Drs orders

Options
Dr said I might be prediabetic. I don’t eat beef or pork and I’m trying to figure out how to make this a little less daunting? I feel like this is a lot and I’m not entirely sure where to start. Help?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Did your doctor have any specific recommendations for your diet? If not, would it be possible for you to get an referral to an RD to help you plan your next steps?
  • apurvas5640
    apurvas5640 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    He really just told me to stop eating late, less carbs, and way less sugar
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

But you dont feel like you can do any of those things?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Did he give you specific goals for carbohydrates or sugar? If so, you can begin logging your meals now and see how much you're eating and begin making small adjustments to your diet to bring it to the levels he's recommending. If that seems completely overwhelming or you aren't sure what to shoot for, a professional like an RD can sometimes be helpful.

For the eating late, do you know what time you'd like to stop eating? Once you have a goal, you can begin to implement it. If you find yourself failing to meet the goal sometimes, figuring out why will help you make a plan for future days. Is it boredom, hunger, too many tempting foods around?
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Diabetes Society
    www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/what-can-i-eat/

Are you constantly asking yourself, "What can I eat?" It's time to stop worrying! Living with diabetes doesn't have to mean feeling deprived. We'll help you learn to balance your meals and make the healthiest food choices.
    Once you get the hang of eating a healthy diet, you can relax and dig in to a wide variety of delicious meals and snacks.
    A great way to get started is with the special meal planning bundle available at shopdiabetes.org.

• apurvas5640
    apurvas5640 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I do. But I also work weird hours where I won’t get home til midnight or I won’t have eaten from 6 am until about 4 pm. So it’s more I’m afraid I’m going to mess it up by eating the things that he said not to eat, since it’s supposed to be fruits and veggies at night.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Dr said I might be prediabetic. I don’t eat beef or pork and I’m trying to figure out how to make this a little less daunting? I feel like this is a lot and I’m not entirely sure where to start. Help?

When will the doctor know for sure?

The best place to start is to evaluate your current diet. If you have not been logging now is a good time to start. You may find that while some changes are needed they may not be as much as might be worrying you at the moment. This will also help you if you decide to talk to an RD.

When/if you do talk to an RD you need to instruct them that for now you want to keep your changes confined to the diagnosis. It has been my experience that some can still be opinionated about "processed" foods and whatnot.

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Do you need to lose weight? If you do, often losing weight and moderating carbs are the key to stopping prediabetes from progressing. So set yourself up here to see what your calorie goal is, focus on lowering your carbs and sugar, and maybe hold off on the eating late thing until you get a handle on your weight and get your carbs moderated and see what that does to your prediabetic status?

The awesome thing about the prediabetic diagnosis is that you don't need to panic - you have time to figure out what to do and improve your situation before things get dire.

Good luck!
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    I do. But I also work weird hours where I won’t get home til midnight or I won’t have eaten from 6 am until about 4 pm. So it’s more I’m afraid I’m going to mess it up by eating the things that he said not to eat, since it’s supposed to be fruits and veggies at night.

I honestly wouldn't worry too much about the late night eating thing. Of all the things he's told you, that one is the least important. Work on controlling the other things first. Then when you get a hold on them, you can focus on other things that maybe you can do to improve it. But if changing up your timing is going to make it difficult for you to make improved diet choices, then I wouldn't focus on doing it first.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options

This can be easily solved with a little brainstorming/research and preparation. There are millions of resources online with ideas for carb control. Also, if you do mess up you can learn from any mistakes. Unless the doctor says otherwise this is not something to take lightly but it is not something to panic over.
  • jlbtnc
    jlbtnc Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    It is best to do what the doctor tells you, maybe check with to see if any other recommendations, if not I was like that last year and was told to cut back on carbs and sugars. I know have no use no extra sugars. many years ago I was told to stay away from white foods, such as chips, potatoes, white breads noddles. Of course never new what that meant until this year it finally clicked. It will be a life style change! I was also told to eat as if I was a diabetic, no sugar. Research how to control if prediabetic or check the http://www.diabetes.org/ this might help also.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Why can't you eat fruits and veg at night?

It sounds like you just need to do a little planning.

At the moment you're already defeated without even trying by the sounds of it.
  • jaimydude
    jaimydude Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    If you're prediabetic, the best thing you can do is lose weight (If you are overweight). So basically start watching your portions on everything and start walking 30-60 minutes a day. Also important is to eliminate simple carbs from your diet as far as you can (especially rotis, rice etc). At first you will be shocked at how little you're actually supposed to eat but once you get used to the smalled quantities, it won't be a big deal (based only on my exp.)
    You need to mainly reduce your intake of carbs but make sure you don't overdo other stuff to compensate. If you're weight comes down and stays down you will be fine.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    OP, I normalized prediabetic numbers by losing excess weight. Are you overweight? If so, just losing the weight may be enough to improve your glucose numbers.
  • kbmnurse1
    kbmnurse1 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Why not see a dietitian? If you have health insurance check to see if they have any Health Coach Programs available. I would have certainly asked the doctor more information? Was your glucose high? Eating beef and pork has nothing to do with being pre-diabetic. So this is your wake up call educate yourself and take this seriously. Diabetes is no joke.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Did your doctor have any specific recommendations for your diet? If not, would it be possible for you to get an referral to an RD to help you plan your next steps?

This.

Or just do a little meal planning and consider making your evening meal in advance. Typically advice would be something like mix carbs with fiber and protein, limit added sugar and carbs that don't come with fiber.

Weight loss often fixes the problem if you have weight to lose.

I doubt eating late if you get home late is the issue (although this is why you should talk to a dietitian). Often doctors give canned advice like that thinking that many people snack at night after dinner.
  • thanos5
    thanos5 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I have type 2. my a1c was 10.7 in august, it is now 5.9.

my super secret? i eat less calories than i burn. that's it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,922 Member
    Options

Get a food scale, start logging your food, and see where you can start cutting sugar.

You could log for a week and open your diary for us to make suggestions.

Your doctor's advice sounds confusing - did you tell him or her you get home late?

Did they give you a printout you could post here?

I think your best bet is to ask for a referral to a dietitian who can help you sort all this out.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    This is for diabetics, but maybe this information would help...

"Lifestyle therapy begins with nutrition counseling and education. All patients should strive to attain and maintain an optimal weight through a primarily plant-based meal plan high in polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fatty acids, with limited intake of saturated fatty acids and avoidance of trans fats."