So much confusion/anxiety over macros

like stated in previous posts I've made, I am kind of a newbie sadly. Anyways, I'm just looking to maintain, I don't really care if I lose per se, and I do work out, lightly, but I am moderately active (cardio/walking). I use a calorie deficit that I'm comfortable with, however, I am almost always over my fats by a couple of grams. Sometimes I am over my carbs (sugars) as well, is this going to set me back? I don't really eat junk food all that much anymore btw.. I try my hardest to avoid it lol. I am always within or just sliiightly over my caloric intake, I never go above drastically. People have told me that if you're just maintaining or mild weight loss, it doesn't matter as long as you're within a caloric range but I'm so sceptical of that for some reason. I just want some explanations on macros I guess, because they give me huge huge anxiety even though I thought I was doing well..

Replies

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    It is a very, very rare day when I hit my macro ratios and I have never met my exact calorie target. This has not stopped me from either losing weight, nor has it stopped me from maintaining for over 2 years.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Humans thrive on a extremely wide and varied range of macros - there is zero need to try and hit what are generic guidelines down to the last gram. The vast majority of the world's population don't know anything about their macro ratios!!

At maintenance there is also zero need to precisely hit your calorie goal every day - what matters is your average calorie intake over a very extended period of time.

Here's a link to a nice write up about macros but please ease up on yourself. Don't choose to be stressed and unhappy for no good reason.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    pagophagia wrote: »
    like stated in previous posts I've made, I am kind of a newbie sadly. Anyways, I'm just looking to maintain, I don't really care if I lose per se, and I do work out, lightly, but I am moderately active (cardio/walking). I use a calorie deficit that I'm comfortable with, however, I am almost always over my fats by a couple of grams. Sometimes I am over my carbs (sugars) as well, is this going to set me back? I don't really eat junk food all that much anymore btw.. I try my hardest to avoid it lol. I am always within or just sliiightly over my caloric intake, I never go above drastically. People have told me that if you're just maintaining or mild weight loss, it doesn't matter as long as you're within a caloric range but I'm so sceptical of that for some reason. I just want some explanations on macros I guess, because they give me huge huge anxiety even though I thought I was doing well..

Go to a TDEE calculator like this one (http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/), and determine your maintenance calories. That will quell your anxiety about going slightly over your calorie target.

My maintenance calories are 2300. I strive to target 1750 calories per day. If I go over my calories, even if it were 300 calories over, I'm still in a 250 calorie deficit for the day. Knowing this saved me a lot of stress.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    pagophagia wrote: »

There are millions of healthy, fit people in the world who aren't even aware of what their macros are so I don't know why you would be skeptical. Calories are what matter for weight management. People do a lot of hand wringing over stuff that isn't that important.

I don't log and haven't in years...I'm pretty fit and healthy and I'm only vaguely aware of my macros from the days when I used to log. I've been maintaining going on 6 years.

Yep, in the scheme of things macro ratios don't really mean a whole lot for the vast majority of people. Also 6 years into maintenance and I don't track/care about macros. I've still hit all my weight/health goals.

OP-as long as you're keeping your calories in check and are eating a diet that has a good variety of foods then you're going to be fine :)