How to loose the weihht and gain muscle effectively?

Options
Hey everyone!
I'm in need of some advice. Long story short, I've never tried to lose weight while gaining muscle mass and definition, I have always been slim in the past and so was doing the opposite really.
When I say lose weight, I'm talking about roughly 40pounds give or take. Really depending on body shape and how I feel more than a number on the scales.
Anyways, I'm looking for info on macros, i.e. What kind of ratio should I be trying to hit. Also how much of a deficit should I be taking my calorie intake to.
Finally, I was much more prone to doing weights in the past but with me looking to lose so much weight, wondering how much time I really ought to be spending on cardio, and basically looking for any advice on getting that balance right.
A lot of questions I know haha, sorry guys. I do think though that it is an interesting topic for anyone losing weight regardless, as lifting regularly on a weight loss loss journey is a great way to reduce loose skin and also improve strength.
Anyways guys, hope some of you can help.
Thanks in advance. ☺️

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Definition when you have 40lbs to lose will come from you losing your surplus fat.

Macros matter for health and can help adherence but it's your calorie balance that determines weight loss. A higher than average protein intake is sensible in a calorie deficit and also if you are exercising hard. Macro ratios are very restrictive for no good reason, minimums for protein and fat is more flexible. My suggestion would be 1g per pound of estimated lean mass for protein and 0.4g per pound of bodyweight - the rest of your calorie allowance can come from whatever suits you.

Neither weights or cardio are for weight loss but a blend of both is great for health, fitness, strength and looking the best version of you possible when you get to goal. They should be goals for life and not just for this weight loss phase. Hope you realise the daily calorie goal you get is for a non-exercise day only?

Building muscle for a female is slow, building muscle in a deficit is really hard unless you are a complete beginner or returning after a break. But it's a great aim even though the actual results may simply be retaining the most muscle you can while in a deficit or adding a tiny amount. A large calorie deficit will most likely wipe out any chance of gaining muscle mass.

Lifting weights exercises your muscle and not your skin. Your experience with loose skin will be down to genetics, how overweight you got, your age and time - it can still improve for up to 2 years.

• Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Lift weights in a progressive training schedule. Prioritize protein, to spare your body from utilizing muscles as fuel. Maintain a smallish deficit. Get a lot of sleep.

It takes a long time, but it works. I’ve lost a little less than 10 lbs in a year, but I’m significantly stronger than I was. You might lose a bit more quickly than I did, but my goal is only to lose another 10 lbs or so, and I’m kind of ok taking anouther year to do so. YMMV, of course.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    I have always been taught that you are either A) GAINING muscle OR B) Losing weight. There is no really effective way to do both.

f61gbo3p92uk.jpg

I disagree. It's called recomp. ^^^ These photos were taken almost exactly 2 months apart (Jan 13 & Mar 15). And I'm definitely not a newbie. It is slower and more precise than bulk/cut cycles, but let's not say "there is no really effective way to do both."