Dorm living

I need some food ideas. I am currently living in a dorm at the moment, I only have a microwave and a refrigerator in my room. I need some healthy meal ideas that I can make while I am here. I have approx a month left so I don’t want to purchase and cooking appliances (ex: blender, rice cooker, etc). What are some ideas that I can do to create healthy meals? I have access to a dining facility on a military base however I have been eating there for the past several months and have gotten very sick of the food there. I just want to be able to make my own healthy meals. Any tips and ideas are very helpful.

Replies

• lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,308 Member
    Premade/prepared dish that only require preheating.. salads.
  • jcraig10
    jcraig10 Posts: 477 Member
    Does your dorm building have a community kitchen?
  • steph_runn44
    steph_runn44 Posts: 28 Member
    Brown rice in the microwaveable bags/bowls, veggies you could steam in the microwave, frozen meals, fruit, yogurt and granola for breakfasts, string cheese and deli meat.
  • Milocmolly
    Milocmolly Posts: 23 Member
    lx1x wrote: »
    Premade/prepared dish that only require preheating.. salads.

Thank you!

• Milocmolly
    jcraig10 wrote: »
    Does your dorm building have a community kitchen?

I wish but it doesn’t. It would make things a lot easier.
  • Milocmolly
    Brown rice in the microwaveable bags/bowls, veggies you could steam in the microwave, frozen meals, fruit, yogurt and granola for breakfasts, string cheese and deli meat.

Thank you!
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    If your grocery has cooked rotisserie chicken, you could use that for several meals with different sauces, e.g. chicken mole, tomatillo enchiladas, chicken on just-add-water noodles, chicken salad, rice/quinoa bowl with steamed vegetables & soy sauce. Also some stores have already hard boiled eggs. Those can be pretty useful. I like an egg on a bow of canned black beans or a black bean/corn relish. Filling breakfast. Good luck in your next move!
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    A rice cooker is a good investment in general, and can be a good kitchen gadget to have post-college; I had one while I was in college, and I cooked everythinggggg in it. I experimented once, and successfully cooked chicken in it. I added some microwavable pasta (the Barilla kind in a bag), and tossed that in the rice cooker with whatever else I wanted. It was a great way to work around not having access to a kitchen, especially because mine had a steamer basket on top as well. You can get a good deal on it if you shop around.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    I rarely cook. Some of my lower calorie staples:

Oatmeal
    Lunch meat
    Rotisserie chicken or chicken breast strips
    Low carb wraps (50-60 cals each)
    Light bread
    Laughing cow light cheese
    Greek yogurt
    Tuna
    Canned soup
    Fruits/veggies
    Canned beans
    Turkey sticks (like slimjims, only lower Cal)
    Hummus
    Eggs
    Turkey pepperoni
    Jar Pasta & pizza sauce
    Unsweetened almond milk (lower cals than cow's milk)
    Spices

Get creative - chicken hummus wrap, bean quesadilla, turkey stick & veggie scrambled eggs, pizza wrap, etc...
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Milocmolly wrote: »
    I need some food ideas. I am currently living in a dorm at the moment, I only have a microwave and a refrigerator in my room. I need some healthy meal ideas that I can make while I am here. I have approx a month left so I don’t want to purchase and cooking appliances (ex: blender, rice cooker, etc). What are some ideas that I can do to create healthy meals? I have access to a dining facility on a military base however I have been eating there for the past several months and have gotten very sick of the food there. I just want to be able to make my own healthy meals. Any tips and ideas are very helpful.

I know you don't want to buy a blender, but a good blender like a vitamix or blendtec is a life long investment. Green smoothies are kind of a staple for me. Lots of recipes but I put a ton of greens, frozen fruit, water, and then some protein powder. I'm usually good for a long time.

You can also cook eggs in a microwave. I used to do this at work everyday. Just line a glass bowl with a fat and then prick the yolks and cook.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Also, I lost something like 30 lbs doing the zone diet while deployed and eating only at military DFACs. I would skip breakfast and then eat any vegetable they had along with whatever meat they were serving.
  • Milocmolly

bpotts44 wrote: »
    Milocmolly wrote: »

I know you don't want to buy a blender, but a good blender like a vitamix or blendtec is a life long investment. Green smoothies are kind of a staple for me. Lots of recipes but I put a ton of greens, frozen fruit, water, and then some protein powder. I'm usually good for a long time.

You can also cook eggs in a microwave. I used to do this at work everyday. Just line a glass bowl with a fat and then prick the yolks and cook.

Thanks for the info. I am in the military and have a short assignment. I will be back home in approx a month. I have the kitchen appliances at home and didn’t think to bring any with me that is why I don’t want to purchase any while I am here. I do go tot he commissary to get groceries so thanks for the info about the eggs.