Working out = overeating my calorie goal... help

Options
So I’ve started working out and I started slowly but now I’m working out 5 days a week for a hour intense work outs as well as being very active on my two rest days.
I always get 11000 steps in a day and I currently have my setting on here as lightly active and don’t eat back my step calories.
I do try to eat back half of my calories but....
On days that I work out super hard aka take my spin class & lift weights I am literally starving the next day and can’t stop eating..
I am beyond starving.. I have upped my protein by a lot and nothing is working.
This week I have eaten on avarahe 1800 calories which is about maintenance for me.
I’m really trying to get 30ish more pounds off and I love working out and don’t want to stop because it makes me so happy.
But I need tips on how not to raid the fridge after 😭😭😭😭😭😭

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Maybe dial down the intensity of your exercise?
    In terms of hunger people respond to different intensities and types of exercise, experiment to see what triggers hunger. For me low to moderate cardio has no real impact on my hunger, weight training and high intensity exercise does

If protein doesn't satiate you then experiment - for me starchy carbs are the most satiating foods.

Are your exercise estimates really so exaggerated that you only eat half of them? They would have to be double the actual burn for that to be reasonable.

• lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    How has your weight loss been the last few weeks? I ask because you may be eating too low. Eating half workout calories works for some and eating all of them works for others.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Been there, ripped the fridge door off the hinges.... Out of personal experience, stepping down the exercise program and eating at maintenance for a while, might take the edge off the food cravings.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You should be eating back your exercise calories. Doing that won't make you maintain as long as your exercise calorie burn is accurate.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    jnomadica wrote: »
    Are you sure 1800 is maintenance for you? That sounds awfully low for someone as active as you are.

I agree with this. I'm 5'3" and 112 pounds; I lose weight on 1800 calories. If you're trying to lose around 30 pounds, it's highly likely that 1800 isn't maintenance for you.
  • meganreid163
    meganreid163 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I’m 5’7 193 currently haven’t lost in three weeks sense I’ve started really stepping up my work outs. I know this is probably a mix of eating too many calories because I’m starving and binge and because I’m holding onto water weight.
    I have gone down inches.
    I will move it up to active.. and just really try to stay within those calories.
  • meganreid163
    Options
    Okay :) I’ll try that for a few weeks! I guess I’m just not use to eating that many calories
  • Brokentang
    Brokentang Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    When do you eat in relation to your exercises?
  • Chelle8070
    Chelle8070 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I’m 5’7 193 currently haven’t lost in three weeks sense I’ve started really stepping up my work outs. I know this is probably a mix of eating too many calories because I’m starving and binge and because I’m holding onto water weight.
    I have gone down inches.
    I will move it up to active.. and just really try to stay within those calories.

Especially if you're going down in inches but your actual weight isn't changing, you're probably gaining muscle.

I got away from thinking that the number on the scale was what mattered most and it's really helped my brain.

Good luck! I always get so confused on the calorie thing and how much to eat back and whether or not my starting numbers are enough, etc. So many people have so many different opinions on it, professionals even. It hurts my brain.

Great job on the inches lost and the fit lifestyle! The rest will fall into place <3
  • meganreid163
    Options
    Brokentang wrote: »

Don’t really plan any eating around my work outs. I don’t eat on a full stomach though as that can me sick.
    I do try to eat protein after my workouts
  • kimber0607
    kimber0607 Posts: 994 Member
    Options

Don’t really plan any eating around my work outs. I don’t eat on a full stomach though as that can me sick.

This is all so confusing at times
    I wasn't working out and eating 1400 cals....I hit 136 (5'8)
    I started working out 3 weeks ago, so I upped my cals to 1600-give or take
    Im not hungry...but I gained 3 pounds...I also have a pair or shorts I use to gage since the scale can be unreliable as far as muscle...and they are snug to button....damn!
    I guess its a lot of trial and error...but if u are ripping off the fridge doors..I would def increase cals...some healthy protein...maybe a little at a time so you can continue to loose
    GL
    kim
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I notice you said you are ravenous the next day after a hard spin class or weight session. Here's MY experience - I have learned that after a particularly hard or long workout I am often not too hungry - my appetite is suppressed. I used to rationalize, "Great! I'll eat a bit less and lose a bit more weight/lose faster." Wrong! The next day I want to eat the paint off of a car door.

I've learned that I need to go ahead and eat those exercise calories back THAT DAY. This keeps me from being ravenous the NEXT day. Your mileage may vary but you might try this and see how your appetite responds to when you eat.
  • superman4880
    superman4880 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You need to up your calories and eat a bake potato for lunch and dinner. Your body could be in anabolic which can cause you to eat like that. I know after I do a bodybuilding. show. About 3 or 4 days of carb loading.
  • meganreid163
    Options
    I notice you said you are ravenous the next day after a hard spin class or weight session. Here's MY experience - I have learned that after a particularly hard or long workout I am often not too hungry - my appetite is suppressed. I used to rationalize, "Great! I'll eat a bit less and lose a bit more weight/lose faster." Wrong! The next day I want to eat the paint off of a car door.

I've learned that I need to go ahead and eat those exercise calories back THAT DAY. This keeps me from being ravenous the NEXT day. Your mileage may vary but you might try this and see how your appetite responds to when you eat.

I totally totally agree. I’ve upped my Dailey calories as I think I wasn’t eating enough also like you said the days I was working out I was under eating because I didn’t feel hungry. I’m no longer doing this and eating all my calories and I feel so much better.

• meganreid163
    Options
    kimber0607 wrote: »

This is all so confusing at times
    I wasn't working out and eating 1400 cals....I hit 136 (5'8)
    I started working out 3 weeks ago, so I upped my cals to 1600-give or take
    Im not hungry...but I gained 3 pounds...I also have a pair or shorts I use to gage since the scale can be unreliable as far as muscle...and they are snug to button....damn!
    I guess its a lot of trial and error...but if u are ripping off the fridge doors..I would def increase cals...some healthy protein...maybe a little at a time so you can continue to loose
    GL
    kim

So confusing right!!!
    Drives me crazy but I’m just going to keep going, I know I’m eating better, working out and I know eventually the scale with show it lol