How much is too much protein for a female losing weight ?

2»

Replies

• sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    With the 0.8-1.3g/lb LBM protein recommendation, can someone explain if this should be the same each day regardless of how much your total calories increases in a day as a result of exercise?
    Eg say on a normal day of 1600 calories I aim for 100g protein, then the next day I burn 1000 extra exercise calories, do I still only need the 100g or should I be trying to keep the same % macro split as on the non-exercise days and thus eating quite a bit more protein?
    Sorry to hijack your thread OP but it is sort of relevant and has been puzzling me lately.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Oh and OP, please consider eating more fruit and vegetables for the micronutrients you need. A useful motto is ‘eat the rainbow’ so maybe add some berries/dates/figs/grapes to your yoghurt, veggies or a salad with your lunch and snack on some carrot & pepper sticks or throw an apple or banana into the mix.
    The extra calories will help fuel your workouts and make you stronger/faster/improve endurance and your body will thank you for the variety & extra fiber too.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member
    sarabushby wrote: »
    With the 0.8-1.3g/lb LBM protein recommendation, can someone explain if this should be the same each day regardless of how much your total calories increases in a day as a result of exercise?
    Eg say on a normal day of 1600 calories I aim for 100g protein, then the next day I burn 1000 extra exercise calories, do I still only need the 100g or should I be trying to keep the same % macro split as on the non-exercise days and thus eating quite a bit more protein?
    Sorry to hijack your thread OP but it is sort of relevant and has been puzzling me lately.

Only the 100g, unless for some reason you like eating more protein when you have more calories, believe in extra protein after certain types of muscle-challenging workouts, or something like that. Staying with 100g is fine, but more is fine, too (within reason, of course). Percent splits are just an easy-to-calculate way to approximate sensible macro splits within a software environment like MFP's, and approximate is mostly close enough.

If you look at USDA/WHO information, they'll have some summary statements like "X grams for the average woman", but off in the details somewhere some information about grams per pound of bodyweight (they don't usually qualify it as healthy goal weight, but doing that makes sense to me around MFP where very often people are heavier than they want to be, and on reduced calories besides).

For example, I hit a minimum of 100g protein every day, but sometimes eat more (basically by cooincidence ;) ). I target 50g minimum fats (this is the macro I'm most likely to undereat, personally, but am OK with close. I also aim for a bare minimum of 5 (80g) servings of veggies & fruit daily, and prefer 10+. After that, if there are calories left over, anything is fair game, including on days with lots of exercise where there are lots of extra calories. Maybe craft beer and pizza and gelato . . . ! ;)

• nocgirl72
    nocgirl72 Posts: 139 Member
    Hi checking in. I went to see my friends new baby tonight and she’s a nurse. She noticed I’ve lost weight ( always nice) and she asked what I’ve been doing. I mentioned high protein and working out and I mentioned I was concerned with kidney function with my GFR being 53. I do not have all. My blood test results my DR said he mailed them Sonos I have to go pick them up but she said it’s most likely the high protein and my GFR should be at least 60. Eek. So I need to change up my eating and lower protein and eat more good carbs.

According to MFP weight loss calculator I should be eating 1200 calories, 150 carbs ( seems high). Under 40g of fat. I’m under all that today easily but my sugar is higher than usual because I had a banana for breakfast. Raspberries for part snack. Some strawberries for part of my lunch. I gave my sugar limit set at 20g but right now I’m at 40.

I’m going to eat less protein in morning, and eat more food carbs in am so I can keep my protein under 100g a day. More likely 90g. I’ll see what the kidney dr says Monday.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member
    nocgirl72 wrote: »
    Hi checking in. I went to see my friends new baby tonight and she’s a nurse. She noticed I’ve lost weight ( always nice) and she asked what I’ve been doing. I mentioned high protein and working out and I mentioned I was concerned with kidney function with my GFR being 53. I do not have all. My blood test results my DR said he mailed them Sonos I have to go pick them up but she said it’s most likely the high protein and my GFR should be at least 60. Eek. So I need to change up my eating and lower protein and eat more good carbs.

According to MFP weight loss calculator I should be eating 1200 calories, 150 carbs ( seems high). Under 40g of fat. I’m under all that today easily but my sugar is higher than usual because I had a banana for breakfast. Raspberries for part snack. Some strawberries for part of my lunch. I gave my sugar limit set at 20g but right now I’m at 40.

I’m going to eat less protein in morning, and eat more food carbs in am so I can keep my protein under 100g a day. More likely 90g. I’ll see what the kidney dr says Monday.

No - at least 40g of fat. Fat is really important for a lot of physical processes, such as the absorption of various vitamins. If you get those good carbs as vegetables, consider frying some of them :)
  • nocgirl72
    nocgirl72 Posts: 139 Member
    Update- kidney Dr is not concerned about anything. He is ordering more labs in 1 month. He said high protein diets trigger a false reading. He does want an ultrasound o them since a couple other numbers were off.

He said no red meat. No protein shakes ( damn). Everything else like eggs chicken turkey is fine.

What is a great healthy sweet treat? I like the weight watcher giant fudge bars.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member
    edited March 2019
    nocgirl72 wrote: »
    Update- kidney Dr is not concerned about anything. He is ordering more labs in 1 month. He said high protein diets trigger a false reading. He does want an ultrasound o them since a couple other numbers were off.

He said no red meat. No protein shakes ( damn). Everything else like eggs chicken turkey is fine.

What is a great healthy sweet treat? I like the weight watcher giant fudge bars.

Well, that sounds like pretty good news!

And thanks for following up: I was hoping you'd get some reassurance. I hope the ultrasound similarly turns out to also be a non-event. :)

Enjoy your treat! :drinker: