My Body Hates Health

Options
Terytha
Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
Is my conclusion. A (not so) brief history of the last two years:

Tried to join an exercise class: one year in a brace to repair the damage I did to my leg. Also, ouch.

Tried some home exercise: unrelated severe infection meant I wasn't allowed to sweat for two weeks. Also: ouch!

Tried home exercise again: unrelated incident on icy walk resulted in a torn muscle in my back, laid up for a month. Not so ouch because narcotics but I also slept the entire time.

More attempts at exercise: my back is now prone to re-injury. My file at the physiotherapist almost needs it's own cabinet.

Trying doctor approved diet (more veggies, no bread, less fruit, no fast food) plus this app: actually feel like death. I have the shakes, I'm running fevers, I'm too tired to move. Can you be addicted to bread?! Its been two weeks already. I guess I also gave up cola for lent but like. I still drink coffee.

I wanna give up. But I don't wanna hate mirrors anymore. It's so hard. What the heck. This feels impossible. I'm tired.

Replies

• puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    What is your height and weight? How many calories do you eat each day?
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    you may be feeling like *kitten* because of the cola. You don't need to NOT eat bread. you dont need to eat only 1200 calories. work out a small deficit and start there. eat bread - i eat bread every single day. I prefer wholegrain bread becuase the white stuff doens't keep me as full. And less fruit? that's a load of rubbish. Don't fall for the fruit is evil crap. Fruit is great and has really good micronutrients. As long as it fits into your caloric budget eat all the fruit you want. YOu don't need to keto or be miserable.

You will be peckish - yes - but you shouldn't be starving. And also, you should have some diet breaks every so often - like one "free meal" every week or two when the peckish gets too much - it helps you stick to your calories. For example - eat in a deficit 6 days a week and on the 7th day you eat at maintenance - that's still an overall caloric deficit and you will still lose weight. And having the extra calories to look forward to is always great.

Re exercise, you don't actually need it, but it's good for you health, but hey - walk. that's exercise. A physical therapist will be able to give you strengthening exercises for your now-injury-prone back, so that it becomes LESS injury prone, and maybe you can do some other exercises instead.

Good luck!
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I can't have much fruit or bread because I can't have carbs. Its complicated but I have this health condition and for the time being my endocrinologist says this is how it has to be. It's that or the drugs, and... no.

I tried tracking my calories the last couple days but it feels pointless. I don't snack. I eat an apple for breakfast, steamed veggies with a little chicken for lunch, and whatever for dinner. Depression, anxiety and a general incompetence at cooking means dinner isn't always the healthiest, but I try.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,482 Member
    Options
    It’s not pointless. Calorie counting works. There’s a learning curve. It’s more complicated than you might think. But it works. Keep trying.
  • rosiorama
    rosiorama Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    It definitely is not pointless, but it can be frustrating as heck. Counting calories and eating right is not something you learn overnight. This health and weight-loss thing is a lifetime commitment. It took me years to realize that I couldn’t just diet for a few months and then do whatever. The weight always creeps back on unless you decide to commit to yourself and keep at it.

I started using this app four years ago - and I’m pretty sure I’ll be using it to track my calories for the long haul if I want to keep the weight off. Two days is barely a start to figure this out.

Maybe it’s time to learn how to cook for yourself? Find some books at the library? Maybe your endocrinologist has some resources you can be directed toward? Don’t give up. A lot of us know how overwhelming this can be, and a lot of us struggle with injury and mental health challenges too.
  • mgalsf12
    mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Maybe just trying going for a walk or riding a bike.
  • Daisy_Girl2019
    Daisy_Girl2019 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Have you tried talking to a dietician? I think you should seek someone who will guide you and help you eat right. Then next step will be talking to someone who is a physical therapest and would coach you through exercise with your condition.

Don't give up, you just have to keep trying.
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,348 Member
    Options
    After my husband died I wasn't cooking-seemed like too much work--and I know I didn't have the healthiest dinners. I got into crock pot cooking a couple of years ago. Lots of easy recipes out there that are lower calorie and good. I usually have enough in a full recipe for my dinners during the week (or I cut recipe and make a couple). While it sounds repetitive (which it is), it really isn't all that different than deciding what fast food restaurant to go to every day (and cooking at home is cheaper!).
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Terytha wrote: »
    I can't have much fruit or bread because I can't have carbs. Its complicated but I have this health condition and for the time being my endocrinologist says this is how it has to be. It's that or the drugs, and... no.

I tried tracking my calories the last couple days but it feels pointless. I don't snack. I eat an apple for breakfast, steamed veggies with a little chicken for lunch, and whatever for dinner. Depression, anxiety and a general incompetence at cooking means dinner isn't always the healthiest, but I try.

I think one thing we don't talk a lot about is how being hungry or undernourished can affect depression and anxiety. One of the big reasons I still use the Food Diary and log my food 12 years on is that I want to see in writing that I am getting enough protein, fat, and calories.

Do some research on neurotransmitters and food, anxiety and food, malnourishment and anxiety/depression.

It's never pointless to try to eat well. It doesn't have to be fancy and cooking is not a pre-requisite for good nutrition. I would argue that enough food and enough fat and protein has been a game-changer for me. I also swear by moderate exercise (like a 30-45 minute walk) and I take a Vitamin D daily.