Not losing weight on 1200 cals a day now.

Options
Hello everyone!
I’ve been strictly eating around 1200-1400 calories a day (weighing, measuring every single bite) for almost 3 weeks now and have not lost even 0.1 lbs of weight. My weight is exactly the same as it was before. I’m not sure what to do at this point. I’ve lost weight before (40 pounds) following the same diet I’m following now. I gained my weight back (35 pounds) in a span of 1 year and now I’m trying to lose it again. The only difference is what worked for me back then is not working for me now and I don’t know any other way to do it.
I don’t think I can eat less than 1200 cals a day, I’m planning on joining crossfit but seeing at least a little bit of progress would have been motivating.
Please guide.

Replies

• Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your food or just guesstimating your portions?
    You must not be in a calorie deficit if you are not losing any weight at all.
  • JaimeJaimeM
    JaimeJaimeM Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Definitely what someone said up top, I wouldn't recommend taking much stock in your weight or body fat percentage the week prior to maybe the first couple days into your period. I would however recommend weighing yourself those days, just so you can get a good feel for when your body starts to retain water and then level back out.
    On a separate but more important note, what it sounds like you described is a classic yo-yo diet. 1200 calories a day is NOT sustainable, and likely why you lost all that weight and then gained it all back. Track your macros, pay attention to your carbs. Aim for what MFP recommends for -0.5 a week and you'll find yourself able to keep the weight off for good.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    How often do you weigh yourself? It's odd that you say your weight is *exactly* the same each time. Have you checked the batteries on your scale?

This. It’s odd to me that your weight hasn’t slightly gone up and down from day to day

• Daisy_Girl2019
    Daisy_Girl2019 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Have faith, it will take sometime. I have same issues for a while my weight has been flactuating 135 to 140 for like 3 weeks and also on 1200 cal, although I don't weigh my food.
    Then one day I weighed myself and bam! 133 lbs. I work out 30 mins cardio 1.5 hours weight training from shoulders all the way down about 4 to 5 times a week. I change my work out for 2 weeks now I have been doing 1 hour cardio either eleptical or treadmill then spent 30 mins core then 30 mins arms or legs and that's when the weight drop.
    I read that long cardio, after about 30 mins, your body starts using energy from stored fats.
    I hope that helps.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,637 Member
    Options
    If for 3 weeks your scale weight has stayed exactly the same every single day then I would inspect carefully the location of the scale and consider getting a different one.

If you have been seeing different numbers then I would plot everything using a weight trend app...
  • brittlb07
    brittlb07 Posts: 313 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I started my latest weight loss journey on Jan 2 at 146 pounds. I am 5’4. I got down to 129 by March 20. And I haven’t moved since. I had been at 1300 calories this whole journey. I feel that prior to now, if I ate over 1300 or didn’t weigh something perfectly I was still at enough of a deficit that I was losing. But now that I am to my last few pounds, I need to be super super precise, especially at only 129 pounds. Ideally I’d like to get to 115-120 pounds. I’m going to introduce more cardio as it gets warmer but know that this will cause me to be hungrier and gain possible muscle weight. I’m not sure my response is very helpful, but more trying to sympathize with you. For me, I need to be EXACT with my calories. To the point of skipping any foods that I can’t trace the exact calories. Someone our weight has to be much more careful to the calorie than someone weighing 250 pounds on a 1200-1300 calorie diet.