How do you lose the last 10#

Seriously... i NEED SOME TIPS! I lost approximately 70lb 4 years ago and have been pretty steadily maintaining for the most part. Back to my diet again after going 8lb. past my “will NOT go over” weight. My ultimate goal has always been 130 and I can NEVER quite get there. I just can’t get these last 10 off🤯 I’m exercising, strength training (I know muscle weighs more then fat) drinking LOTS of water and staying on course with food. Small portions, no snacking, no eating late... I love the low carb way because I feel so good doing that. But HOW do I get the last 10 off?! I still have fat to lose and flab to tone up... what’s a good way to break a plateau? Something you’ve actually done!

Replies

• kkboehs
    kkboehs Posts: 3 Member
    But I’m frustrated at the numbers on the scale so I said this month I’m hiding it and just using my measuring tape... lol
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    which lifting program are you following?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited March 2019
    Patience will be key. You don't have as much wiggle room in your deficit as you used to and it can be easy to go over your goal, also water weight can mask progress (especially if you have just started a new exercise program). Many people find they have to weigh and measure accurately, everyday, consistently. Make sure you are choosing correct food entries too.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited March 2019
    How? Slowly, with inordinate amounts of patience and accuracy.

My suggestion is for at least a couple of weeks, use a food scale for every...damn...thing. It will help you re-orient your visual of what a portion looks like. Portion creep is a thing! And re-check the entries you are using in the database to make sure they are still accurate.

Using the food scale as much as possible for the duration will help, but a couple of weeks of incredibly accurate logging will often find you those 250 cals a day you need to lose the 0.5lbs per week you would expect. And that 0.5lbs per week can easily hide behind water weight fluctuations on the scale for weeks at a time. Good luck!
  • kkboehs
    kkboehs Posts: 3 Member
    Thanks for the encouragements and tips y’all! I’m not gonna give up.... amen on the patience! Also like the thought to NOT focus on that magical number on the scale. It’s such a mind thing... need to retrain my brain😬
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited March 2019
    i'm not doing any actual works out other than walking, some yoga (looking to expend this but still recovering from injuries).

I am in that last 10 lbs now (actually down to last 5 I think - i'm already beyond all my previous goals)) and have been losing around 0.5lb/week since Christmas.

I use a food scale and have been rechecking my entries and logging to ensure I am not making errors. I found errors I have corrected. no one is perfect at logging regardless of what they think.

I started logging the small stuff I had been ignoring like gym.

but the biggest thing is it's a long game. in a given week the scale can say I've gone UP 1-2lbs. regularly. but then the next week it'll show that progress again and week three I see the .5 or .75lb loss. but when I look at the day to day numbers it's pretty depressing. normal fluctuations mask all the progress for weeks at a time until finally woosh it shows on the scale permanently. It's ONLY when I look at the numbers and trend over 3-4 weeks that I actually SEE any difference.
  • sunscoutie
    sunscoutie Posts: 34 Member
    I recently went through a bout of not being able to get to the gym....for 2 weeks. I seriously started seeing a change with that rest time. The scale went down 2lbs.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    sunscoutie wrote: »
    I recently went through a bout of not being able to get to the gym....for 2 weeks. I seriously started seeing a change with that rest time. The scale went down 2lbs.

When you stop working out it's not uncommon to lose the water weight your muscles were holding onto. If I stop lifting I lose 2-3lbs. When I start up again I gain it right back.
  • kytdkyt
    kytdkyt Posts: 16 Member
    edited March 2019
    Muscle does NOT weigh more than fat. 1 pound of muscle and 1 pound of fat weigh the same: 1 pound. Muscle is denser than fat, though so it takes up less space. Therefore you look thinner with 140 pounds that is mostly muscle vs 140 pounds that is made up of more fat. The key to "firming up the flab" is to lose those last 10 pounds slowly (so you burn mostly fat), up your protein to at least 1 gram per pound of body weight, and do more strength training with progressively heavier weights to build muscle as you lose fat.