Ate about 3500 calories on my birthday?

Options
Hey y’all! Just looking for some rational support. Yesterday I had my birthday dinner and decided to go to Chili’s. Well, I just about racked up 3500 cals (1 whole pound!!) and of course yesterday I weighed myself for the first time in 2 weeks and had lost 9lbs.
Generally I stick to 1400 calories a day and the way I ate yesterday basically meant I just ate an extra two and a half days of calories! Is there any hope that I’ll lose anything this week? My TDEE is around 2500 (289lbs, 5’8).
Sorry for the vent/irrationality 😥

Replies

• MPDean
    MPDean Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    You treated yourself on your birthday. Get back to normal and don't beat yourself up for having one big meal.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Hey y’all! Just looking for some rational support. Yesterday I had my birthday dinner and decided to go to Chili’s. Well, I just about racked up 3500 cals (1 whole pound!!) and of course yesterday I weighed myself for the first time in 2 weeks and had lost 9lbs.
    Generally I stick to 1400 calories a day and the way I ate yesterday basically meant I just ate an extra two and a half days of calories! Is there any hope that I’ll lose anything this week? My TDEE is around 2500 (289lbs, 5’8).

if your TDEE is 2500, and you ate 3500 then you overate by 1000 cals which is less than half a pound...

^This, essentially this will set you back 3 days, one day overate, and 2 days to make up for the overage... so if your goal was to lose weight in 3 months, not it is 3 months and 3 days, not a big deal in the grand scheme of things
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    As others have mentioned, you only overate maintenance by about 1000 calories. In the scheme of things, as one day, that's not even measurable. Don't beat yourself up about it. You only get one birthday a year :smile:
  • Britxclarity
    Britxclarity Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday! And also just remember this is a lifestyle change. One day isn't going to stop your progress not at all. :)
  • jennabeauchesne1
    jennabeauchesne1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the help 🙂 I didn’t realize that it was only 1000 over my TDEE. It was nice to get the support. Thank you!!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

if your TDEE is 2500, and you ate 3500 then you overate by 1000 cals which is less than half a pound...

Plus if your normal intake is 1400 that means you’re eating at roughly a 1000 cal deficit per day. So one day over means you’ve negated a single day’s deficit but you have the other days in the week adding up to close to a 6000 cal deficit for the week.

You’ll likely see a spike due to water retention if you weigh daily but overall you will still be in a deficit, and a big one, for the week.

Patience and perspective young padawan.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Plus if your normal intake is 1400 that means you’re eating at roughly a 1000 cal deficit per day. So one day over means you’ve negated a single day’s deficit but you have the other days in the week adding up to close to a 6000 cal deficit for the week.

You’ll likely see a spike due to water retention if you weigh daily but overall you will still be in a deficit, and a big one, for the week.

Patience and perspective young padawan.

exactly what @WinoGelato said.