Curious !! Gained 4lbs from yesterday’s wrkout?!

Options
buzarraga
buzarraga Posts: 3 Member
Hello !!
I’m new to this form and just barley getting started on workouts , meal planning , healthy eating etc. yesterday my Husband and I did an amazing HIIT workout ., doubles my squats and sit-ups anyywhhhooooo .... I weighed my self right when I got up this morning and saw that I have gained 4 lbs is this right ?? Lol some nice input would be great !
Thank you all :)

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Water weight from exercise.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Sounds about right. Your muscles will hold onto some water while they recover. It's a normal process and will take a day or two to come back off. Keep it up!
  • buzarraga
    buzarraga Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you both for the info !! Means a lot getting reply’s as well with motivation ! A simple “keep it up” can change the mindset of someone who’s slacking to do better ! Thank you ☺️
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,882 Member
    Options
    Exercise is only one among a loooong list of things that can temporarily cause higher water retention. If you have a good handle on your intake, and are sure you didn't eat enough calories to account for a scale gain, it isn't fat, and you shouldn't need to worry about it.

For example, to gain 4 pounds, you'd have to eat a cumulative 14,000 calories over and above maintenance calories for your current weight. I think you'd notice if you'd been doing anything that dramatic recently. ;)

In general, quick increases and decreases are mostly water weight.

I like to think of current weight not as one number, but rather as a range of a few pounds. So, we cycle up and down within a few pounds' range over a day or period of multiple days.

What's really important in a weight loss effort is fat loss, and that's something that shows up over the longer term, i.e., over weeks to months. That current fluctuating weight range slowly, over time, moves downward. Just using made up numbers, maybe this week weight fluctuates around 223-229, up and down through the week. Three weeks later, maybe it's fluctuating 221-227-ish. That would be what losing two pounds in 3 weeks might look like.

As long as you know you're on track with your intake, for your activity/exercise levels, it's a good plan to ride out the day to day fluctuations calmly, and watch the weeks to months changes in weight trend.

There are even weight trending apps you can use to keep an eye on this. They're not a magic crystal ball, but they use statistics to smooth out the fluctuations a little, so you can see the trend more clearly (works best after you get a few weeks of daily weight input in the app, so it has data to work from).

In my weight-trending app, one chunk of my weight loss looked like the graph below. (The connected down-hill-ish line is the trend; the little upright bars connect each daily weight to the trend. You can see that the daily weights bounce all over: That's water fluctuation. The downhill shows that I was losing fat (mostly).)

79f9phe4s9qg.png

Some weight trending apps are Happy Scale (for iOS), Libra (for Android), Trendweight (with a free Fitbit account), and there are others.

P.S. I accidentally lost weight too fast for a while during the time period shown in the graph above. Don't do that: It's a Bad Plan. ;)