Recommendations for Abs exercise

Am loosing weight and noticed my ab still needs some work. Can you recommend some exercises for abs apart from sit-ups? I understand sit-ups are not that effective.

Thanks

Replies

• BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Planks. Research the many variations. I have a plank challenge app downloaded on my phone that I do at the end of every workout. Planks are challenging and effective.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Planks. Research the many variations. I have a plank challenge app downloaded on my phone that I do at the end of every workout. Planks are challenging and effective.

∆∆∆∆ What she said ∆∆∆∆
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    I HATE SIT UPS. I like workouts like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmFonxf4D38
    I particularly like Shiva Rae's yoga programs, which are available on YouTube but also in DVD format. Not a sit up for ab work anywhere, and it's actually relaxing!
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    You can download the app ‘30-Day Ab Challenge’ pretty sure you’ll see results if you can stick to it and it has 6 different levels from beginner to advanced so you could work up through them. It includes things like sit ups, crunches, leg raises, plank and all sorts of variations on these. It shows you each exercise and how to do it correctly.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited March 2019
    Atomic crunch is pretty much the only ab exercise I'll ever do (because diet is so much more important & there are a ton/far too many less than ideal/somewhat ineffective ab exercises to choose from). Recently throwing in 1 or 2 measly sets every other day to end a weight lifting session (alternative forms can be done with swiss ball, or cleverly position your feet on a rowing machine on the seat portion - face backwards with hands on floor, or just do mountain climbers)

tj00k46tm3od.png
  • mdreddie
    mdreddie Posts: 73 Member
    Here's a great ab workout including bicycle crunches with Lacey Stone. Cheers!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5bvQCNdFMc
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    edited March 2019
    2-3 times a week, I set an interval timer and do 20-30 minutes of 40 seconds on/20 seconds off, repeating each move 3 times. I do plank variations interspersed with moves you do on your back to try and keep a good variation. So I'll do something like - planks, reverse crunches, planks with side dips, ankle taps, planks with lateral toe taps, russian twists, planks with opposite leg/arm extensions whatever those are called, on and on like that for the duration.

I started doing it consistently maybe 2 months back and I do see more definition, mostly in the mornings lol
  • Alexbuzzcut
    Alexbuzzcut Posts: 77 Member
    Six Pack Abs app. It’s fantastic. There’s 3 options. I chose the most advance because it’s all abs. The others have calisthenics. I noticed a big difference even after 15 days and what’s best - free! Hope this picture uploads. It’s a screenshot from my phone. x746a1uu1h7a.jpeg
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    I do side crunches, weighted side crunches (holding a dumbbell against my midsection while on a stability ball), dead bugs, planks, and deep abs ball transfers (I lie on my back, knees bent, hands behind my head, holding a weighted ball between them. I tense my abs, raise my knees toward my head, lift the ball and pass it to between my knees, return to start position, then raise knees and hands again and pass the ball back to my hands.)