Lexapro and weight gain

Options
jakeysmom22
jakeysmom22 Posts: 1 Member
edited February 2019 in Motivation and Support
I've been on lexapro for about a year and a half and have gained close to 50 lbs. Has anyone else had this same issue and if so, have you been successful losing weight without going off the medication? Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I have been on that med for 10+ years and I have had reasonable fluctuations in weight (15 lb up and down) that I do NOT think had anything to do with the medication. For myself it was just overestimating my activity levels and eating too much. Just my experience.
  • JenniferAndres
    JenniferAndres Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I was big and gaining before going on Lexapro. I don’t think it’s the drug that did it. Been taking Lexapro for about 10 years now.
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,629 Member
    Options
    I gained about 20 pounds, but I’ve lost 5 of them recently by recommitting to exercising consistently, logging my food consistently and cutting way back on alcohol.

Lexapro supposedly doesn’t make you gain lots of weight compared to other SSRI’s, but Who knows. You may want to pick up a food scale and see what you are really eating- you may be surprised. Also get a heart rate monitor that calculates calories lost. It’s much more accurate than what MFP says.
  • aguilar_k3
    aguilar_k3 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have to disagree with other people here--the medication can make you gain weight. I'm sick of people shouting "It's calories in vs. calories out!!!" while pretending that ABSOLUTELY NOTHING can impact the second part of that equation (even though we already know that isn't true). Unlike the the poster above, I kicked my own butt trying to lose weight for over a year--having never struggled with my weight previously--and experienced loss at a significantly lower rate than anticipated based on my caloric deficit (if at all).

I've been working with a psychiatrist and have been assured that, just because I experienced weight gain with one medication in the class, it doesn't mean that will happen with all of them. If you haven't already, I suggest talking to an actual psych rather than a GP to get that extra expertise.
  • realslowrecovery2016
    Options
    I don't think my meds caused me to gain weight. I think the binge-eating and lack of exercise did it for me. Oh, and divorce lol.