Curious question: Sign Language Interpreting calories?

Options
Hey Gang!

I'm kinda new here. Here's my question. I'm a teacher of the Deaf. From time to time I have to cover the interpreters, and stand on my feet for 45 minutes of signing.

You think, really, that shouldn't be counted as "exercise." I'm kinda dripping in sweat now from moving fairly vigorously from signing for 45 minutes straight. So, based on this, I'm gonna count it! :-)

Hmm...

What would you log this unique "exercise" as?

Replies

• phoenixgirl81
    phoenixgirl81 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I know this is an old topic, but I was about to post a similar topic and thought I'd search through the forum first.

I'm a full-time sign language interpreter, and some days I do 8 hour conferences (team interpreted, obviously, or I would injur myself but it's 15-20 "on" then the same "off" but still paying attention and prompting my co-interpreter). Now, my dietician tells me I can't count it as "exercise" which I kind of agree with because it's not really cardio and it's not really strength, but it's 4+ hours a day of vigorous arm movements and 8+ hours a day of brain work which sucks my energy dry.

I read somewhere online (I know, you can't really trust online sources) that interpreting and conducting orchestras burn the same number of calories, and that's about 160/hour. So my dilemma is that standing/sitting all day isn't activeity, but interpreting isn't actually sedintary. So what do I do?

i've lost 39lbs (18kg) so far and am working out 5 times per week, so it's not like I'm looking for an excuse. I just think that interpreting has to count for something as on my big, heavy days, when my arms are flying at ninja speed, I am often just exhausted and hungry.

Any other interpreters out there? Anyone with any helpful advice?
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I would log it as something like tai chi (which exists in the database).

I occasionally do soft Chi Gung, and it consists of mild leg engagement and constant hand motion. I log this a tai chi, since it's kind of a cousin. If you have your activity level set a sedentary, then 6-8 hours of standing and waving your hands around ninja style is definitely not sedentary! I would log it..... as long as you log all your calories in with the same fervour, then why not calories out?

Alternatively, you could set your activity level to the next one up and not log it at all. However, this is a problem if you don't do marathon signing sessions all day, every day! Probably more accurate to stick to sedentary and log the actual signing.....

PS I should add that I'm not an interpreter, but just someone who wanted to poke their nose in something that's none of their business! Glad I cleared that up....
  • phoenixgirl81
    Options
    jimmer, thanks for your response. I hadn't thought of it like tai chi. It makes sense that it would be similar.

I might see how I go for a few weeks logging it like that and see what impact it has on my weight loss.

*yay! I have someone else who thinks that waving my hands around ninja style would be burning calories!*

Edit: I log EVERY skeric that goes in my mouth. Totally pedantic about that. I just wanted to reply to your warning to log calories with the same fervour. :)
  • sgarrard01
    sgarrard01 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    If your sweating and your heart rate is elevated, why not weare a heart rate monitor??
  • fofipps
    fofipps Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm an interpreter too. I don't log the calories. I figure signing didn't help me lose weight before as it's part of my normal daily routine. I wish the mental exhaustion that comes with an extended session burned calories.
  • phoenixgirl81
    Options
    fofipps, I don't think it's going to help me lose weight, I just know that it takes energy and therefore it needs to be fuelled somehow.
  • fofipps
    Options
    It is an interesting question. I'd love to wear my HRM to find out, but the watch part is so bulky, and probably distracting.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    It is an interesting question. I'd love to wear my HRM to find out, but the watch part is so bulky, and probably distracting.

If it's a HRM with a chest strap the watch part doesn't have to be on your wrist. I have a Polar HRM and when I'm lifting heavy sometimes it gets in the way of my wrist movement, so I attach the watch to my bra strap, but I'm pretty sure you could put it in your pocket.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Good question, I often work with interpreters and I'm in awe if the job you guys do - both the mental and physical aspects of it.
    I thunk it would be pretty hard to log it as a separate exercise, but would include it in your daily activity level - ifvyoure at sedentary, bump it up to lightly active to account for the extra activity.

Or you could look at a gadget to record your calories burnt all day - something like Fitbit woukd probably be best. As you're not doing a cardio activity, a HRM isn't going to be much use here.
  • fofipps
    Options
    Thanks! I'll try it and report back! Hopefully it'll be some exciting, and emotional for maximum calorie burn!
  • phoenixgirl81
    Options
    Thanks! I'll try it and report back! Hopefully it'll be some exciting, and emotional for maximum calorie burn!

Awesome! Let us know. If it could be something ultra tricky and wordy, fast paced and without interruptions (other than to swap terps) that would be awesome! lol
  • AngieCasanave
    Options
    Hi! I might just change my profile settings to "Lightly Active" or "Active." It's when you first set up the account but it can be changed in Settings/Update diet&fitness profile.
    Otherwise I have seen different posts suggest ASL interpreting burns between 150 & 200 calories/hour. Of course it would depend on if you were sitting or standing, too.
    Hope it helps:)
  • kking1234567890
    kking1234567890 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've wondered this too! I've noticed I'm more hungry on the days I work crazy hours...but it's not everyday (we had an ice storm so I'm stuck inside for the next couple of days). I was at a loss as to how I should count it. I'm trying to workout a few days a week and I've kept it at a sedentary lifestyle to compensate for the days I don't do much. I should add that I've been interpreting about 20 years so it rarely wears me out anymore and I have about 40 more lbs to lose. I'm not a huge eater anymore (I'm 36). Thanks for the suggestions!
  • khaki041489
    khaki041489 Posts: 2 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    i'm a Pentecostal terp; teach Deaf class for 1.5 hours then help the student terps thru the songs and announcements; lastly, interpret the preaching, probably about 30 minutes. I created my own exercise and labeled it Pentecostal interpreting bc it's such a workout. you can create and label your own terp workout; hope that helps.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    7 year old thread :#
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    7 year old thread :#

Well there is seven years of data.

Abstract?