Really resistant partner...

Options

Replies

• starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    ropes, handcuffs, maybe some duct tape - those should help. ;)
  • ibunnie
    ibunnie Posts: 14
    Options
    Hey there,

I agree with the others that you should give him some space. The best gift my thin husband ever gave me, and continues giving me, is his love. Even when I outweighed him by almost 100 lbs! He never made comments about what I ate, never asked me to lose weight, and constantly told me and everyone else how beautiful I am.

I see that you've lost some weight, and one thing that occurs to me is that, once we "get it," it's really hard not to try to bring others along for the ride. We see it as fun and encouraging; they see it as nagging. Took me a long time to understand that we have to let God work as uniquely in others as He works in ourselves. Your BF just might not be ready for the ride.

Finally, a practical tip. My husband and I most often eat the same things. Maybe entering the common foods you eat, then making them available for him will help lessen his frustration.
  • fyfi_fendir
    fyfi_fendir Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me he is not really motivated yet. There is a point that we reach where we would do anything to loose weight and he is not there yet and you cannot force him. Which is why you will hear excuses after excuses. "doesn't work for me", "want to spend time with you" "too complicated to track food".
    My advice, give him the benefit of the doubt (for a while). Exercise together so he doesn't have excuses and fill the diary together. If he comes up with new excuses, just let it go. It means he has more internal work to do before he can change the external. It is his own journey and you cannot make it for him.

Good luck!
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I would not be the one entering in food for someone else. It's his life, and if he's not accountable, he's never going to stick with it.
    Yeah, he wants a girlfriend, not a mother. Or does he? What else are you doing for him that he should be doing for himself? hmmmm.......
  • CaseyDiane
    Options
    I have asked my husband for help several times and he is awful at helping me with what I need which is support to eat the way I know I should. If you don't make him desserts [this is what my husband does...I was on track all day yesterday and then last night he made FRESH strawberry short cake....UGGG] and just feed him healthy meals and then ask him to go on long romantic walks and drink lots of water...without constantly talking to him about his request, the weight should just slide off as long as he is not eating really poorly throughout the day. Good luck.

Oh by the way being fat and wanting to change it but not the tools or people who understand or are supportive is really hard and frustrating and can make you feel really poorly about yourself. I am not saying you do this but for me I am constantly in a battle with myself everyday over everything.
  • superflashphoto
    superflashphoto Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the posts, everyone. You're all right and I should just back off of him, and just let him work it out for himself. I guess it's just bugging me because he put ME in charge of this. I keep telling him that he needs to want to do it for HIM, but he keeps telling me that he wants to do it for ME, so that we can grow old together and live a happy & healthy life...

But for now, I'll just back off and do my own thing... and if he DOES write down what he eats in a notebook, I'll track it for him (he does have an account on here, and he was using it for a while, but he gave up on it pretty fast.).
  • racerchick48
    racerchick48 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I think he is aware and wanting to make changes, but he needs to make the decision to put the effort in. All of us on here have made that decision, and while quite a few of us (myself included) have a long ways to go, I remember that the first couple weeks were the absolute hardest. I still get frustrated with the 200 choices for chicken, but I've learned that it's only a small issue, compared to all the benefits I get from this site and the app. Like someone else said, though, this site may not work for everyone. If he's willing to write down what he eats, that is a great start, but he has to find a way to hold himself accountable. Maybe, for example, if he is eating something he could start measuring his portions or also writing down the calorie content of what he's eating? That way he can educate himself, not just eat whatever, have you put it in MAP and then be wondering why his calories are high or whatever.

Keep inviting him to the gym, and try to find other activities you both enjoy. My hubby is a lot more likely to come swimming or for a bike ride with me, rather than getting up to hit the gym with me. In his mind, that kind of stuff isn't so much exercise because it's fun for us. But like other people have said, don't nag him, and when he does something that's good for him, offer some encouragement. And keep doing what you're doing, with working out and cooking good meals. Hopefully he will jump on board soon!
  • superflashphoto
    Options
    ropes, handcuffs, maybe some duct tape - those should help. ;)

Hahaha... I think I may have tried this approach already ;)
  • superflashphoto
    Options
    I would not be the one entering in food for someone else. It's his life, and if he's not accountable, he's never going to stick with it.
    Yeah, he wants a girlfriend, not a mother. Or does he? What else are you doing for him that he should be doing for himself? hmmmm.......

Haha, Oh man, trust me, he does more for me than I do for him... He makes my coffee & lunch for me every day, does all the laundry and the cleaning while I'm at work (FYI, he's actually from the USA, living with me in Canada, so he can't work... so he's at home doing all the housework while I'm at work)... so, no, I'm definitely not a mother to him ;)
  • superflashphoto
    Options
    Hey there,

I agree with the others that you should give him some space. The best gift my thin husband ever gave me, and continues giving me, is his love. Even when I outweighed him by almost 100 lbs! He never made comments about what I ate, never asked me to lose weight, and constantly told me and everyone else how beautiful I am.

I see that you've lost some weight, and one thing that occurs to me is that, once we "get it," it's really hard not to try to bring others along for the ride. We see it as fun and encouraging; they see it as nagging. Took me a long time to understand that we have to let God work as uniquely in others as He works in ourselves. Your BF just might not be ready for the ride.

Finally, a practical tip. My husband and I most often eat the same things. Maybe entering the common foods you eat, then making them available for him will help lessen his frustration.

This was really helpful - thank you!
    We do, more often than not, eat the same food, so what I've done on some nights is just entered the recipe on my account, and let him copy and paste the nutritional info onto his account so that he didn't have to enter the entire recipe again.

I think I will just encourage him by loving him and let that be it :)
  • anulle2009
    anulle2009 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    all you can do it try to help. but i think we all know each one of use has to make the choice to be healthier no one can do it for someone. just one question though... Why cant you guys work out when you get home together and spend time that way? or do you get home way to late?
  • superflashphoto
    Options
    I have asked my husband for help several times and he is awful at helping me with what I need which is support to eat the way I know I should. If you don't make him desserts [this is what my husband does...I was on track all day yesterday and then last night he made FRESH strawberry short cake....UGGG] and just feed him healthy meals and then ask him to go on long romantic walks and drink lots of water...without constantly talking to him about his request, the weight should just slide off as long as he is not eating really poorly throughout the day. Good luck.

Oh by the way being fat and wanting to change it but not the tools or people who understand or are supportive is really hard and frustrating and can make you feel really poorly about yourself. I am not saying you do this but for me I am constantly in a battle with myself everyday over everything.

Haha - thanks! I know how this goes! I really love baking, but I've resisted baking anything since he's been here (I did make blueberry muffins one Sunday morning, but they were low-calorie, I swear!)
    We've been going for walks when the weather is nice enough and I get out of work early enough. And he tells me he's been drinking lots of water (sometimes with Crystal Light, but I guess that's better than pop!)

FTR, I don't make comments directly about his weight, but when we weigh in on the WiiFit in the morning, I always say "Good Job, Babe!" or something similar if he loses any amount.
  • superflashphoto
    Options
    all you can do it try to help. but i think we all know each one of use has to make the choice to be healthier no one can do it for someone. just one question though... Why cant you guys work out when you get home together and spend time that way? or do you get home way to late?

I do get home pretty late, though it's been starting to even itself out a bit. Some days last week, I was getting home as late as 9-9:30pm, and my gym closes at 10. This week, I'm starting to get out of work around 6 (not as busy) and getting home around 7... so we'll start going to the gym again, I think.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I guess it's just bugging me because he put ME in charge of this. I keep telling him that he needs to want to do it for HIM, but he keeps telling me that he wants to do it for ME, so that we can grow old together and live a happy & healthy life...
    Be supportive, make sure there's only diet pop or pop zero in the fridge (cos he's not gonna give it up unless he want to) and try avoid having comfort-eating, snack foods in the house. And take him out for long romantic walks or suggest getting bicycles and go bike riding at the weekend!

Only your b/f can decide when it's timefor him to accept to change and adopt a balanced diet and exercise plan. But don't let him blame YOU for his failure, esp if he's putting you under pressure for his own lack of will-power, which is what it sounds here (although I could be completely wrong).
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Other than what everyone else has said: He'll get there when he gets there and he'll do it when he's ready, here's my thought.

If you were to prepare meals for him to take to work, enter his food days AHEAD of time for him... this way you can help him... but this will only work if he's up for it. If he doesn't want to do this for him, he's going to throw the food out that you prepare and eat whatever he wants anyway...

So, when he sees your progress he may start taking notice and saying: "hmmm... it's working for her, I'd like to be there with her" and he'll catch up!
  • mikeyml
    mikeyml Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    @Mom2rh

I know, I've thought about that too - but he's ASKED me to do this for him. He wants to lose weight, but he doesn't know how to do it. He was really upset because he had been living at home and trying to eat better, but his dad was always sabotaging him, bringing in high fat/high caloric foods... so I've tried to cut these types foods completely out of my cupboards, and introduce him to fresh foods and such...

I've never *really* struggled with weight (I'm 5'3 and I've been in the 110-125 range since high school), so I don't really understand what it feels like to him.

I guess that's more what I need advice on - how to motivate him without nagging. I completely accept him as he is, and I'm totally in love with him... but since he's entrusted me with helping him to lose weight, I need to know how to do this in a supportive way.

I think that this post tells a lot about your situation. It sounds to me like he's had unhealthy eating habits for most of his life and he is just uneducated about nutrition in general. The good news is it sounds like he wants to learn about it. The important thing to keep in mind is that it's going to take a long time to relearn how / what to eat and most of the changes will come gradually. The first step is for him to realize what he's eating on a regular basis. I think it's great that he wants to keep a handwritten journal by himself. He doesn't need to use MFP to be successful.

My suggestion to you would be to help educate him when he has questions. If he has questions then he is willing to learn about it and that's a great sign. Let him read some of the sticky threads on the forums here and maybe even some blogs about how the body uses different macronutrients. Explain the benefits of strength training v. cardio when he is ready to workout and offer to go to the gym with him when he is ready to go. It might take months to get to that point, but it will happen if he wants to make a change. I don't think any of that would be considered "nagging;" I think it's incredibly supportive and loving.

I know when I first started here in January there were certain foods I wasn't ready to give up and that I had to make the changes really slowly. I'm still improving parts of my diet and my workout routine to find the perfect balance. Over time I think he will do the same if he is seriously unhappy with his body.

One last note, I would not log the food for him on here. I would just let him write it down and keep track of it himself. He doesn't even have to worry about calories or other data at first, just a list of what he ate and what times he ate it. After a few days or even a week I think he will get curious about what's actually in the food he's eating. He might seek out MFP himself just to make it easier. If he does, use the items he's written down to practice how to search for items in the database so it removes some of the confusion for him. If he sees what to do with practice food items, then it might make more sense to him.

Hope that helps. Good luck!
  • superflashphoto
    Options
    @mikeyml

Thank you so much for this, this was really helpful!
    I think you're right that he picked up a lot of bad habits through his life, and it will take a long time to re-educate him, but you're right in that he is willing to learn.

This was a really informative post, and helps me to see things from a different perspective. I come from an Italian background, and I grew up with a lot of whole foods and grains, and a lot less cardboard boxes and fast food - so I think also taking him up to my parents' house for dinner will help him realize that better tasting food actually DOES come from the earth and not from a box. It just may take a little while longer to do this! :)
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I do get home pretty late, though it's been starting to even itself out a bit. Some days last week, I was getting home as late as 9-9:30pm, and my gym closes at 10. This week, I'm starting to get out of work around 6 (not as busy) and getting home around 7... so we'll start going to the gym again, I think.

Can you go in the morning by chance? If he's at home while you're at work starting out the day right for a lot of folks goes a long way towards keeping on that track for the rest of the day.
  • superflashphoto
    Options

Can you go in the morning by chance? If he's at home while you're at work starting out the day right for a lot of folks goes a long way towards keeping on that track for the rest of the day.

I can definitely try it, but I'm not sure that it'll work. I am SO not a morning person, and neither is he... so when my alarm goes off at 6:51am to get ready for work, it generally takes me a half hour to actually get out of bed, and him even longer.
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I would start with one change at a time. Cutting out pop was a great start.

My husband didn't eat fruit or veggies before and was a (and still is a little of a ) carb junkie. He tried logging but found it annoying but still logs his weight loss progress on here. At first I was on him when he ate over his calorie limit by big amounts but then I found it worked better to just get him to eat better foods. I do most of the cooking so dinner is almost always healthy. He eats cereal or eggs in the morning with fruit. He takes lots of veggies and fruit to work with him. He essentially started doing this when I told him I would back off of how much he ate as long as he made mostly good choices, so he did. Sometimes he only loses 1 lb in a month but its still something, and the quality of food and nutrients he gets now is better. I was still concerned about his carbs cause he was eating 2 sandwhiches at lunch and 2 sandwhiches at night. He now eats one sandwhich at night and I make a big pot of homemade soup each week to freeze for him, so he now takes one sandwhich and a soup with him for work, and ofcourse all his fruits and veggies as snacks. He now uses sweetener instead of sugar in his coffee. He eats whole wheat instead of white bread (that was the biggest fight lol) and drinks skim milk.

He still sometimes eats the tub of icecream once in a while, but he doesn't eat nearly as bad as he used to.

He doesn't really exercise either, so often I will drag hiim around town walking, whether we are shopping or just enjoying the sunshine while I snap pictures away with my camera.

Sorry this was so longwinded, but my point is that little changes will slowly become habit, then you can move on to the next thing.