Does gaining muscle have this negative effect I had with fat?

Options
I used to be 60lbs heavier, One of the hardest things for me, when I was fat, was in the summer I'd be standing with a beetroot red face and sweating just doing nothing let alone trying to do manual work in non air-conditioned buildings.

I lost 60lbs and it went the opposite road, in winter constantly freezing presumably because I lost 60lbs of insulation.

I am trying to gain muscle but I am curious if it will have the same negative effect fat did in the summer months?

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Maybe.

My body sweats less now at 6'3" #240 with 15%BF less than I can ever remember but I have really nothing to compare that to as I really never carried much fat.

Personally I rather sweat a ton and have less health risks. Well as long as I could be warm and shirtless. I can't stand sweaty shirts.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I actually get hot or cold depending on whether I am eating in a caloric deficit or a caloric surplus, and not so much whether I have excessive body fat or not.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    dave_in_ni wrote: »
    I used to be 60lbs heavier, One of the hardest things for me, when I was fat, was in the summer I'd be standing with a beetroot red face and sweating just doing nothing let alone trying to do manual work in non air-conditioned buildings.

I lost 60lbs and it went the opposite road, in winter constantly freezing presumably because I lost 60lbs of insulation.

I am trying to gain muscle but I am curious if it will have the same negative effect fat did in the summer months?
    I suspect it's more an issue with losing fat rather than gaining muscle. I know a number of people who aren't especially muscular but are very skinny and they tend to be cold.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,267 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I'm not sure how to answer this.

When I lost weight kind of fast years back, I found myself cold after.

When I lost weight more moderately this time (but to the same ending weight), with more exercise along the way, I found myself not nearly so inclined to be cold.

So, I wonder if the effect is partly insulation reduction, and partly adaptive thermogenesis, more or less of either in particular individual cases.

Adding muscle will be kind of slow (compared to the ease of adding fat), and I think the muscle has more nerves/blood vessels suffusing it more densely (though I'm not a physiology expert). If that's so, I don't think the muscle would have as much insulating effect. But if the issue is more about adaptive thermogenesis, then adding muscle might counter that somewhat, if you're taking pains to fuel the hypertrophy appropriately, which might mean being inherently a little warmer (but not because of weather).

Just thinking out loud . . . well, in print.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    Dude here and definitely colder at 175 than at 210. Still have the propensity to sweat buckets during hard workout now than when packing an extra 35.
  • Tic78
    Tic78 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    How hot can it be in NI? 😆 freezing here in Scotland esp during a cut
  • msurkus
    msurkus Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    In my experience putting on muscle will make you sweat more like a mad man.