Ignorance is.....bliss???

Options
So today rushing out the door, I had to stop to get gas this morning, usually I pay at the pump, but I stopped at the ONE place in town that doesn't have that. So I went in and thought, I don't have enough time to go grab something decent for breakfast, so I quick grabbed a Little Debbie out of the rack and proceeded to keep going.....I haven't had one of those in at least...um...oh lord, over a year possibly more.

When I glanced at the option (not turning it over to read the nutrition label) I thought, hey it's horrible for me, but I can make up for it tonight. No biggie. Right? HOLY CRAPOLA!!!

Calories: 300
Saturated fat: 4g
Total Carbs: 47g
Sugars: 28g

Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought something so small could be sooooo horrible. It will take me the next 2 days to work that off, at least. So lesson learned, ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS turn it over to read the label. NO EXCUSES!!!!!!

Replies

• 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Amen! Tough lesson. its amazing the littlest junk/snack items are so very horrible for you. I haven't had a little debbie anything in so very long, but I ain't gonna touch them. I had a similar realization one day with a pop-tart!!! Never again....never again....
  • heatherhicksfakih
    heatherhicksfakih Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have been learning that with all my iced drinks for the summer. In Canada there is one place that serves an iced expresso and it has 52 grams of sugar in a medium...learned my lesson. Now I do research online for stores and stick to the unsweetened iced coffee with milk :)
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Little Debbie is Toxic!:bigsmile:
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Twinkies are only 150 calories. :happy: My son wanted them when were buying groceries and I was surprised that they were that low in calories.
  • haeden
    haeden Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    agree!I just discovered this about cheese. I always knew it was bad for you(calorie wise) but i didnt realize how small their portion is. I think i was eating three times that size.
  • heatherhicksfakih
    heatherhicksfakih Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    27 strange, I love that saying...you can be sore tomorrow or sorry tomorrow...so true... : )
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Twinkies are only 150 calories. :happy: My son wanted them when were buying groceries and I was surprised that they were that low in calories.

Yup! If you HAVE to have something junk, go for the airy, volumous stuff that has less bite to the bark! Fills you up without totally killing your calories!
  • plagirl227
    plagirl227 Posts: 134
    Options
    Well I have been blissfully ordering fish tacos from the restaurant I go to every Tuesday to play trivia. Since it was a new/perhaps temporary menu item, it wasn't on their nutritional facts. So I searched the database and picked one I thought would be equivalent. Well they updated their facts and low and behold, there are TWICE the calories I've been recording for the last 4 months! More than 1300 calories...not including the fries! It was good while it lasted. Lol. Fortunately, it had no affect on my weight loss...
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    It's a shame because Swiss Rolls are soooooooooooooo good!!!! lol
  • debswebby
    debswebby Posts: 326
    Options
    I used to blissfully work my way through a pot of taramasalata on a Friday night as part of my treat. Dipping my fries in it. Oh it was yummy. One day I flipped it over and had a look at the calories....... 1585 for 200g!!!!! I nearly fell backward into the shopping trolley and I haven't touched it since.
  • caddir
    caddir Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I had no idea of the calories and FAT in taramasalata! how can it be so high. I love the stuff, but no more! Bye, bye lovely greek dip!
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options

Calories: 300
    Saturated fat: 4g
    Total Carbs: 47g
    Sugars: 28g

Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought something so small could be sooooo horrible. It will take me the next 2 days to work that off, at least. So lesson learned, ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS turn it over to read the label. NO EXCUSES!!!!!!

Definitely a good lesson -- knowing what you're choosing helps you make better choices.

But if this was all you had for breakfast... even if your daily calorie allotment is 1200, wouldn't 300 cals be fine? No need to spend two days "working off" a 300 cal breakfast I wouldn't think.