Help! Need advice!

Options
Hi there,

I am relatively new to this and have never dieted in my life, but I have put on weight over the last few years and want to look better in a bikini! I am 5'5", and I weigh 9 stone 4lb which I think equates to around 130lb? I'm not 100% sure. I want to get down to dead on 9stone but no matter how much i do, my weight never changes. I am a size 8-10 (UK) on top with small boobs and a flat tummy then my butt, hips and thighs are enourmous!

I am not overweight and have a healthy BMI but I am not toned! I run, I go spinning, swimming and various other group exercise classes but nothing changes.

I tend to keep within / just under my 1200 calorie goal, but I must confess I don't eat the best foods, especially at weekends. I binge on a take away and chocolate on Friday nights! Is this where I'm going wrong, or do I just need to do more exercise? I love my food and I don't want to feel like I'm on a diet, or I can't have this or musn't eat that....

help :(

Replies

• Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Looks like you are doing a lot of cardio, which is good, but it may be to your advantage to try incorporating some weight training into your routine
    If you want to tone and shape, that may be the best way to do it.

And yes, the quality of your diet can, and will effect the way your body organizes its resources
  • dianediaz
    dianediaz Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hi there - Well, first of all I think you've come to the right place on Myfitnesspal. So you're off to a good start.

I would say that it sounds like you really need the right combination of diet (not being on a diet but what your diet consists of) and exercise. I recommend trying, as much as possible, to look at this entire thing as a lifestyle versus a diet. I have found as I've gotten older (I'm 45) that it's really about being consistent most of the time with what I eat, how much I eat and how much I exercise. So, first things first, try to have the mindset of this is how you will live your life because in the end it will make you look better and healthier which will then just make you feel better about yourself, which is really the goal.

With all of that said, the kinds of foods you eat really do play a huge part in how you are able to burn fat and calories. I eat a ton of food, but normally stay within my calorie goal of around 1,200 calories a day. I don't normally eat processed foods and I never, maybe twice a year only, eat fast food. But this allows me to eat a lot more frequently and more food which keeps my metabolism and blood sugar pretty consistent, which keeps me from bingeing. So give that a try and see how you do.

Also, as long as you have your MFP set to lose weight, when you exercise you should be sure to eat back the calories that you burn. If you don't eat enough you can signal to your body to conserve fuel because it thinks no more calories are coming and then that's where you can't shed the pounds.

And one more tip, I eat most of my calories early in the day and less toward the end of the day. This keeps my metabolism burning calories throughout the day and as I wind down in the evening the calorie consumption also declines.

I hope this helps. Good luck! I know it's hard but if you stick with the plan it becomes a habit and you're on your way!
    Di
  • geraldm55
    geraldm55 Posts: 130
    Options
    sounds like you're doing what you need to do, and I'm also not a fan of giving up what I enjoy just for a diet. although in my case I have had to reduce the amounts.

have you tried exercising in a way to isolate the parts you want to tone and really blast them? eg. leg press, leg curls, squats, hip abjuction etc. the other thing is try something like tae bo.

you're already in such good shape you need to really blast the area because you have to take that area out of its comfort zone.

sounds like your doing amazing keep it up!!!

if I can help feel free to add me to your friends list other wise keep up the great work!!
  • sbeasty1
    Options
    thanks all. brilliant advice. I will try to target my exercise a little more - i.e. a bit more toning and weights. I think there is a key point made in that i tend to eat most of my calories in the evening. im not a fan of breakfast and am limited what i can eat for lunch as i work in an office so its normally a sandwich. i tend to eat my main meal around 6pm with my partner as it fits into our life style. i have a friend who is now my exercise buddy and she is helping to keep me motivated but its great to be able to talk to people on here who understand! im new to this and don't know how to add friends, but please feel free to add me if you wish to offer me more encouragement!

well done to all of you - your posts are an inspiration and you should all be proud oif your commitment!