Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

How does a HRM actually work??

I am interested in knowing how a HRM works....does it just calulate your calories as you exercise/workout or do you have to convert it??? any advice would be very helpful

Replies

• YvetteHowarth
    YvetteHowarth Posts: 8 Member
    It does everythhing for you. When you put it on it finds your heart beat n thats your resting hr, then when you exercise u see how ur hr goes up and also how many calories you are burning. I wouldn't be without mine it becomes kind of addictive because i won't stop what am doing till i've burned 500 cals x
  • Keefypoos
    Keefypoos Posts: 231 Member
    it uses data you imput such as age sex weight height then monitors you heartbeat per minute
    then using what ever calculations the manufactures have programed into it it gives you a max hearbest per minute an average hearbeat per min and a clorie count based on data recived, not all monitors are equal.
  • chickenpoppa
    chickenpoppa Posts: 207 Member
    Thanks everyone, what brand is better in your opinion?
  • jeff261159
    jeff261159 Posts: 385
    There are many types available. All f them monitor your heart rate, then based on your weight, heigh, age and heart rate at rest, they calculate your calorie burn
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Well, from my understanding of it, you plug your weight, height, age into it and it determines how many calories your burn by your heart rate in association with those stats.

It can't determine muslce mass or bone density or fat % so its not wholly accurate, but its a good measure.

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • Keefypoos
    Keefypoos Posts: 231 Member
    I have a Polar F6 it is 7 years old and has given me great service unfortunetly it is no longer in production.
    try and look for one that allows you to input Vo2 Max.

Vo2max is importnat for more acurate monitoring although not essential.

for every 1 litre of oxygen used you burn 4 calories
  • YvetteHowarth
    YvetteHowarth Posts: 8 Member
    i got the polar F7, i think any polar u can't go wrong with they are all good. Got mine new for £40 off ebay.
  • jwallace84
    jwallace84 Posts: 44 Member
    To continue this question, do you have to wear the chest straps to successfully use a HRM or can it calculate your calories based on the watch part itself?
  • I just got the Polar ft40 and I really like it. It was on sale on Amazon for $121. They have (had?) the ft7 on sale also. The main difference is the 40 can measure the Vo2 thing (I'm still not exactly sure what that is) and the 7 can't.

To answer a later question - yes, mine only reads my heart rate with the chest strap on. It is a large watch without the chest strap, lol.
  • sweetchick06
    sweetchick06 Posts: 30 Member
    I have had a Polar F6 for years and I love it. It's a chest strap and watch. If your comes with a chest strap that yes you must use the chest strap.

For the most accurate results, you want one with a chest strap. You will hardly know that you have it on.

If you are going to use the HRM in public, be sure to get one that doesn't cross talk with other HRM that are nearby.
  • jwallace84
    jwallace84 Posts: 44 Member
    Thanks everyone. I will be buying mine today!
  • chickenpoppa
    chickenpoppa Posts: 207 Member
    Going to look at some tomorrow. Thanks heaps guys:-)