Healthy dessert recipes

Options
Hi all! Please share your healthy dessert recipes with me. Dessert is the #1 reason why I’m not losing weight. Thanks from the chocoholic

Replies

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    'Freezer jam' from frozen berries and splenda is great for the calorie count. Warmed up and then topped with greek yogurt or cottage cheese is a favorite of mine. (low calorie +high protein+minimal effort required).

Unsweetened cocoa powder is pretty low calorie. Adding splenda instead of sugar saves a lot of calories in hot cocoa or a quick chocolate sauce.
  • nocgirl72
    nocgirl72 Posts: 139 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    A chocolate protein shake. Quest has a zero net carb 0 sugar powder one that’s great. 100 calories. You can also throw some pb fit or pb2 in there or put that on celery or an apple. Yum. Great if u love peanut butter
  • nocgirl72
    nocgirl72 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Weight watchers giant fudge bar 90 calories.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    I got an electric ice cream maker (I think you can sometimes find $30-$40 ones on sale) and basically, I blend up soft fruit until smooth and make it into a sorbet with the ice cream maker, or I cook harder fruit until soft, and then do the same thing. I make sure to get ripe, sweet fruit, so I don't add sweetener, and I might add herbs or seasonings for extra flavor.

One of my favorites was apples - cooked them, blended smooth, and added apple pie-type flavorings, like cinnamon. It made this lovely, creamy caramel colored sorbet that tasted like apple pie, even though cold.

watermelon and mint and a little lemon juice is nice, too, or cantaloupe and lemon. banana and cocoa powder.

These could be made in maybe 15 minutes in the machine, so nearly no prep time and you can do other things while it is being made, typically, and because it's the whole fruit, not just juice, it's pretty healthy, and with no dairy or sweetener added, it's low in calories. Desserts were my big issue, too, calorie-wise, and this literally felt like it saved me.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    I usually eat fruit with whipped cream or a mini ice cream sandwich.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I just keep my desserts to 200 calories or fewer per serving. This time it was 1/4 cup triple sec mixed with 1/2 cup orange marmalade, poured over 4 sliced seedless oranges. 8 servings at about 95 calories each.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I recently discovered Yasso bars; I love them for days I either don't want a more calorie-dense dessert, or want something a little sweet. Their bars also have a variety of calorie ranges. I really, really like them!
  • emilysusana
    emilysusana Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I love slow-churned ice cream. You can find a variety of flavors for anywhere between 110 and 140 calories per serving. Be sure to weigh in grams, as a serving is not what you’re used to seeing in the ice cream shop! But it satisfies me!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,426 Member
    Options
    Cut a pear in half lengthwise and scoop out the hard part with the seeds. Pour some balsamic vinegar in the hole and roast the pear for 15-20 min at 425. Sprinkle with cinnamon.

Sweet, filling and satisfying and only about 110 calories. So filling we’ve decided to just split a pear next time which even halves that number. You can also fill the hole with a spoonful of chopped walnuts before baking.

I use a quality Cinnamon-Pear balsamic from Oli+Ve. 10 calories per tablespoon. They have a ton of flavors and they are terrific in lieu of salad dressings, too. Their chocolate balsamic (still 10 calories per tbs) makes a mean base for pork carnitas, and is also good over plain yogurt, or cottage cheese with fruit. Gourmet vinegar places are sprouting up all over. Worth every dime, and worth a visit to sample. They are all very different tasting. A $10-15 bottle of a good vinegar seems expensive til you realize it lasts several times longer than an equivalent sized salad dressing and is way more versatile. Plus they satisfy the old sweet tooth.

Btw I never knew this, but a good quality cinnamon is a totally different experience than the cheap McCormicks or grocery brands. Whole Foods has a good one called Frontier Co-op Vietnamese 5% oil. Absolutely worth the dollar or two extra a bottle over the cheaper ones because it gives the sensation of extra sweetness and you don’t have to use very much.

Baked apples are good, too. Sprinkle with a little apple pie spice.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Cut a pear in half lengthwise and scoop out the hard part with the seeds. Pour some balsamic vinegar in the hole and roast the pear for 15-20 min at 425. Sprinkle with cinnamon.

Sweet, filling and satisfying and only about 110 calories. So filling we’ve decided to just split a pear next time which even halves that number. You can also fill the hole with a spoonful of chopped walnuts before baking.

I use a quality Cinnamon-Pear balsamic from Oli+Ve. 10 calories per tablespoon. They have a ton of flavors and they are terrific in lieu of salad dressings, too. Their chocolate balsamic (still 10 calories per tbs) makes a mean base for pork carnitas, and is also good over plain yogurt, or cottage cheese with fruit. Gourmet vinegar places are sprouting up all over. Worth every dime, and worth a visit to sample. They are all very different tasting. A $10-15 bottle of a good vinegar seems expensive til you realize it lasts several times longer than an equivalent sized salad dressing and is way more versatile. Plus they satisfy the old sweet tooth.

Btw I never knew this, but a good quality cinnamon is a totally different experience than the cheap McCormicks or grocery brands. Whole Foods has a good one called Frontier Co-op Vietnamese 5% oil. Absolutely worth the dollar or two extra a bottle over the cheaper ones because it gives the sensation of extra sweetness and you don’t have to use very much.

Baked apples are good, too. Sprinkle with a little apple pie spice.

I like Frontier. They are very economical when purchased by the pound, which can be done on iherb.com https://www.iherb.com/search?kw=frontier&cids=8410

Note: a pound of most spices is a LOT so I only recommend this for staple spices or if you can split with someone. I buy these by the pound: Italian seasoning, pumpkin pie spice blend, garlic granules, and peppercorns.

If you can split with 4 other someones you can create a coop and get really incredible prices for all kinds of things.

Actually, that has changed recently - now you don't have to be a coop to buy. It's not clear how membership works anymore but I intend to find out https://wholesale.frontiercoop.com/membership.html
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    Options
    Fruit topped with Fage or cottage cheese. If you have the calories sprinkle some pecans or almonds pieces and drizzle with Hershey sugar free chocolate syrup.

Sometimes I mix equal part of no sugar added easy churned vanilla ice cream (supermarket brand) with Fage.

Homemade, no sugar added, apple sauce topped with Fage (I don't eat anything with cinnamon).

Dannon light and fit Greek style yogurt. One serving= 80 calories

I don't have a sweet tooth so my deserts are simple and not too high in calories, and if my dinner was filling, I may skip desert all together.
  • echmain3
    echmain3 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by “healthy”?
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    echmain3 wrote: »
    What do you mean by “healthy”?

Hopefully not the Pinterest definition, involving lots of dates and avocado. However, you and I both know OP means lighter in calories.
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    My favs:
    Vanilla Chia pudding
    blackberries or blueberries - sometimes with cream.
    Lemon sorbet - all easy to make!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Did someone say chocolate???

Okay, what's your calorie budget for dessert?

If you don't have a lot of calories to spare and want chocolate, I generally recommend Ghirardelli squares. The squares are pretty big compared to other individually wrapped chocolates, and they are typically about 50-75 calories each depending on which variety you get. It's not high end chocolate, but it can hit the spot.

If you have more calories to play with and are also looking to get some protein, I would go for one of the lower calorie/high protein ice creams. Breyers Delights chocolate is very good and is 270 calories for the entire pint. I vastly prefer it over Halo Top. I also enjoy Target's Archer Farms line of light ice creams, though those tend to run about 350 calories per pint. Enlightened brownie and cookie dough is also very good but is substantially higher in calories (400 for the pint). Or if you're not me, you could stop at less than the entire pint.

A drizzle of Hershey's syrup is also nice on these ice creams if you've got another 25-50 calories to spare. If you don't, then a drizzle of high quality balsamic vinegar is very nice on ice cream. And of course, you could get some skim milk and make shakes with your light ice cream.

If you are able to stop at less than the entire chocolate bar, or if you have someone to split the bar with, then you can do what we do and share a high quality chocolate bar with someone else. Most nicer bars are going to run 200-250 calories for half the bar; split it into quarters and enjoy it over a few evenings if you don't have that many calories.

There are also other chocolately things that I would not consider dessert, like protein shakes, protein bars, etc. My breakfast every morning is 0% Fage, chocolate PB2, chocolate protein powder, and fiber cereal mixed together. My portion is 300 calories. I typically keep Quest bars around too, and I especially enjoy the double chocolate chunk (180 calories). This things may be ways to hit your macros while also satisfying your chocolate craving.

Frontier products are also a nice way to hit your macros and get some chocolate. I especially like their triple chocolate brownie mix, which I make with just my 0% Fage and aquafaba to keep calories down and protein up. This makes the brownies very moist, dense, and fudgy, which is just how I like them.

Then there is always the option to just make regular desserts in smaller portions. I bake cookies every week, most of which I give away, but I also use a 1.5 tbsp scoop, which makes smaller cookies that are usually around 100 calories each depending on the cookie. I wouldn't do this unless you have plenty of other people to give cookies to :)
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I just made meringues: https://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/crispy-classic-meringues I doubled the recipe and got 33 of them at 31 calories each. Not much of a nutritional profile, but there's some protein in them.
  • Spadesheart
    Spadesheart Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Just buy the cheap whipped ice creams and froyo man, some of them are extraordinarily low calorie, as few as 70 per serving. These are an absolute staple in my house I'm currently eating Dutch chocolate froyo for 90 calories a half cup. Hits the spot and easy enough.

Overeating something that low calorie is actually quite difficult. Can't really have a terrible day even if you eat half the tub. Just gotta make sure your stocked with stuff like this as opposed to cake, cookies, pies, or anything else really dense when a craving hits.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,426 Member
    Options
    Whoever shared the Greek yogurt with jello cheesecake mix idea, you are my hero. What a GREAT and delicious idea!
  • wyec123
    wyec123 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Clio bar
  • MrsTitus2
    MrsTitus2 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I love eggs in a basket with honey on top.