Trail running...in MUD...?

Options
I’m about crying. We’ve had so much rain the past year that the trails are muddy creeks. When it was cold enough, I could run them, but now...?
Is there any way I can make trail running work in these conditions? Anyone have ideas? Otherwise it looks like I’ll be waiting a really long time. :(

Replies

• AndreaMarie1236
    AndreaMarie1236 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I do mud runs all the time just make sure you have trail shoes or you’ll be sliding all over
  • wanderingarcher
    wanderingarcher Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    It’s hard for me to imagine not sliding around everywhere. Do you just learn to compensate?

@AndreaMarie1236 What shoes do you recommend? I have Xero shoes. They work for hiking but not well for trail running, even on a good day, so I’ve been using my regular running shoes. 😬
  • Wen2Run
    Wen2Run Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I like the inov8 mudclaws. 8mm studs, designed for fell running.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    run somewhere less muddy?
  • CharlieCharlie007
    CharlieCharlie007 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Oh. I though this was about running in mud on purpose. It is a *kitten* either way.
  • keithwp99
    keithwp99 Posts: 83 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Yes. Same out here!

1.) As already noted, have the right shoes and socks. I've have HokaOneOne Torrent and Mudgear socks.

2.) Yes. You should accomodate your pace, stride length and cadence. But, that is part of trail running anyway.
    Slow down and figure out what works best for you and the conditions of the trail.

3.) Run thru the mud and puddles. Embrace them. Don't try to run around or over them. That is a recipe for twisted knees and or ankles.

• wanderingarcher
    Options
    This is sounding more and more appealing. Can’t wait!
    And what’s with censoring the Hoka OneOne? Lol
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I just ran a trail race in calf deep mud! It's a great workout, just make sure you bring something to cover your car seats if you have to drive home!

I like my Salomon Speedcross 4's for mud. They have big rubbery lugs on the bottom and lots of grip.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    A second vote for Solomon.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Saucony Peregrines have good luggy soles but they're not waterproof.
  • wanderingarcher
    Options
    I was so excited to go out today. I made it about 1000 feet. The combination of snow, slush, ice, mud, and small ponds—in 30 degree weather—I just don’t have the gear for that. I decided I’d better not risk being too cold with soaking wet legs in the middle of the woods today.
    It will get warmer though...😏
  • keithwp99
    keithwp99 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I was so excited to go out today. I made it about 1000 feet. The combination of snow, slush, ice, mud, and small ponds—in 30 degree weather—I just don’t have the gear for that. I decided I’d better not risk being too cold with soaking wet legs in the middle of the woods today.
    It will get warmer though...😏

Yep. Learning what gear is needed only comes with experience and commitment. Better safe than risk serious injury (or worse).
  • wanderingarcher
    Options
    Now THAT WAS FUN!!!!