Protein vs Fat vs Carbs

Options
Hello, how do I figure out the ideal percentages for carbs, fats and proteins for my meals. I do eat a modified gluten free diet but other than that do like to eat all food groups. I set up 25% carbs, 30% fat and 45% protein. I need to lose 15 pounds!

Replies

• foodmom
    foodmom Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    what is your calorie goal? i would hypotesize that 45% protein may be too high for many people (on 1200cal that is 135g of protein - which is what i eat on a daily basis with a calorie goal of 2700cal)
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    40 carb, 30 and 30 for protein and fat works for me - I actually set my protein goal as .8 x goal weight and that worked out to that percentage split more or less.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    For most people, the MFP standard macro allocation is fine. (50-30-20). I've customized mine to 40 carbs -35 fat-25 protein because it works a bit better for me. 45% protein is excessive and I think going to be difficult to hit in a diet that doesn't involve a lot of protein shakes.
  • wyeth84
    wyeth84 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I also have a 30% carbs 35% protein 35% fat and i almost never hit my protein goal. I don't do shakes, I watch my sodium and processed food in general and it get's challenging some days LOL
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    foodmom wrote: »
    Hello, how do I figure out the ideal percentages for carbs, fats and proteins for my meals. I do eat a modified gluten free diet but other than that do like to eat all food groups. I set up 25% carbs, 30% fat and 45% protein. I need to lose 15 pounds!

As others have said, 45% protein is unnecessarily high.

What weekly weight loss goal did you choose?

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    foodmom wrote: »

There is no "ideal"...macro ratios are very individual. A bodybuilder is going to have a different ideal macro ratio than say a marathon runner.

Weight management comes down to calories, not your macro ratio. I would say that your protein target is excessively high.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,186 Member
    Options
    Agree with the idea that the MFP defaults are fine for most people, and that satiation/preference has a big role when it comes to weight loss.

If you want a MFP-centric way of looking at macros in grams rather than percentages, this thread might be interesting:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/

and this article, from a source generally recognized as careful about the science, talks about protein specifically:

https://examine.com/nutrition/how-much-protein-do-you-need/
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Weight loss will come from a calorie deficit. With macros, you want to ensure you're getting enough protein and fat but other than that it is just personal preferences.

This ^^. The calorie deficit is the most important thing in weight loss, it does not really matter how that is created. Make sure you get enough protein and let the rest fall as they may within your calorie target
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Libby81 wrote: »
    Weight loss will come from a calorie deficit. With macros, you want to ensure you're getting enough protein and fat but other than that it is just personal preferences.

This ^^. The calorie deficit is the most important thing in weight loss, it does not really matter how that is created. Make sure you get enough protein and let the rest fall as they may within your calorie target

Was going to say this. Maybe set a protein minimum and carba and fats fall where they may. It also depends on your goals and activity level. If you are cutting, there is some evidence that 1 gram per pound of lean body mass. If you are bulking 0.6 is enough. Also depends on your age. The older and elderly may not be able to digest and absorb protein as well.
  • foodmom
    foodmom Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your advice😃.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Maxxitt wrote: »
    40 carb, 30 and 30 for protein and fat works for me - I actually set my protein goal as .8 x goal weight and that worked out to that percentage split more or less.

Me, too! That’s my split. Works well for me.