do-it-yourself pre-packaged meals?

Options
2»

Replies

• glamorousAdvocate
    glamorousAdvocate Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I find success in making soups and stews. Buying prepackaged is expensive for me, but my grandfather is a hunter (please no judgement, we are indigenous, it's cultural) and so I get a lot of nice lean meats like moose and venison. When I can't get that, I'll use chicken. Use a low sodium broth (or make your own! But this takes a looong time) and packages of frozen pre-cut vegetables (carrots, yams, broccoli, really anything you want) from the supermarket (make sure to put the peas in last). Stew it for a good few hours. Really the only cutting you'll be doing is potatoes.

Stews and soups are always hearty, delicious, comforting and filling, but without too many calories if you choose your fillers smartly. Since I'm always making a huge batch all at once, I find it easy to divvy it up into single portions that can then go in the freezer and I can have for lunch every day that week. I can make two or three varieties of soup/stew each week, so I never get bored. And then I can reward myself with a nice extra large bowl at the end of the day once a week of newly cooked soup for a job well done.

I find it quite rewarding, and I suggest it to anyone that would rather not spend money on a lot of processed food or is worried about their sodium intake, or just doesn't have the time or patience to prep a meal every day. Soups and stews are very simple and 90% of the cooking is actually just waiting.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i do batch cooking. and then preportion.
    pancakes, pudding, parfaits, soup, stir fries. takes about an hour 1 day a week to get food ready for the week.
    i try to make extra too to put in the freezer for another time for weeks i don't feel like making anything
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I find success in making soups and stews. Buying prepackaged is expensive for me, but my grandfather is a hunter (please no judgement, we are indigenous, it's cultural) and so I get a lot of nice lean meats like moose and venison. When I can't get that, I'll use chicken. Use a low sodium broth (or make your own! But this takes a looong time) and packages of frozen pre-cut vegetables (carrots, yams, broccoli, really anything you want) from the supermarket (make sure to put the peas in last). Stew it for a good few hours. Really the only cutting you'll be doing is potatoes.

Stews and soups are always hearty, delicious, comforting and filling, but without too many calories if you choose your fillers smartly. Since I'm always making a huge batch all at once, I find it easy to divvy it up into single portions that can then go in the freezer and I can have for lunch every day that week. I can make two or three varieties of soup/stew each week, so I never get bored. And then I can reward myself with a nice extra large bowl at the end of the day once a week of newly cooked soup for a job well done.

I find it quite rewarding, and I suggest it to anyone that would rather not spend money on a lot of processed food or is worried about their sodium intake, or just doesn't have the time or patience to prep a meal every day. Soups and stews are very simple and 90% of the cooking is actually just waiting.

No judgment on hunting for food from me :)

Stock made from bones at home is far superior to anything one can buy in a supermarket, as far as I'm concerned. I save bones in the freezer and when I'm low on stock, dump them in the crockpot for 8-10 hours. Yes, that's a long time, but I usually do this overnight, and like you said, it's mostly waiting. When done, strained, and cooled I package it in various size containers and freeze it.

I too make big batches of soups/stews and freeze them.
  • mrscarnevale
    mrscarnevale Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I do Optavia, the fuelings (meals) are very simple to make with some "hacks" if you like to be fancier with meals. The cost varies, depending on how many you buy. Can be 250 up to 400 a month, but buying groceries and going out to eat usually acquaints around that price anyway and you wouldn't be going out or buying much for groceries. You do eat one meal on your own (lean and green) but that could be a lean cuisine or Optavia also sells prepackaged lean and green meals. I like that they have been scientifically made to have all the vitamins and minerals you need, so need to buy vitamins either (unless you have a special need).
  • nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Hi all. One of the biggest challenges for me in losing weight is having to "play" with food - food prep. I don't like the drudgery of it and going to the trouble of cooking makes me want to cook something good (high calorie) not diet food.

I have been considering a plan like Optavia where all the meals are pre-packaged so that I can just grab X number of meals for the day and not have to think about it. I'm not really interested in a very low calorie diet (Optavia is) but I like the pre-packaged concept. I'm also not thrilled about the $400/month price tag for Optavia.

Is there a way to "do it yourself" for a pre-packaged food plan? I like rote repetition as it makes it simple to follow. I sort of do this now with a peanut butter sandwhich for breakfast, a McDonald's McDouble for lunch, but then I often blow it at dinner when I have to deal with the family meal.

Are there pre-packaged foods that work well in a diet plan and don't require a lot of fuss? I guess I could get some "TV dinner" kind of things and that way portion and calorie control is handled for me.

I'm not big into left-overs so the idea of making a batch of stuff and eating it over a week is not appealing. Then there is the portion control aspect of not giving yourself more than you should from the "pot".

Does anyone else use pre-packaged food as part of their diet plan? Any suggestions?

Steve

This is me all over. I am a good cook and love cooking but what that means is that I create something extremely high calorie. I realised I listened to the general consensus for too long about 'ready meals' and that actually its a much easier way to control your intake if like me you would cook up a storm in the kitchen.

I would just buy ready meals that are good quality, as good as you can get, that you can tolerate, some ready meals are not very tasty (obviously thats the pay off) and then use them where its all pre calculated for you.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    I am retired now, but when I worked. On the weekend I would buy chicken tenders, boneless pork loin chops, small white and sweet potatoes, and small packages of frozen veggies I like, portion the meat and freeze individual portions. While having breakfast, I took one meat out and put in the fridge to thaw. After work, I put the meat in the George
    Foreman, a potato and one package of veggies on my dinner plate in the microwave, then went to change clothes. When I came back to the kitchen, dinner was done. An easy alternative to frozen dinners. More choice.
    You could also easily use precooked frozen meats, or small ham steaks.