Emotional Eating

Does anybody else dealing with mental issues have this problem? You see talk about those with depression starving themselves but I've talked with my doctor about it and it's also very common for depressed people to binge eat, myself included.

There are parts of the digestive tract that release seratonin so it does make you feel better temporarily, but we tend to exhaust that and eat more and more to try to get the same effect.

I'm on medication currently so it's not been as much of an issue but I worry a lot how it'll be when I go off it. I don't want to pick up those mindless habits again. I was just curious if anyone else had dealt with this and if they had suggestions for alternative mood boosters.

I've been treating myself after bad days with non-food items (a trip to redbox, new nail polish, etc) but I would like more ideas!

Replies

• puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    I am an emotional eater. Things that help me:
    • Pre-logging my food for the day
    • Planning my meals for the week during the weekend so I generally know what to expect
    • Leave room for small treats
    • Don't keep highly tempting snacks in my office
    • Manage my anxiety - clean, use checklists, track my mood in a planner, etc.
    • Keep my hands busy - crochet, sew, etc.
    • Ask myself if I am actually hungry or just eating my feelings and then (the HARDEST part) actually care about the answer
    • Meditation
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    Actually caring about the answer is the hardest part for me.
  • kmblalock2016
    kmblalock2016 Posts: 15 Member
    The struggle is real! I have the opposite problem! when Im struggling I dont eat, shower, or care for myself, and think about suicide and running away!
    What I find helps is remembering I’m loved even though it’s hard to believe! I’m not alone! It will be okay! Tomorrow is another day!
    luckily my husband is an awesome listener!
    we vowed to never leave the other one to care for the kids alone! this meant so much to me since my father died when I was young!
    LONG STORY SHORT don’t be afraid of judgment! talk to someone! and celebrate when you succeed!
  • twdlove89
    twdlove89 Posts: 95 Member
    I’m the same, Ive suffered with my mental health for many years so I’m on medication to cope. I’ve struggled big time with emotionally eating, especially at work when I do a sleep shift and everyone has gone and my guys are in bedtime and I can chill out I end up eating everything.
    When I’ve been good I have a look around the local charity shops or I buy myself something new. We are going on a family holiday in September so every week if I’ve been good I’m gonna buy myself something nice for the holiday.
    I always try to buy myself something that makes me feel good x
  • angelanclark
    angelanclark Posts: 1 Member
    I also suffer from this type of problem. I eat in my sleep. It's very hard to change a habit that happens when I'm not conscious of my behaviors. I live in someone else's home right now and it's gotten a whole lot worse. The only way I've been able to manage it my entire life is by NOT keeping food in the house that would tempt me. I only buy and keep "meal food" that requires preparation or is not tempting in the night (such as leftovers). Sweets are awful. If I know they are there, I won't sleep a wink. Going to a therapist on Monday. Hoping for some new ideas. I've tried everything from putting furniture in front of my door to installing a key lock (backward) on my bedroom door. Frustrated!
  • laceygaywilson
    laceygaywilson Posts: 330 Member
    Y'all this struggle is real....I found for me....it all started with my friends and family when I was a kid. Once I found where the issue started I had more control over my eating. For me....when they called me fat I wanted to eat more....haha I'll show em. Then it just became habit!! Now I am over coming the scale and my mind for the third time!!! I've lost over 100lbs 3 times now!!! The yo yo was having babies haha follow my discussion battle with the scale!!! Add me as a friend!! We can all do this together!!! Food addiction whether emotional addiction or not is so hard to break we still must eat. Log all your calories. Keep gum around. Also busy work for your hands....coloring books are a good go to!! Puzzles anything to make you think instead of eat!!! Keep your mind and hands busy!!! 14 days of keeping a new habit and the old ones will fade!!!