WW vs MFP

Options
I do WW but am
always going over points, so i wanted to try this. Today I tracked on MFP and WW. Here is what happens I went over points at 31 today On MFP I am only at 1091 calories. I am so confused. So if i’m only able to eat 23 points a day on WE how low is that in calories when in fact 31 points added up to 1091 cals. I go over points atleast 3x a week. Thinking about switching to cals because it seems I am able to stay under 1200 cals but not stay under 23 points on WW. Thoughts, experience ? Also posted in WW.
- Thanks !

Replies

• smcwllms
    smcwllms Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    You're trying to mix two separate weight loss programs. That's confusing. Pick one or the other. It seems like MFP is easier, so maybe give that one a try. Why make it confusing?
  • smms0714
    smms0714 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    The trouble with WW is that it is inconsistent. If you eat alot of free foods you can eat too many calories. If you don't use the free foods you can end up undereating which is not sustainable. Personally I prefer MFP. I belonged to WW Online for at least ten years and never lost weight. When Freestyle came out I left and came here. I've lost 103 pounds and am on maintenance. WW works for some who eat reasonably and like the support of the meetings but for me MFP made more sense and saved me alot of money. It's up to you.

There's a group of ladies in my office who do WW. It always worries me a bit when I hear them say things like, "I ate 2 fried eggs last night since eggs are free." Ummm.... They still have calories, and there are things like cholesterol to consider. It made me wonder just how nutritionally sound WW really is. Just me and my opinion though.
  • rsj7799
    rsj7799 Posts: 74 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I do WW but am
    always going over points, so i wanted to try this. Today I tracked on MFP and WW. Here is what happens I went over points at 31 today On MFP I am only at 1091 calories. I am so confused. So if i’m only able to eat 23 points a day on WE how low is that in calories when in fact 31 points added up to 1091 cals. I go over points atleast 3x a week. Thinking about switching to cals because it seems I am able to stay under 1200 cals but not stay under 23 points on WW. Thoughts, experience ? Also posted in WW.
    - Thanks !

They assume you are eating some zero point foods, if you are logging on MFP you need to count them as well. The actual point "penalty" the smart point system assigns for saturated fat and sugar is actually rather minimal (as is the "bonus" you get for protein content).

Most things that have a lot of points have a lot of points because they have a lot of calories. They reduced the amount of points you get when they expanded the "zero point" foods (which aren't really free they are supposed to be the building blocks of meals and snacks that you add your points food to. You are also supposed to stick to the suggested serving size).

Basically WW builds in a "fudge factor" because they figure most people aren't going to accurately weigh their foods most of the time. If you are willing to log and weigh (with a digital scale) everything MFP is going to be way more accurate.

For the record I'm a lifetime member of WW but I only use the MFP app at this point. But I weigh or measure everything with a digital scale (or measuring cups for liquids only).
  • lcdreams
    lcdreams Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I’ve been on mfp for awhile and consistently track my food. So I joined WW last week and I did good (lost 5.8 lbs) tracking everything and I like going to the meetings. This week I’m going to track both mfp and ww just to see that I’m not eating to many calories.
  • Lenpayasa
    Lenpayasa Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    If MFD had real-world accountability meetings, I probably would go. The freestyle WW system is concerning to me.