Logging Medications?

Options
I’m wondering if I should be logging my medications. I log my foods- even the bad stuff. But meds, welll...🤷‍♀️.

Replies

• lindamtuck2018
    lindamtuck2018 Posts: 9,508 Member
    Options
    I personally don’t log my daily meds. I noticed some people take vitamins in the form of gummies and they have calories. Also, I had a cold a while back and cold medications can contain calories. A dose of NyQuil is 93 calories.

• RetiredinGeorgia
    RetiredinGeorgia Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I am 65, retired and I do my best not to take any medications beside an occasional aspirin.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Do your medicines contain calories? If they don't, then there is no need to log them. Most pills do not. However if you take liquids, they might have a measurable amount of calories, so in those cases I would log them, as you have to account for them.
    This is my humble opinion, but MFP has enough of our information - the company doesn't need to know what kind of medications you take or have been prescribed.

As for this, I understand it, but I'm willing to be that FB, Google, etc have already figured out what you take. I think the age of us having secrets like this are over. But I would understand if there are certain medicines that a person takes that they wouldn't want their friends to see in their dairies. In that case you can always just log it as "quick calories"
  • RunnerGrl1982
    RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    Do your medicines contain calories? If they don't, then there is no need to log them. Most pills do not. However if you take liquids, they might have a measurable amount of calories, so in those cases I would log them, as you have to account for them.
    This is my humble opinion, but MFP has enough of our information - the company doesn't need to know what kind of medications you take or have been prescribed.

As for this, I understand it, but I'm willing to be that FB, Google, etc have already figured out what you take. I think the age of us having secrets like this are over. But I would understand if there are certain medicines that a person takes that they wouldn't want their friends to see in their dairies. In that case you can always just log it as "quick calories"

While I also understand what you are saying, I was just trying to point out in general, that's not the type of information you need to be handing over regardless of how many other places have it. They don't need to be 1 more in a long line of companies that do have that information, so why blatantly hand it over? :smile:
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    It's a calorie tracking app, not a consumption tracking app and I can't imagine any medication that would have sufficient calories in them to have a tangible effect on calorie intake.

The closest I ever came was at one stage I was logging the fish oil capsule I was taking but even then I decided that the 10 or so calories in it was so small that it easily fell within the normal tracking margin of error so it wasn't worth the bother
  • lalawaterlala
    lalawaterlala Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I mean technically you could add your meds in to log them each day if you wanted to but it seems like too much work imo :D:D
  • JenniferAndres
    JenniferAndres Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I don’t think they contain any calories. I know one of them I looked up had like a -4 calorie value. (Who couldn’t use negative calories, right? 😜). None of them are liquids though. As for “quick calories”. I’ll have to look at that- I haven’t found that part of the diary/ap yet. Still learning....
  • TickTock987
    TickTock987 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It would be nice to incorporate a checklist with the food diary. I use the notes section now, copying from day to day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't know of any medications that have calories...useless exercise.
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I log supplements and Miralax because the values contribute to either your Macro or Micro nutrients.
  • Annemariezonderma
    Annemariezonderma Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    HAHA, if all of my medication would have negative calories, I'd keep track... But I'm too lazy to seak that one out actually ... :')