What to do when you blow your calorie budget

Options
heyspearsy
heyspearsy Posts: 30 Member
Hi everyone,

Interested in your opinions. I currently have my calories set near, or ever-so-slightly above, my maintenance levels. I adjust every month based on weight results.

The past 3-4 days I've found myself eating and drinking well above my budget. Think 1-2000 above.

How should I handle moving forward? Some options are a) to stay the course and carry on, b) have a few days of deficit to balance out, etc. I'm pretty comfortable just shrugging and moving on, but am interested in what others have found worked for them.

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I would also go with option A.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    What is your goal--Bulk? Recomp? Maintain?
  • JohnnytotheB
    JohnnytotheB Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I personally think you move forward. In my opinion you will have days like this, it happens. Get back on track and forget it ever happened. It probably won't have any effect on your overall numbers in the short term.
  • rfajitas12345
    rfajitas12345 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    What is your goal--Bulk? Recomp? Maintain?

Totally agree, it depends on your goal.
  • stricklee11
    stricklee11 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    2 weeks ago, I completely blew my calorie budget by 2,500+ on the weekend and went over my daily limit by 150+ 3 out of 5 weekdays. What I did (which is a very UNPOPULAR opinion on here) is eat as if I was trying to lose 1.5 lbs a week rather than 1. I did that for about a week and a half helping me get back on track as far as weight loss goal for the month. This is pretty much like your option B. Just don't over restrict and consume too little calories.
  • Tammyrae99
    Tammyrae99 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Nothing. Move on to the next day & hit it this time.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    I think it is best to just move on and get back to your original goal. Trying to restrict to make up for it is not only going to encourage unhealthy habits, but it's also going to keep your mind focused on the binges. Today is a new day and you don't need to think about them any more.
  • heyspearsy
    heyspearsy Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. Today is a new day, indeed!

It also makes sense to think about weekly goals provided it isn't causing too much duress.
  • msurkus
    msurkus Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Everyone has days like these just get back on track.
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    I always eat intuitively after a weekend (or week) of freedom. Usually if i've been giving myself foods I wouldn't normally eat, I start by just getting back to a normal daily intake, and then adding in things my body is asking for (which is usually veggies). I think everyone would agree that over-restricting afterwards is a bad idea, but I have done things like exercised 5 days the next week instead of 3, increased my step goal for the next week by a little bit, drank a couple extra bottles of water each day, added veggies to all meals instead of just lunch and dinner. THings like this seem to just make me personally FEEL better from food hangovers.