Stress Eating!!! Finding calm without food!

Options
Stress sends me to the fridge! Or to the pantry! Or to Chick-fil-a.... for a milkshake 😬!!

I used to run to manage the stress but I can’t anymore so am looking for ideas to maintain calm so I can start to lose weight again!

Replies

• Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I can't run due to an injury but I can walk. Getting outside for a little while helps me with stress
  • Reyhanaaa
    Reyhanaaa Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am trying meditation - just a few minutes of slow inhaling and exhaling can be done anywhere and helps regain perspective if the situation.

Also, have chopped carrots/cucumber or grapes/nuts/apples to hand for stress eating without all the calories.

Another option - tea genuinely calms people and taking a moment to make it gives you a break from work and a moment to relax.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,472 Member
    Options
    Sit down in a quiet place. Preferably not near the kitchen. No electronics, books, music, nothing. Just sit down a few minutes.
  • guil0095
    guil0095 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I agree with previous poster, shut down everything, and just breathe. Afterwards, have a cup of hot tea / cold water.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    When I was injured and couldn't run I got a bird feeder and put it outside a window. When weather allowed, I sat outside and watched birds, when not, I watched them through the window.

Music also helps. Anything you enjoy can help - I started doing my fingernails silly colors whenever I needed a boost.
  • intrigame23
    intrigame23 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    All great ideas! Thank you.
  • InsertFunnyUsernameHere
    Options
    Honestly logging every calorie is generally a deterrence to stress eating. If you really MUST satisfy a craving, go ahead. It won't be the end of the world. Log it and a couple of days later, offset it with some cardio or increase your calorie deficit for one day to make up for it.

Walking works just as well as running for burning calories... it just takes longer.
  • ravengirl2014
    ravengirl2014 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone! This technique has been a miracle for me personally. Please just give it a shot and see if it works for you! https://www.livestrong.com/article/74944-b
  • Kippie44
    Kippie44 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Food can be my fix to everything. Stress. Happiness. Sadness. Anger. So believe me I get it!! Or else I wouldn’t be on my fitness pal trying to get it all off. Haha. I find if I mess up and stress eat once in a day not to beat myself up over it. It stresses you out more then! Just log what you eat, say F it and move on keeping track the rest of your day. Take the stress of stress eating off your shoulders! Helps a little at least 😉
  • purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I typically do movement-based stuff (run, walk my dog, lift with friends, clean like a fiend to music) and right now am post-operation for a complex hamstring thing and have a torn rhomboid- so I’m being challenged to find other healthy ways to self-soothe, find satisfaction, and access the feel-goods I typically get from movement and stay outta the boredom//stress/frustration eating.

What’s helping:
    -Mindfulness based meditation (I use a pain-management specific ap)
    -Journaling
    -crying when I need to: it’s release and it’s ok!
    -staying connected to the people I love via calls, texts, visits
    -getting really present whenever I can and trying to look at the challenges of being immobile/on crutches/etc as a game to teach me new ways of doing things - I find approaching challenges as a ‘fun puzzle to solve’ helps me in most situations
    -lots of hot tea, bone broth, stuff that feels healing and nourishing
  • Kimmotion5783
    Kimmotion5783 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone! This technique has been a miracle for me personally. Please just give it a shot and see if it works for you! https://www.livestrong.com/article/74944-b

Yes! I do this breathing/meditative technique as well when I'm in stressful situations and it does work.
  • Kimmotion5783
    Kimmotion5783 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Some things I do to relieve stress (that don't involve food):

1.) Journaling
    2.) Walking
    3.) Coloring
    4.) Workout
    5.) Planet Fitness massages!
    6.) Listening to old records
    7.) Venting to a friend or family member. Sometimes its just good to talk it out, and that person can help you put it all into perspective/positive light.
    8.) Practicing gratitude! When you find yourself stressed about something, quickly name 5 things that you are grateful for. This actually works! I do it every single day, every time I find myself either thinking negatively or stressed about something.
    9.) Watch a movie
    10.) Read a book
    11.) Go to a program at your local library
    12.) Watch relaxing videos on YouTube. There's a lovely Chinese woman who posts the most relaxing videos. I'm not sure what her name is since everything is in Chinese, but her videos are a sheer delight: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoC47do520os_4DBMEFGg4A
    13.) Praying. If you are a spiritual person, the power of prayer can be very effective.
    14.) Meditation. There are some wonderful guided meditation videos on YouTube. I recommend TheHonestGuys.
    15.) Visit a public park
    16.) Spend time in nature, very effective in my book.
    17.) Yoga
    18.) Play with a pet
    19.) Gardening
    20.) Cleaning
    21.) "At-home spa": give yourself a manicure/pedicure!
    22.) Dance to your favorite music
    23.) Look into different hobbies to try
    24.) Try a craft
    25.) Creative writing. Google "writing exercises", pick one and write something.
  • smms0714
    smms0714 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Meditation really helped me.