Healing process

Options
imxnianne
imxnianne Posts: 216 Member
Hi guys! How long does it take to heal the teres major? I strained it I think when I was moving furniture. It’s been a week almost. Doctor said just put heating patches on it. She gave me muscle relaxers but nothing else honestly. I tried going gym, after a week from the incident. Not to lift, but light cardio. I was going crazy not going to gym. It’s my happiness. Thanks in advance

Replies

• TravisJHunt
    TravisJHunt Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Ouch, sounds painful. Strains are always tough to determine how long as depending on severity they can take longer. Hope you feel better soon.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Did your Dr tell you not to lift? If so why?

• imxnianne
    imxnianne Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    A doctor didn’t really check anything except my breathing. It’s kind of *kitten* on why they would do that but it is really painful. I did light cardio yesterday but today it’s stiff and painful. The muscle relaxer killed me last night and I was itchy from it. Maybe I had an allergic reaction or maybe it was from playing with the dogs too much.

I curious on how long it would take? I’m assuming weeks but will the pain be this hurtful for weeks?
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Most doctors will tell you four to six weeks, but it depends on a lot of factors, age, health, how serious the injury is, etc. The best you can do is ice if you're within a one or two day window of when the injury occurred and then heat. Start with some gentle massage as well. The goal of both those activities is to get blood into the area to speed healing. Massage can also help break down any scar tissue but make sure however hard you do it there is no pain. A little discomfort is okay, but no pain.

When you think it's healed, wait another week before you do any really strenuous activity to avoid re-injuring it and having to start this process all over.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    imxnianne wrote: »
    A doctor didn’t really check anything except my breathing. It’s kind of *kitten* on why they would do that but it is really painful. I did light cardio yesterday but today it’s stiff and painful. The muscle relaxer killed me last night and I was itchy from it. Maybe I had an allergic reaction or maybe it was from playing with the dogs too much.

I curious on how long it would take? I’m assuming weeks but will the pain be this hurtful for weeks?

If doctor doesn't put you on restriction, which I would doubt Dr would, there is zero reason not to train.

Literature strongly suggest that training at the right dosage of intensity and volume helps heal. A doctor knows this, hence why it would be surprising.

The worse thing you could possibly do is not train.

How long it takes depends on many varibles, but with training very short amount of time compared to not training. Training also helps prevent scar tissue and reoccurrence of the injury. Not training could promote scar tissue.

Suggestion is to train at a intensity that doesn't make pain worse and actually dissipates as the session goes on.

Ice is a poor suggestion as it actually slows healing and blood flow. There was a study recently that shows massage actually bring blood towards the skin away from muscle. So massage might feel good but doesn't necessarily do any healing other than a placebo because humans like to be massaged.