Can see where I am going wrong

Options
After logging everything for last 4 days can now see why I do not lose weight. I am on 1200 calories per day and often going well above my maintenance - need to find some filling low calorie meals. Think I would be better eating little and often as I snack at night. Will see how the next 3 days go as I will have put on rather than lose - good luck everyone and any tips welcome x

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    We all have to make tweaks along the way and figure out what works for you. You've got this!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    pre logging can help.

i would also question whether 1200 cals is an appropriate calorie goal?
  • Humblepie11
    Humblepie11 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you - it is only when you log you realise how much the extras add up x
  • smms0714
    smms0714 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    After logging everything for last 4 days can now see why I do not lose weight. I am on 1200 calories per day and often going well above my maintenance - need to find some filling low calorie meals. Think I would be better eating little and often as I snack at night. Will see how the next 3 days go as I will have put on rather than lose - good luck everyone and any tips welcome x

1200 might not be a great starting amount. Have you tried to set it to lose a lower amount each week to see if that's more manageable for you, then you can readjust later?

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    It's great that you learned what you were really eating by logging. that is a hugely important step for most of us.

do note that 4 days is also not enough time for most people to see a change on the scale though. our weight fluctuates daily (and during the day) based on water retention (which happens for a number of reasons).

1200 may also be needlessly too low a daily goal. what are your stats (current weight, goal weight, height, do you exercise?)
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    Many people find that increasing fat and protein help with satiety, making it easier to stay within or close to your calorie goal.
  • Kitsgirl2
    Kitsgirl2 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    It's not just about calorie counting. I found I had to get up and move more if I was going to move that needle on the scale in combination with counting calores. Try 5000 steps in a day if it's new to you and work up to 10000 steps a day. It also depends how much you have to lose.
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    I was on 1200 during active weight loss. I found it doable as long as I focused on net calories, not just total calories. I was typically eating around 1600-1800 gross calories and eating back exercise calories.
  • nwnightowl206
    nwnightowl206 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I find it to be a continual learning process of what works and what doesn't, I tried eating out last night and totally messed up my sodium with something I thought was a healthier choice, for me eating out isn't worth as much as it used to be it's too hard to figure it out at this point, maybe once I get to maintenance, but I figure I learned from it so I just have to get right back at it, I have found there are continual tweeks along the way, good luck with your journey, you can do it. :)