Squatting - hip and ankle mobility

Options
I am having issues with my right foot flaring out during squats and also my right hip stays pretty tight. I continuously work with my coach on form, which is fine, just my right foot after about 4 reps flares out. I have tried multiple stances. Best stance for me is wider. Anything I can do for ankle mobility??

Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Regarding your tight hip, you should consider taking up Pilates or Yoga but go to an actual class where the trainer show you how to properly do the moves. Cant help on ankle mobility I'm afraid.
  • ryan_powerlifter
    ryan_powerlifter Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    @jdscrubs32 thanks, great idea. Probably wouldn't hurt at all doing yoga. More flexibility all around.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I do daily stretches for my hips - figure four, pigeon, runner's lunge, etc.

I do yoga once a week (wish I had time to do it more often).

I also got some Adidas Leistung squat shoes, because my left ankle may never get more mobility, due to having been broken and third-degree sprained.
  • ryan_powerlifter
    Options
    @quiksylver296 funny you mention that, I was just watching youtube videos on stretches and those stretches were mentioned. I definitely will need to do more stretching outside of just warming up and cooling down.

Thats pretty much the case with my right ankle, broke it a few times as a kid and it never fully healed properly. My coach mentioned better lifting shoes, but have no idea what to get. I will be checking out the Adidas you mentioned!

Appreciate the feedback!
  • jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    @jdscrubs32 thanks, great idea. Probably wouldn't hurt at all doing yoga. More flexibility all around.

Exactly. I just need to get myself back to Pilates classes. The best Pilates instructor in the gym I go to went and had a baby. The cheek;)
  • ryan_powerlifter
    Options
    @jdscrubs32 I did some yoga this morning. suck so bad at it lol!! Will get better over time, of course. Felt pretty good afterwards.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I've got pretty weak ankles (thanks genetics? lol) and work using a bosu ball has helped with strength and mobility, quite a bit actually. Lots of youtube videos on that.
    The other thing I do religiously is body weight squats using a towel or trx on a post in the basement. Full range ATG to vertical always helps to loosen me up quite a bit.

That said, I seriously doubt I squat anywhere near the weight you do. Best luck with it!
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Some people just squat with a slightly wider stance. I have not come across anything that says this is harmful or takes away from your squats.

I squat slightly wider, I also squat as deep as I can without rounding my hips. I have heard most people who squat deep often use a wider stance.

I also squat whenever possible. Bending to pick something up? No thanks, I'll squat. Need to move laundry from washer to dryer? Squat please.
  • ryan_powerlifter
    Options
    @Phirrgus I will have to look into a Bosu ball and check that out. I do what you do as well for warm-ups, body weight squats using a towel around the squat rack. helps out a lot.

@ExistingFish I squat wide, but my problem is my right ankle flare out way to much which in return causes bad form, knee issues etc. Trying to get better ankle mobility to stop the flare out
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    yes. go look at www.ganbarumethod.com or @ coacheugeneteo on IG or facebook. A whole bunch of stuff on this topic.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Define flare out please.

Can you post a vid of your squat taken directly from the side and also front at knee height?

Are you using lifing shoes? This often takes out any ankle mobility issues if it is in fact a mobility issue which is usually not the case for most who say so. It's usually just a small adjustment that can make the biggest difference. A good coach will be able to get you there.

As for hips more squat reps will give you the best stretch for squats because of specificity to the movement.

Unfortunately yoga isn't the best for powerlifting if that is your goal. It actually takes out some of the rebound effect out of the hole. We want muscles to "stay tight" (for a lack of a better cue). If we stretch them more than needed for the movement then we loose pounds on the barbell which is our goal in training and meets.
  • ryan_powerlifter
    Options
    thanks @Cahgetsfit I will check out the IG

@Chieflrg Best way to describe it is after about 4 reps my right foot slowly starts to rotate more outwards. I would have to pause and readjust my foot again. I do not have a video, but I am sure I can record one and post
  • msurkus
    msurkus Posts: 23 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    The lazy mans stretch. Sissy squats about 30 reps 5 sets a day. It will allow you to concentrate on maximum isolation contraction and flexibility of the muscle under a controlled movement to avoid injury. No yoga needed. Leg will thank you.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    oh and hey OP - @ australianstrengthcoach for all goodies powerlifting. Check him out. Sometimes he posts videos with his bench/squat/deadlift cues and as well as copious dick jokes, his content is tops.