Birth Control

Options
2»

Replies

• Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I'm really enthused to see all the responses of people who love their IUDs. I freaked out about whiskers hanging out of my cervix, but I was seriously trying to be ok with Paragard, because I REALLY didn't want to have to test out a new round of hormonal options. And then the hubby volunteered to be snipped.

Whiskers hanging out of your cervix LOL. That part freaked me out at first too. I was scared for the longest time that theyd get tugged on or pulled.. ya know.. the weirdest part is that you're supposed to "check them" every once in a while. Talk about getting comfortable with your body.

I worry about them being stabby. I use a menstrual cup, so I have no issue with rooting around in there. That might could have been an issue, too - if the whiskers got caught around the rim of the cup.

I use a cup too, no issues with that! They soften over time and aren't long enough to go near where the rim of the cup sits. Just an FYI for anyone else that may see this and wonder.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I'm really enthused to see all the responses of people who love their IUDs. I freaked out about whiskers hanging out of my cervix, but I was seriously trying to be ok with Paragard, because I REALLY didn't want to have to test out a new round of hormonal options. And then the hubby volunteered to be snipped.

Whiskers hanging out of your cervix LOL. That part freaked me out at first too. I was scared for the longest time that theyd get tugged on or pulled.. ya know.. the weirdest part is that you're supposed to "check them" every once in a while. Talk about getting comfortable with your body.

I worry about them being stabby. I use a menstrual cup, so I have no issue with rooting around in there. That might could have been an issue, too - if the whiskers got caught around the rim of the cup.

They can be stabby at first, but they soften and curl up next to the cervix eventually. If they're causing problems, your doctor can cut the strings shorter at your checkup. They only need to be long enough for you to check them and for your doctor to remove the IUD later.

This article addresses how IUDs work with menstrual cups: https://www.bustle.com/p/can-a-menstrual-cup-pull-out-your-iud-we-asked-obgyns-heres-what-they-said-9052754
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Whiskers? I’d use the lowest dose possible. I prefer the kind you take constantly and never have a period, but I know that seems unnatural to some.
  • emmoen
    emmoen Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    So I know there is a small chance that an IUD can damage one's cervix which is what happened to one of my friends I was not leading toward that route. It scaries me and the "whiskers" deter me even more. I think I am leaning more towards a low dose pill.
  • IsETHome
    IsETHome Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    emmoen wrote: »
    So I have not been on birth control for over 10 years. I am currently 32 years old with no health issues. I have 2 amazing little boys and my husband and I are not planning on having anymore children. So I am considering a birth control to help prevent an accidental pregnancy, however I am concerned with addtional hormones and side effects. We have always used the "pull out" method which has worked and both of our boys have been planned, however I know that our bodies will be changing as we age and I am not looking foward to a possible surprise.

What are your personal experiences with birth control?

There are many types of birth control. The pill failed for me, epic fail. Norplant (the arm implant - they have a diff brand now worked great in my 20s). After 35 I just tracked and withdrawl BUT most men don’t have that level of control, mine just did. I’m allergic to latex and copper so that limited me.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »
    When I first went on the BC pill, I had really bad PMS for about 2 days. Basically, I was in a really bad mood, but after that everything regulated itself and I've had no issues. It didn't cause me any weight gain and it actually helped regulate my cycle so I'm actually on a true 28 day cycle, things aren't as heavy, I rarely get cramps, and it's helped do away with some of my hormonal acne, which is why I started BC in the first place. Every person does vary, but my experience has been positive.

Do you have the name of your BC?

I don't remember the name off the top of my head b/c it's generic, but it's a low dose BC b/c ovarian cysts are common in my family. Low dose BC are supposed to reduce the risks of forming ovarian cysts.

Thank you. I was looking into the low dose BC.

So I am actually on an ultra low dose BC. I’m using Isibloom, which is generic. Like I said before, I am really concerned with ovarian cysts bc they run in my family (my sister ended up with them, one grew so large it crushed one of her ovaries), so I was adamant that I take something that wouldn’t increase my risks of them.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Just another thought - the NuvaRing looks interesting. Low, continuous dose, but no sharp bits to puncture anything, and no whiskers. You'd need a certain level of comfort with your own body to insert the new one every month, but no daily reminder to take the pill at a regimented time. OTOH, taking a pill gets to be a habit, and it might be hard to remember a new ring each month? But what am I saying? You get a special built-in monthly reminder!

I've never tried it, but it seems to work more similarly to an implant than a pill, but it's not permanant, in case the hormones give you horrible side effects.
  • ashleyeliza89
    ashleyeliza89 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Starting on BC pills a few months ago has been life changing for me, personally. I had terribly irregular periods and horrible cramping/heavy flow. Now I’m consistent with minimal cramping and shorter periods. It’s made my life much easier. And it hasn’t effected my ability to lose weight! But everyone has a different experience with it. I’m currently on Yaz which I was also on for a while in my early 20s for acne. I’ve never had a bad experience with it or any side effects so far.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Since I didn't want to have more children (two was enough and going back to school and work was important to me), tubal ligation worked for me. I didn't want to go thru an unwanted pregnancy later in life. I don't have easy pregnancies.

I was tired of using and trying different kind of birth control pills, I was also getting side effects with the hormones, and I didn't want to have a IUD implanted. This was long time ago when BC was not as sophisticated and advanced as it is now. And... my husband didn't want to be snipped ;), so BC was my responsibility. Therefore, the decision was mine and he didn't object to it.

Best decision I ever made, and even back then I didn't have a problem getting the OK from my Gyn. But I understand that tubal ligation is consider too drastic for many women, but is a good way to avoid the constant hazards of choosing the right BC pills and dealing with it side effects.

• smcurtis1981
    smcurtis1981 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I’ve been on the combined pill for about 20 years and have mostly liked it. I feel like it gives me more control over periods and I like having clear skin. My ex husband had a vasectomy not long before we split up, I did enjoy having more of a libido during that time when I didn’t take pills. After the break up I met someone and needed to do something so I tried a copper iud- what a nightmare! So much bleeding every month, like gushing which I’d never experienced before. My skin went crazy, my moods were terrible. So I went back to the pill and I’m great again! Never had trouble losing weight on it either fwiw.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I get on really well with the Depo Provera injection, you go every 11-13wks to be injected by a nurse.

I took part in a 1year trial for Sayana Press which is essentially the same chemical but you self inject into the fat layer in your thighs or belly rather than having the nurse inject into your glute muscle. I strongly advise against this as it’s left me with ‘dents’ at the injection sites in my thighs where there’s been fat atrophy. It seems these dents are permanent, it’s embarrassing and looks like I have even worse cellulite than I do. I’d hate anyone else to have the same, so please don’t risk the Sayana Press.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    My favorite BC was Loestrin 24. They regulated my cycles and made the periods much shorter and lighter.
    When I was pregnant with my youngest, some complications prompted my OB-GYN to do a bunch of tests. They found out I have a mild anticoagulation disorder, so no more BC with estrogen in it for me 😢.
    The progestin only pills/mini pills were fine while breast feeding since a lot of people don't get periods then anyway, but after that... I HATED them; the mini pill is EVIL. Basically zero of the advantages that the combo pills offer (for me anyway).
    I did have good luck with Mirena and when it was time to have it replaced, I had to get Liletta (pretty much the same as Mirena but lasts longer) because insurance decided to pay for Liletta instead. No issues with either for me. After the initial irregularities, the effects were similar to the loestrin except maybe better as far as shorter/lighter periods.
    Everyone's experience is going to be different with different contraceptive methods though, and you really need to talk with your doctor about what might work best for you.
  • JohnnytotheB
    JohnnytotheB Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Have your husband get snipped. Quick, painless and easy.
  • kodiakke
    kodiakke Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Just another thought - the NuvaRing looks interesting. Low, continuous dose, but no sharp bits to puncture anything, and no whiskers. You'd need a certain level of comfort with your own body to insert the new one every month, but no daily reminder to take the pill at a regimented time. OTOH, taking a pill gets to be a habit, and it might be hard to remember a new ring each month? But what am I saying? You get a special built-in monthly reminder!

I've never tried it, but it seems to work more similarly to an implant than a pill, but it's not permanant, in case the hormones give you horrible side effects.

I use the NuvaRing. Love it. I switch out in time so that I can skip periods, too.
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    I was on microgynon for two and a half years and it was horrendous for me, gave me mood swings and shortness of breath. Then I had the implant for three years which completely wrecked my body, made me gain weight like crazy, acne breakouts and crazy long periods, others I know have had the same experience. After that, we switched to condoms which worked just fine for about four years, but then I developed an allergy to them, which was unpleasant to say the least (ouch!). So now I am on a pill called mercilon which is an absolute dream. I was concerned about it affecting my libido but no issues there!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,138 Member
    Options
    So I know there is a small chance that an IUD can damage one's cervix which is what happened to one of my friends I was not leading toward that route. It scaries me and the "whiskers" deter me even more. I think I am leaning more towards a low dose pill.

I have the non-hormone IUD and it's actually fine once I got past the settling in period (had quite heavy periods the first few months) but it's worth it for the lack of interference with hormones. The strings aren't noticeable at all really. Prior to that I was on the low dose pill for about 16 years but they refused to continue to prescribe it to me because I was at a higher BMI even after losing weight because it's too high of a stroke risk.

• confidenceinrain
    confidenceinrain Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I've been on the pill (reclipsen but there are a few names for it) for 6 years. When I first went on it I lost a few pounds of water weight overnight. Since then, no impact on weight loss or gain.

I am excellent at remembering to take it the same time every day. If you are like me then it is a good option. I didn't originally go on to prevent pregnancy as it was just to treat horrible period side effects, but now I am married and use it as our only form of birth control and it works well. Most fails in birth control pills are due to user error, I believe.
  • Libby283
    Libby283 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I gain 50 lbs within two years every time I get an IUD. The doctor can see that I am correct. We have tested my hormones and nothing weird shows up.
    I am on my last one now. I am giving up sex after this one needs to be removed. tired of being fat when I can not use birth control and rapidly drop weight.