Celexa and weight gain

Vdale
Vdale Posts: 5
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi there,
I have been on a low dose of celexa for several years and now am attempting to stop taking it. I gained some weight and don't want to be on meds anymore. Did anyone else experience weightgain on anitdepressants and then weight loss after getting off them?
thanks!

Replies

• Vdale
    Vdale Posts: 5
    Hi there,
    I have been on a low dose of celexa for several years and now am attempting to stop taking it. I gained some weight and don't want to be on meds anymore. Did anyone else experience weightgain on anitdepressants and then weight loss after getting off them?
    thanks!
  • fishernd
    fishernd Posts: 140 Member
    I've been on Celexa for 6 months and did not notice a weight gain. Celexa is supposed to be "weight neutral".
  • Jackie_W
    Jackie_W Posts: 1,676 Member
    I'm not on Celexa, but i had noticed when I was first on my anti-depressants, I had a 4lb weight gain, it was only the first 4 weeks, I was feelnig real cruddy, and comfort ate :blushing:
    however, since the meds started taking full effect, Ithey seem to have the opposite effect, I'm now not having any snacks, just 3 meals a day, and I've lost those horrible 4lbs I gained plus a few more :drinker:

As you've been on your meds for several years, i would talk to your doctor first, before coming off them, you may find that you have to wean yourself off after so long.
    How has your state of mind been? I.e. have you felt down, stressed, upset recently?
  • jdelisle
    jdelisle Posts: 1,050 Member
    Generally you would lose I would say.
This discussion has been closed.