Does anyone swim regularly?

Options
Hi, I'm fairly inactive at the moment (health reasons) but will be able to swim when our pool opens in May.

If you swim regularly have you noticed it toning you up? How often, for how long and what swim stroke do you use?

I can only do breaststroke but I'm hoping that that will make a difference to the good layer of flab I'm currently wearing ☺️ Plus I'm looking forward to the extra calories it will give me 😁

Replies

• thelandkraken
    thelandkraken Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Swimming is my main form of exercise (primarily because it's the only one I actually enjoy doing), and I go three times a week. I'm very overweight and unfit, so I only swim for 45 minutes and I do about 50 lengths of the 25m pool in that time. But it's DEFINITELY made a difference to my fitness level. When I started, I could only manage about 10 minutes swimming. I haven't noticed it making a huge difference to toning me up, but I am still very overweight, but it has helped me to lose weight as part of the diet/exercise plan.

I also only do breaststroke, and I don't think it matters as long as you're putting in the effort.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I've been swimming + acquagym for 23yrs. You have to stay within your calorie goal to lose weight. Use a digital food scale. Swimming can make you very hungry so beware after, so you don't overeat. Any exercise + a calorie deficit will result in better muscle appearance. I swim 3 x a week for around an hour. I do gym once a week, plus yoga and stretching. Good luck and enjoy the pool!
  • sefajane1
    sefajane1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I've been swimming + acquagym for 23yrs. You have to stay within your calorie goal to lose weight. Use a digital food scale. Swimming can make you very hungry so beware after, so you don't overeat. Any exercise + a calorie deficit will result in better muscle appearance. I swim 3 x a week for around an hour. I do gym once a week, plus yoga and stretching. Good luck and enjoy the pool!

I won't be swimming to lose weight, as I said, I'm looking forward to the extra calories that it will "buy" me 😀
  • sefajane1
    Options
    Swimming is my main form of exercise (primarily because it's the only one I actually enjoy doing), and I go three times a week. I'm very overweight and unfit, so I only swim for 45 minutes and I do about 50 lengths of the 25m pool in that time. But it's DEFINITELY made a difference to my fitness level. When I started, I could only manage about 10 minutes swimming. I haven't noticed it making a huge difference to toning me up, but I am still very overweight, but it has helped me to lose weight as part of the diet/exercise plan.

I also only do breaststroke, and I don't think it matters as long as you're putting in the effort.

That's really good progress, well done you! 👍👍

Last summer I was in the pool about 3 times a week but almost every time it was full of splashing, bombing bloody kids so I couldn't really get any lengths in. This time I plan to get in there at least twice a day, starting as early as I can (before the sodding kids get up 😂)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    sefajane1 wrote: »

That's really good progress, well done you! 👍👍

Last summer I was in the pool about 3 times a week but almost every time it was full of splashing, bombing bloody kids so I couldn't really get any lengths in. This time I plan to get in there at least twice a day, starting as early as I can (before the sodding kids get up 😂)

Ya, when I lived in South Florida and belonged to a Y with a saline-cleaned pool (I can't stand chlorine) I swam a few times a week. I wasn't counting calories at the time, but I lost weight without feeling deprived due to the extra calories it gave me.

In a pool I probably did a length of breast stroke, a length of back stroke, two lengths of the crawl, and repeated. I might throw in a kickboard length every now and then to mix it up.

I prefer as few other people in the pool with me as possible so scheduled my time at the pool for off-peak hours.

I'm up in Massachusetts now and am not aware of any saline-cleaned pools near me, so have to wait for the pond to warm up, so my swimming season is very limited.

Like you, I start off slow and work up. I can do a mile before the end of the season. It's such great exercise!

I have knee issues and ocean-long flippers help with that. Not sure if the short ones found at pools would.
  • thelandkraken
    thelandkraken Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thank you!

There’s often a lot of children at my pool too, but thankfully there are “fitness” swim times, where it’s all lanes, so I try and go then.

I’ve never heard of saline cleaned pools before!

Hope it goes well for you.
  • sefajane1
    Options
    Thank you!

There’s often a lot of children at my pool too, but thankfully there are “fitness” swim times, where it’s all lanes, so I try and go then.

Our pool is on our complex, only 20 houses and only 4 of those with children but those 12-14 kids can blooming well hog the pool all day 😤 I wish our residents chair would say something about the pool being for everyone but......
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Swimming is excellent but requires some time and learning to develop a good technique. Freestyle is generally what most people use for lap swimming; there are some good Youtube videos to help you with learning proper form but it's hard to get it right without someone providing feedback. You also may want to consider aqua jogging. Aqua jogging just requires investment in a flotation belt to keep you upright above the water.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Thank you!

Our pool is on our complex, only 20 houses and only 4 of those with children but those 12-14 kids can blooming well hog the pool all day 😤 I wish our residents chair would say something about the pool being for everyone but......

Why don’t you proper an adults-only time? That’s what our pool does.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm fairly inactive at the moment (health reasons) but will be able to swim when our pool opens in May.

If you swim regularly have you noticed it toning you up? How often, for how long and what swim stroke do you use?

I can only do breaststroke but I'm hoping that that will make a difference to the good layer of flab I'm currently wearing ☺️ Plus I'm looking forward to the extra calories it will give me 😁

I lap swim 2-3x week including 2 masters sessions that focus on stroke technique. I do mostly front crawl because that’s what I use for triathlon. Swimming is my happy place!
  • Viddo82
    Viddo82 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Swimming is my happy place too. Have not hit the pool for a few weeks.. Missing it :(
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I swim every saturday during term time for about 25 mins. My daughter does swimming lessons so I take the advantage and do laps myself instead of sitting in a closed area with screaming children going deaf.

I don't do it for weight loss and doubt it would make much diff anyway wiht only 25 mins.

I do one lap of breaststroke and come back doing a lap of forward crawl. repeat non stop for 25 mins. Sometimes I do take a little breather, but I kind of make the breaststroke my resting.

Towards the end of my minutes I start to do faster crawls so that I am actually puffing when I get to the end of the pool.

When it's winter and I have to move into the indoor 25m pool I do crawl sprints - faster than in the 50m pool. Just to get the blood pumping more.

I like it. It's very nice me alone time.
  • daveredvette
    daveredvette Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I swim 3x week 2400-2800 meters Freestyle. I mostly feel my lats and shoulders stronger. Swimming is tough to get the correct technique down but once you do it is good to get heart rate up. Your health club should have a Masters swim class. It is made for adults learning to swim and improve strokes.

watch what you eat afterwards because you will feel like you burned a lot of calories but you really don't.

youtube does have good videos on swimming

good luck
  • fcanad
    fcanad Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Be conservative about how many extra calories you actually burn. Are you breathing at an easy pace or slightly faster? If it’s easy pace, cross check with the equivalent effort walking.
    Try using your core when you swim (especially breaststroke!) use back, chest, and abs as you pull, and extend everything with each glide.
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    We have a group here called "Swimmers!". Stop by and look, a lot of activity.
  • sefajane1
    Options
    Bruceapple wrote: »
    We have a group here called "Swimmers!". Stop by and look, a lot of activity.

Thanks @Bruce, I've just joined 👍
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    The pool at the gym is my weekly highlight. Initially I had joined some water aerobic classes to get the best possible benefit for my dodgy knee. Alone the feeling of sudden weight loss, being relieved from my huge weight is a tremendous joy. Every time I jump in I cause a minor tsunami which is greeted with appropriate applause from the gallery. It takes me about 2 hours to get through all the exercises and I am always very reluctant to get out of the pool to face the "weight on my shoulders" again. My inspiration there is a gentleman who had lost his legs and one arm in an accident - it takes him forever to get out of his wheelchair but once in the pool, he swims like a fish. If he can do it, so can I !
  • luaP852350
    luaP852350 Posts: 131 Member
    Options

I really enjoy swimming but by 30 mins I'm shattered 🤒! Your probably fitter than you think 🏆