather than a daily calorie goal. That way you can fit higher calorie meals into your week and account for them with a lower calorie day elsewhere. It might help to do that if you’re struggling with the ‘unexpected’ days.

This is what works for me :-) if you find what works for you you’ll find this whole process much easier!
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    It is possible, given your example, that not just water but waste is throwing your weight number off.

If that day 6 meal is also larger in volume as well as calories then chances are at the end of day 7 when you're jumping on the scale you've probably still got that large meal making it's way though your body. That waste in your system will show up as weight on the scale even though you haven't actually gained "weight" (as in fat).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options

Weigh yourself on the morning of Day 6 rather than after that higher calorie meal :)
  • MrsBradyBunch
    MrsBradyBunch Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    You are confusing fat loss/gain with water loss/gain.

Your high calorie meal is presumably a restaurant meal so it's high in sodium, so you gain water weight.

If you haven't gone over your weekly maintenance calories then you have not gained fat.

That's what I was going to come in to say. But it's been said, so I'll just simply agree with it. Small weight fluctuations may not be actual fat gain/loss.