Let’s talk macros

Options
So is it an either/or tracking macros and calories? By that I mean if I track my net carbs, I met my goal and still have protein macros left. But I’m over on calories. So what do I do? Go with the calorie count or the macro count?

Replies

• rpfeaster
    rpfeaster Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Adjust your macros to increase you protein and lower your calories.
    I’ve done a ton of trial and error to get all my numbers where they need to be. Odd things like adding fruit made huge differences for me.
    Best of luck 😊
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Calories. It's calories in vs calories out, no macros in vs macros out. Your macro breakdown will vary day to day. But for weight loss, the main focus should be on your calorie goal.
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    You should always aim to hit your calorie target primarily as this is the most important in ensuring a calorie deficit to lose weight.
    Then you can look at reaching your protein goal then the other macros as the next things
  • cjac524
    cjac524 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The calorie count. Focus on calories first. Once you got that down. Then you focus on macros. but it doesnt matter that much. if you go over or under on them - its fine.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    For weight management it's calories that matter, not macros. Focus on your calories first, macros are a distant second.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    dblanke01 wrote: »
    So is it an either/or tracking macros and calories? By that I mean if I track my net carbs, I met my goal and still have protein macros left. But I’m over on calories. So what do I do? Go with the calorie count or the macro count?

What are your goals?

Calories directly determine weight management.
    Macros can help with satiety and compliance, as well as some fitness goals, and minimums of protein and fat for good health.

If you are under on your macros and over on your calories, you are probably dealing with faulty database entries. Most entries were created by other users, so you need to check their accuracy before relying on them.
    Macros are what makes up your calories: Carbs and protein are 4 cals per gram, fat is 9 cals per gram. It's typical to be off a little due to rounding of numbers allowed on some countries' labeling, but you shouldn't be off substantially.
  • dblanke01
    dblanke01 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My main goal is 134 grams of protein because I’m trying to do some body re-composition. I’m also trying to stay under 70 grams carbs. Analyzing more closely, I am over on my fat grams.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    What I meant was... are you trying to lose or gain weight? Is your primary goal weight or fitness? What is the reason for the calorie and macro goals you've chosen? :smile:
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    rpfeaster wrote: »
    Adjust your macros to increase you protein and lower your calories.
    I’ve done a ton of trial and error to get all my numbers where they need to be. Odd things like adding fruit made huge differences for me.
    Best of luck 😊

Same here - I am with MFP for nearly one year and over time my macros changed a bit. Also seems to change with the season: in winter I eat a bit more fat, in summer more fruit and vegetables = slightly higher carbs.