what am i supposed to do, just stop exercising?? HELP

Options
so the problem here is that i love exercising so much so that sometimes i will even start to burn 1000+ cals, which means I am left with a VERY low net. I try to eat more but am finding it really hard as I am just not hungry.

Should I just stop exercising (which I think will probs be impossible) or find a way to eat sooo many calories in one day. and should i eat all or only half of them? i have heard eating them is more for maintenance.... HELP

Replies

• NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Try eating more calorie dense foods (nuts, eggs, maybe a protein shake here & there).
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Your kind of saying that you want to be less active, and less healthy. I think you need to kind of re-evaluate your lifestyle.
    If you are rocking the workouts, keep doing that!
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    You need to make sure not to under eat - especially if you are exercising that much (I often have 1000+ calorie work outs as well as I have two trainers and work out two hours a day).... Do you know your BMR?

They say 'feed the machine'.... if you work out that much - you need to eat more. Think about it. Athletes burn thousands of calories a day -- so they eat 5000+ calories a day!

Maybe you could also try lower calorie work out days -- i.e. I love taking Pitaiyo (no one knows what that is but it's a blend of Pilates, Tai chi, qi gong & yoga).... But you could try yoga or pilates.... GREAT for your body, but they are lower calorie burning workouts....

Just a thought :happy:
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Your kind of saying that you want to be less active, and less healthy. I think you need to kind of re-evaluate your lifestyle.

No she's not. She's saying she wants to work out but she's finding it hard to eat so much.

Same thing I'm doing. 1000+ cals a day = eating a lot.

Nuts, cheese, peanut butter all help.

I ate 1000 calories for breakfast today since I'll burn around 1800 cals today.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I eat when I'm hungry. I don't eat when I'm not.

I do this regardless of what my calories are for the day. It's stupid to force yourself to eat when not hungry just to hit a number.

I have days where I burn more than 1,000 calories. Usually, once I get to 1,500 calories (and I don't eat low fat, diety stuff -- a lot of nuts, full fat dairy, bread, etc.), I'm done. I couldn't possibly stuff another bite in my mouth.

The only time I have no trouble going over that is if I eat out somewhere because restaurants pack so much fat into their food. But eating at home? Yeah ... not going to happen.
  • cmiles23
    cmiles23 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    protein shakes!!!!!! for one if you are working out alot you need to be consuming a good amount of protein and two you can make so many different varietys it doesnt get old! and i wish i had your motivation and love for working out keep up the great work!
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I workout a lot for my job, so I'm left with a lot too. Peanut butter is my best friend. I add that to a lot of things. Avocado on my salads, and sunflower seeds too. Calorie rich, but still healthy. I also have big portions of lean proteins. Chicken breast etc. HTH!
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    add a protein shake or 2 to help, if need be. I take 2 a day.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options

No she's not. She's saying she wants to work out but she's finding it hard to eat so much.

Same thing I'm doing. 1000+ cals a day = eating a lot.

Nuts, cheese, peanut butter all help.

I ate 1000 calories for breakfast today since I'll burn around 1800 cals today.

The question was if she should stop exercising.
    I think we both pretty much have the same mindset for the final result.
  • BelindaBuzz
    Options
    I have had the same question! What I have been told and seems to be working for me is that I eat if I am hungry....healthy food....and I exercise. That is the best thing for you. Add whey protein. I usually take the protein, ice, water, yogurt, and half a cup of mixed berries and make a smoothie which tastes great after a workout, adds some calories, but does not make me feel over full. I hope that helps. Good luck!
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    peanut butter and cook with olive oil! =]
  • Keefypoos
    Keefypoos Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    if you are eating low fat yoghurts try thr normal full fat ones replace skimmed milk with semi skimmed of even full fat.
    of course be prepared for the 'you're eating junk food' argument, but if you are burning the calories you need the right foods
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Workouts are great! I think you need to concentrate on improving the diet. Find natural dense foods that are healthy but add up the calories...almonds, eggs, yogurt, etc.

I know there are lots of schools of thoughts on this...but I don't eat all my exercise calories back all the time. As long as I am eating between 1200-1800 calories a day I don't pay any attention to the "net" calories. I eat enough and sufficiently, if I am hungry I eat more and sometimes do eat the exercise calories, but if I am not hungry I don't worry about it.
  • surabhit
    surabhit Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    HOW do you burn 1000 cals a day?!?! Can you please give me an example workout Ellie?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,707 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter, avocados, corn, high calorie sushi.
  • evesacks
    evesacks Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I think MFP can overestimate calories burnt.

Add some calorie dense healthy food like nuts, avocado, salmon.

But if you really aren't hungry then don't eat the calories, warped logic to stop exercising.

FWIW I rarely eat ALL my exercise calories, but they are there if I am hungry.

I suffer from IBS so if I forced myself to eat them all I'd end up bloated and ill. Not the point of MFP.

Also, if you are overweight you can safely tolerate a bigger calories deficit and lose more weight - I have only really eaten my exercise calories since I got close to goal. I wasn't hungry for them before that.
  • mrmanmeat
    Options
    HOW do you burn 1000 cals a day?!?! Can you please give me an example workout Ellie?

It'll be diff for me, but an example of a day is...

p90x or cardio mornings, min 400cals
    same in afternoon, along w/ lifting, 400-500 cals

road bike = at least 600 cals if I ride 10+ miles
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Am I the only person that doesn't have a problem eating when I'm not hungry????? I plan my meals for the day in the morning including snacks and I also try to take into account any exercise I MIGHT do and spread those calories over the day. Eating at regular intervals, hungry or not, helps to stabilize your blood sugar and prevents overeating at main meals. To be honest, I'm very rarely hungry, but I still eat my calories AND most of my exercise calories.

You may still be losing at this rate, but this type of severe calorie deficit will catch up to to you eventually.
  • mrmanmeat
    Options
    I think MFP can overestimate calories burnt.

Add some calorie dense healthy food like nuts, avocado, salmon.

But if you really aren't hungry then don't eat the calories, warped logic to stop exercising.

FWIW I rarely eat ALL my exercise calories, but they are there if I am hungry.

I suffer from IBS so if I forced myself to eat them all I'd end up bloated and ill. Not the point of MFP.

But a HRM solves this issue. I found that it's really not too different, off a few yes. But not drastic.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I burned 900 on Sunday walking and jogging. There are some steep hills in my 'hood, so they get my HR way up, even when I just walk them. It took me almost two hours, though.

Monday, I did 45 minutes (400-plus calories) on my elliptical in the morning, yoga (100 calories) at lunch time and went for an hour-long swim (400-plus) after work.