Do boobs affect body fat %

Options
Had my body fat % done last night at my gym. I personally feel like I am in pretty good shape at 5’6” and 65kg with a bit of muscle. My body fat % came out at 28% to which my trainer said “ you will want to get that down a bit”... just wondering if anyone knows how much breasts affect bf% as I am quite lean but with an F cup. What should I be aiming for?

Replies

• Kittyy1994
    Kittyy1994 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    If you lose more body fat, you can expect to lose some there too most likely.

I wish!! Unfortunately not it’s just how I’m built 😔
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    As you probably know, body fat over 23% is considered overweight. If you body fat measurements were done using calipers, then your boobs weren't factored in. If your trainer told you to bring it down, I'd trust that he or she knows what they're talking about. If you were lean except for your boobs, he or she would see that.

Not sure where you are getting this from but standard body fat level is that obese is considered 32% in women and 25‰ in men. Average for women is considered 25-31%. 23‰ for women falls in the fitness range.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    Hm. Agree that if it was done with that machine thingy you hold onto or stand on, it could be way wrong. If it was done on that fancy scale too - it could also be very wrong.

There is one trick that PTs do (a PT told me about it!!! Said lots of PTs do it) is where you get the potential new client to stand on that fancy scale and you set it no "normal person" and it gives you a particular BF%. Then, there is a little button at the back where you select "fit person" and the BF% drops. Same stats, same person, same time. I tried it myself. I "lost" about 5% BF within 2 minutes.

Basically they tell you "you are fat you need to lose weight" and then you train with them and then at your monthly check-in (or whatever) they flip the switch and look at you - you lost a bunch of BF.

My scale at home doesn't have the switch, it only calculates "normal person" BF% (incorrectly). It tells me my BF is ~28%.

It most definitely is NOT 28% , because when I had 28% BF I was way fatter than I am now. It just counts my overall weight (which has a lot more muscle mass than when I was 28%BF). At the moment i'm hovering on around 22% (eyeball method).

My PT used to use calipers on me (not including boobs, but would measure chest) and that was more accurate than the scales.

I have also done DEXA a few times and that varied depending on whether I did it in the morning or the afternoon too - depended on how much glycogen I had in my muscles. One time I nearly had a heart attack because I was the leanest I'd ever been and the stupid machine told me I was over 20% BF - I had gone to the place in the morning, fasted. The previous time I'd gone - after work - after eating about 3 meals and working out and drinking lots of water it told me I was 19% BF - so yeah... not very accurate either.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    As you probably know, body fat over 23% is considered overweight. If you body fat measurements were done using calipers, then your boobs weren't factored in. If your trainer told you to bring it down, I'd trust that he or she knows what they're talking about. If you were lean except for your boobs, he or she would see that.

I believe you are thinking of BMI, and it is > 24.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Alternately, I assume the 'average" category is what should be average, not what is.

The body fat ranges, like the BMI range, are intended to help a person gauge their health, not where they fall compared to other people.
  • Samantha_Bolton
    Samantha_Bolton Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Kittyy1994 wrote: »
    Had my body fat % done last night at my gym. I personally feel like I am in pretty good shape at 5’6” and 65kg with a bit of muscle. My body fat % came out at 28% to which my trainer said “ you will want to get that down a bit”... just wondering if anyone knows how much breasts affect bf% as I am quite lean but with an F cup. What should I be aiming for?

im embarrassed because i have a 35.8% body fat and im not fat in the slightest i have a 22 inch waist and im 4 foot 9 but i weigh 110 pounds making me nearly overweight because of my huge boobs and huge *kitten*
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    Kittyy1994 wrote: »

im embarrassed because i have a 35.8% body fat and im not fat in the slightest i have a 22 inch waist and im 4 foot 9 but i weigh 110 pounds making me nearly overweight because of my huge boobs and huge *kitten*

This is a very old thread, probably not the best place to get feedback or advice.

First, those gym machines can be pretty inaccurate in determining body composition, no matter what your trainer says.

If you're happy with your body - as I'd assume from "I'm not fat in the slightest" in your post - don't let some arbitrary (and probably inaccurate) body fat number, or a trainer, convince you otherwise.

What you might want to do is talk with your doctor about your current fat level and body fat distribution, and get his/her input on what it implies for your long-term health, in context of your health history and genetic factors based on family health issues. I'm not implying that that feedback will necessarily be either supportive or critical, just saying that health factors and aesthetic (appearance) preferences each have a role in our thinking about what's best, and they don't necessarily always agree between the two perspectives.

Trainers are not medical experts, and appearance preferences are very personal.